Three things you can do to make CD players sound better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Getting more and more curious about the Superdac, Pjotr !
Thank you for the technical information. I heard from a few people now about the sonical qualities of this "ugly" machine ( as you and they say it, I have only seen pictures of it ). But how does it compare to the Shigaraki DAC ? I am into the non os thing myself despite the technical drawbacks.

Maybe I will buy one myself although I like the making of DAC's.
But why build it yourself if you can buy very good quality for less money without the hassle ?!?!

I will probably try my stock of OPA627 in it.:D
Your plan with the transformers sounds good. Sound quality using transformers will be a lot better than with opamps. Is there enough space in the tiny box for transformers ? My only fear is that maybe modification destroys the nice character it has now. Please inform us about the results.

M-Audio Superdac

Pjotr said:
Hi Andy,

Jean-Paul, I listened to many DAC’s in the past, from X-DAC to Wadia. But they do not involve me into the music. The top Denon DVD players with Apha processing do more and also the Shigaraki DAC to my own amazement. I am not saying the SuperDac is the best DAC ever but it does involve me into the music without tiring. The dac-chip used is the AKM AK4393. The 4 serial digital audio lines go straight to the CS8414 receiver. Putting a re-clocker into these lines is fairly easy. Building the re-clocker itself is not that simple. Build quality is fairly good. Printed circuit board layout is tidy and well done. But oh boy, that 2N3904 muting transistors across the connectors at the output… Look at the review link I gave, what is said about the sound I can only agree with nothing to ad.

:)
Hi Pjotr,
Is this the Superdac you mentioned? :confused:
http://www.midiman.de/superdac.htm

The review you mentioned in Dutch is the style that made me no longer read the Dutch audiopress! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :whacko:

"Building a reclocker is not that simple"
For you or for me or for the midiman not that simple??:confused:

Seems like we have to try the Ashahi-Kasei AK4393 chip. Delta-Sigma DAC with on board digital filter, oh boy......:bawling:
What do you think Jocko?;)

Re: M-Audio Superdac

Elso Kwak said:

Seems like we have to try the Ashahi-Kasei AK4393 chip. Delta-Sigma DAC with on board digital filter, oh boy......:bawling:
What do you think Jocko?;)
Hi Elso,

Don’t say I did not warn you for b*llsh*t in the article ;) . A HCU04 as re-clocker? Do I need to say more? There is no HCU04 at al! But you have to read between the lines. The astonishment of the reviewer tells a lot. :D By the way I already used the SuperDac before a read any reviews about it. It was a post on a Dutch forum that attended me on the review.

If you want to look at the AKM delta sigma chips have also a look at the newer AK4395. This one has also a selectable “slo roll off” filter function.

Regards, Peter

P.s. Elso, I just send you an e-mail.

Removing I/V

Thanks eagle 1...

Removing the I/V sounds like a new level to a DIY newbie like me:bigeyes: :eek:

Never built a circuit, but sounds like fun though.

If I am to understand Jocko's original post then, this means it is better sonically to build one of his I/V circuits on a daughter board and connect is in place of the my cascoded current loaded ad8610s as I/Vs....interesting!!!

I attach a link to the description of the I/V stage of my SACD player.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/93363.html

any comments?

I/V stage Image

:)Forgot top add the image to the above...:)

Attachments

• scd777 iv stage sm.jpg
    scd777 iv stage sm.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,504
i'll take a stab:
1. improve your clock quality (lower jitter, low noise power supply, clean up the power supply grounds, etc.)
2. use a good DAC in a well-executed circuit, with oversampling - lots of fighting about this one, i'll bet :)
2. improve your I/V converter (use a no overall feedback design. discrete will probably is easier, unless you have some stock of or access to some special NLA ICs and are clever)

"let the games begin" or "here we go again" - take your pick ...
:)

mlloyd1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.