Three way horn system

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Everything but the bass horns will be replaced by EV SH-1502ER. The reason is, that the current stack is too high and I did fail to tune the passive crossover properly. Before the switch, I will try again to EQ both with tweeter and 2445 only. The EV boxes should work better before I get new optimized tops. I will miss the large mid-bass horns a bit, but it seems the small front horn on the 1502 will compensate partially. The next step will be the UICW by Patrick Bateman to try the Unity way. Sofar, I really like the dispersion and sound of the EV HF horn, so the alternative to unity is a more compact midbass horn or paraflex extended kick and a EV style horn with a 1.4" driver for the top.

So now the system is temporarily going to be three way again and in 80's horn loaded PA style:)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
My clone of UICW sounds interesting, but needs finishing touches - to seal off the tweeter horn properly (I planned to do this for the last half a year already:) ) So back are the EQ'd 2380s with 2445s (they make me happy) with 15" cone midrange in an old Peavey box. The EVs had a failed tweeter and I finally got replacement diaphragm to test today. New 3D printed horn is being prepared for my DE500 drivers and a paraflex style midbass/kick bin is in (very slow) production with all the wood cut for one test piece.

Edit: And by the way, I will maybe be able to get the original Danish Jealvox system, there is one for sale in Denmark, I hope it will not get sold before I will be able to pick it up and also that it will fit into my car so that I will be able to transport it back home.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I found this old thread again. Just a snapshot of the progress - Synergy horns are the way to go:)

Attachments

• D4391351-FF5A-497B-A836-5309544075D7.jpeg
    D4391351-FF5A-497B-A836-5309544075D7.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 153
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Even in this non-optimized non-symmetrical form I like the sound. Best of all the combinations so far. I would say there are two main things. The sound is great almost everywhere and also behind door in other rooms. Also, it is great for background listening while doing something. The music just flows. If a normal consumer standard speaker was used for that purpose, it always attracted my attention while moving around.

I hope this is not only "self satisfaction" with my own work - the dual 3FE22 speaker I finished today is also very nice and listenable. I guess I am hooked onto coherent point source reproduction.

In the background, there are some EAW cinema speakers (bought cheaply to get the nice drivers) - not bad at all, nice coverage, but the MEHs are simply better. The AMT version on the left is the most detailed speaker I have ever heard so far, the DE500 in the other one is really far behind. I want to build up a second AMT synergy and also pull out my Peavey FH1 clones from the storage to use for midbass.

The funny thing is, I did not miss the bass much until I turned on the bass horns:)

Most probably, large 3 way MEHs will be built based on Beyma CP755Nd, BC 4NDF34 and some 10" - 12" neo speaker - to get rid of the separate midbass horn. I would like to use the AMT for HF, but that brings some extra challenges.

There are also plans on refurbishing some 15" midbass horns meanwhile.

I am enjoying working on this almost as much as listening. I see that in a few years, I will have my ultimate system finished, but still want to explore the different options. It is a nice hobby:)

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have just read the final part of Bjørn Kolbrek's series on his Big Ben D bass horn. While his build looks great and the outdoor results are good, it seems that the PA bass horns (especially if I ever install all 4) do as good on the low end. Solid 40 Hz, however in not so nice form and more total volume. I must agree with the part where he says that with music, one does not miss the frequencies below that and that the quality of bass is great also. It also seems that even though the cellar is open to the garage, starway and other rooms, which is not that good with higher frequencies actually helps to couple the horns at LF better to the room.

Reading the article inspired me to try to distribute the two extra bass horns in the room to try to fight room modes, and compare that to stacking them into one place. It will not be easy, but it should be doable:)