Thor speaker – lots of help needed please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Alex,

I've not worked out the total cost, as the number would scare me and get me in trouble with the wife, but all in all probably £300-400. I did a lot of research on this forum before starting them and the XO that I chose was developed by somebody with a lot of knowledge and respect, so other than playing with the tweeter resistor, I've not had to buy any more components. In summary, the speakers sound fantastic but the vocals are slightly low, which corresponds to what I have measured (see post 73) and is what I'm trying to fix.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment waiting for Chris to get back to me, who has been really helpful in broadening my understanding of measuring my own equipment and developing the solution from there.

If I don't hear back from Chris, I will have a go at changing components and a bit of trial and error and I've set myself until Christmas to sort this out, but the trouble is that I don't have the background knowledge to know how each component changes the sound to even start the process. For example, the lows are already very loud as you can see from post 73 which I prefer in my listening room and listening preferences, but I can't have them any louder, so it isn't a case of simply during up the midrange drivers.

I'll take a look at the Driverack.

Thanks,
Alex

Assuming my previous post was correct, I've measured the attached.

Attachments

• Imp MTM 21-11-20.jpg
    Imp MTM 21-11-20.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 41
It looks like you've wired the complete speakers in parallel.

I meant access the crossovers, disconnect the drivers from the crossovers, and test impedance of the tweeter on its own, and the 2x mids in parallel.

While you've got the drivers disconnected, you can take frequency response measurements of each passband, and we'll use those in the crossover simulator. NB - Make sure the tweeter doesn't receive any bass by setting the sweep to start at 500Hz or so, and keep the volume level sensible.

Chris

Chris,

Attached is for the tweeter.

The attachment of post 118 was both of the mids together.

For both of the above, the drivers were disconnected from the crossover.

I'm not really sure what you meant in your last sentence sorry?

Alex

Attachments

• Imp tweeter 21-11-20.jpg
    Imp tweeter 21-11-20.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.