Three things you can do to make CD players sound better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Elso Kwak said:
I find your signature offensive Carl!:hot:

Thanks for spelling my name wrong again Elso.

This is OUR Coat-of-Arms in the picture [/B]

It's very nice, including the little quack in the lower right.

What do you find offensive over the fact that ducks quacks echo? Or have I missed something in the translation? Are you familiar with the rumour?

Please email if you are not just kidding, let's not use this valuble space for dribble.

The proof is in the results. If you don't try it, you won't know. So try it or give it a rest.

Tom..........I still don't follow on what sort of clocks act like a VFO. It is really hard for a crystal to wander that much and that fast. Getting a crystal to pull 500 ppm is a challenge.

Jocko

But I have none of the "problems" you have listed in your 3 steps, with either of my main players, atleast not presently.

You clearly state: "Three things I guarantee will improve your sound." Does this apply to ALL CDP's- or specific ones?

What I am trying to understand here, is, what are the methodologies being used to identify such problems- given your idea of good sound- how can anyone relate to such a thing using the web w/o further explanation? How does something, say jitter for example, color the sound- things along these lines would be nice as examples explaining what you actually mean?

When I listen to a few of my other cheapo CDP's (side by side) I certainly hear a great deal of sonic material that is missing when compared to my preferred players - esp. the sound staging.

I fully understand the reasoning for this- better quality of the source player.

However, I will reiterate, what I do not follow is how anyone can relate sound quality differences w/o some sort of "image" to compare by, or at least measure for visual representation.

After all, isn't the goal good sound?

alpha_03 said:
Jocko- what a name.

Try a CDP from YBA, then make your comments, if you comment with out doing such then you are a jadded modder with an axe to grind, or, no ability to save up for, or, make such a fine purchase.

Tell me, just what is it you would mod on a YBA CDP? It's face plate color?

Alpha,

Which model YBA CDP do you own?

Cheers,

Terry

After admittedly skimming over this thread, and finding nothing better to do for the next few minutes, I figured I'd throw in my two cents: Very few high end digital source components are actually "created" by their respective manufacturers. Most, in fact if not all, are simply repackaged systems. There are different levels of "creation" in these products, to be sure- but most players start out life as something else. The "heart" of the machine is still the same. By changing the clocks, the power supply, etc., the hobbyist is simply doing what YBA, Bluenote, etc. are in the business of doing. And depending upon their skill, may find they have a pretty good sounding result. It isn't very hard to improve a CD player! Modding a high end player makes less sense, however, as many of the seasonings have already been tried, and discarded by the chef. A typical high end CD player is nothing more than a well modified standard unit, with a nice box around it. There are exceptions, but very very few.

alpha_03 said:
thanks for the design info Elso, one question, where can I get the crystal, or is a person supposed to use the existing one form a doner?

also what is the purpose of two -5Volt grounds (.1uF and 1uF poly) the ones before L5?

thanks

hi alpha_03,
In most cases you can use the crystal from the player.

I see only one -5V supply and ground is common for the whole circuit. Actually I don't understand your last question.....:cool:

I have improved the Colpitts oscillator so now there is no measurable freq change(within 10Hz readout).

How? Large reactance will cancel the crystal so you have left a LC osc, so use smaller capacitance in feedback loop and inductor instead of source resistor.

And now I will connect to pin 18 of my SAA7110 chip, is that correct or will I get smoke?

And does the freq. need to be exactly 11.2896Mhz as on the spec sheet?

Tom

EE

DIR170x...........YM3623.......

Of course, they do 2 entirely different things. Both of which have zero to do with your CDP.

Comedy this good, you can't get just any ol' place.

BTW, Elso.........you know the old saying:

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck...........

Must be a communist!

Jocko

Comedy

Jocko Homo said:
DIR170x...........YM3623.......

Of course, they do 2 entirely different things. Both of which have zero to do with your CDP.

Comedy this good, you can't get just any ol' place.

Jocko

You must go way back in time Jocko.
To the days af Archie Bunker in All in the Family.
"Hey meat-head keep your hands off my daughter! Gloria: Daddy that's my BF. Archie: you must have defective eyes! Edith: I will fedge you a nice cup of tea Archie.....:angel: OOOOOH :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.