This little driver seems to outperform everything else!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been experimenting with Hornresp for several years now and have designed horns for 100s of different drivers, and have built several of these designs as well, and in the last few months I've been experimenting with the Tang Band W1-1070SE and it's capabilities in a horn enclosure are second to none. I've experimented with configurations of a single driver upto sixteen drivers per tower and even a tapped horn subwoofer with 100 of them and they will do anything and everything and do it extremely well. Because they are so small the thin metal cone is very stiff the motor is quite strong and when used in multiple configurations the drivers can be arrayed not only for desired dispersion and directivity but in such a manner to come ever closer to that "pulsating sphere" idealogy. The hornresp models show an almost perfect impulse response and frequency response can be made however you desire. The best part is that the drivers are cheap have very good excusion and four of these in rear loaded horn should out perform the Fostex FE206 and do so in a smaller enclosure. I think I'm in love with this driver!!

in a horn the Fs doesn't really affect bass extension, you just have to make the horn longer to go deeper. now the small size means that to get much volume at low frequencies you need to use multiple drivers though. My friend Doug made some nice little bookshelf units with one each of these that go down to 80hz or so but without a seriously sharp high pass filter they start to pop when you put any volume to them.

Once again almost irrellivent in a horn. But seriously it's a one inch driver, you take four of them suddenly it's 87db and still under $60. With an almost perfect impulse and the fact that the 1W spl jumps to over 100db in a properly tuned horn encloser none of these things matter. The only specs that really have any meaning for a horn loaded enclosure are Q, VAS, Xmax and mms. Mms is probably the most important one of the bunch when it comes to dynamics and distortion and probably no one has even noticed what it is.

Sorry but I haven't come across anybody else's designs for the 206 that even start to realize it's potential. I've built several designs of my own and have modeled hundreds more and have given up on sharing designs on this forum but misguided and uneducated people tear them apart and repeat false retoric that simply leads to arguments and insults. I'm not trying to start a debate I am simply letting those with an open mind know about the great potential of this driver. If the nay sayers want to pick what I say apart I don't really care but if someone wants to look into it and learn something then I will be glad I've shared my knowledge, if someone wants to argue I'll just let them believe what they like because that is what they are going to do anyway. I wouldn't ever consider putting any speaker in a "random horn" every horn should be designed for the driver, the room, and the person who is listening to it. No driver will out perform another in a horn that was desiged for the later. If someone wants a design for a particular purpose or even a particular driver I'd love to draw one up and stand behind the design 100%, but if I post a design on here nay sayers will tear it apart and brag up some half baked inferior design because somebody sold a couple of them. I've built a few of those designs as first projects (the Bruce Horn, and the Frugel Horn come to mind) and they, well not to put too fine a point on it, suck in comparison to the designs we've come up with ourselves since learning how to use Hornresp.

Well I'd like to see a new design for the 206 and also a few of the 6'' drivers..

Why not start a reference diy collaborative build for it/them, and get the ball rolling :)

The other designs you mentioned had a few ''naysayers'' too, but still went on and pleased many a persons ears.. I wouldn't let anyone stop you from sharing or completing a design that you believe to be good/excellent etc.. It is diy after all and lot's here want to learn and share, go for it :)

Some fresh thinking and perspective on the larger drivers could be very interesting and fun!

Last edited:
Well I'd like to see a new design for the 206 and also a few of the 6'' drivers..

Why not start a reference diy collaborative build for it/them, and get the ball rolling :)

The other designs you mentioned had a few ''naysayers'' too, but still went on and pleased many a persons ears.. I wouldn't let anyone stop you from sharing or completing a design that you believe to be good/excellent etc.. It is diy after all and lot's here want to learn and share, go for it :)

Some fresh thinking and perspective on the larger drivers could be very interesting and fun!

Dave - have you checked these out?

Woden Design | Fostex

As noted elsewhere, I've built a pair of the design that came to be known as "Valiant" for FE126E, and found it a considerable improvement over earlier designs of Scott's for the same driver. As "safe" as it is to extrapolate based on what I've heard over the past 10yrs in the DIY world, I'd expect the larger of this most recent series of designs to perform equally as well.

Thanks Chris I hadn't seen those yet.. Been all over the place lately from exploring Altec, the Econowave, OB, Fullrangers, coax, etc etc... Still enjoying my humble little system, and set it up a bit different once again and things are good :)

I was mostly just trying to encourage the OP on, and figure if he has a great design that he may want to share, then why not etc? Perhaps some of the OP's choice of words or phrasing may be somewhat colorful, but if he chose to share some designs and people built a few, the proof would be in the pudding so to speak..

I say go for it :) It's diy audio not brain surgery or something, who cares what people think?.. I remember making a few negative comments about the FH way back when, but suck it does not!.. If a design betters some others then great, if not that's okay too..

I've only built a few designs myself, the BIB's in a few variations, and MJK's GW H-Frames.. Some of you guys are always building stuff, like you Chris and many others.. Be neat to see or hear if the OP's design(s) rank up there with some of the better ones here at DIY and elsewhere..

PS. I'd love to see someone take on one of the AE 6'' drivers, but that would be out of the FR forum realm I guess.. Be nice to see the approach from the FR crowd for one of those drivers though, then dial in the HF,LF etc..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.