This latency is killing me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just "dealt" with win7. Ran into the same problem as SY and every other M$ vista/win7 user-sucker ( both OS's suck for audio). My main system is now win7 , so I HAD to fix it. The symptoms are like this : RME User Forum / Windows 7 DPC latency problem or mine (below 1). This was the same core2 intel/XP system that I posted with 8-12uS latency earlier in this very thread :eek: argggg!!

I found a partial solution to at least make win7 usable for real time audio here... windows 7 dpc latency - Windows 7 Forums .
The problem is not the hardware or peripherals but Intel's "EIST" (in the BIOS) and the vista/win7 ACPI/power management driver. When I shut EIST down in the BIOS .. viola! , I had a stable 150-200us "usable" DPC count (below 2), latencymon also dropped from 1K+uS to 60uS ISR/120uS DPC. The "fix" is to disable "EIST" in the main BIOS ... also I set windows power management to "max performance" (shuts off the acpi driver).
Latencymon 2.03 won't show the ACPI driver as the cause , just it's effect upon the drivers it controls. (ethernet , usb...) :eek:

Still , Vista/7 can't even come close to XP or server 2K3 at <10uS.. even with this major offender nullified ... why ??? I googled that , and that layer of DRM B$ that Vi$ta and 7 puts between you and your hardware co$ts you that extra 100uS. For VST synths or anything serious, windows server 2K3 X64 is the best pre-DRM OS (my daughter gets <6uS latency -2uS ASIO on her X64 server 2K3). For HTPC use and the internet I will stick with win 7. With my ASIO driver in win 7, I could get 25uS.. which means I could use my real time synth's on 7 (at least they would be usable).

BTW , I have 7 ultimate down to 30 processes and 240M memory/3 gig HDD space (faster than XP - GUI wise).

OS

Attachments

• win7sucks.gif
    win7sucks.gif
    84.9 KB · Views: 124
  • notassucky.gif
    notassucky.gif
    90.2 KB · Views: 123
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
good news SY I missed your final update.

I'm not surprised about the speedstep OS. I had similar problems with linux and my MythTV box with AMD's cool and quiet, was one of the things suggested as a problem for SY but wasn't his problem.

Also the comment about the inclusion of DRM makes sense, unfortunately something that is probably just going to get worse.... if XP is fast, then I suspect that good old win2k would be even faster ;)

out of interest I just tried latencymon and dpc latency checker on my win7 64 bit machine and got a clean bill of health... of course I'm not actually using it for any audio purposes.. figures ;) max in dpc was 229 uS and max in latency mon was 134uS.

Tony.

Just in case you see it again - does your machine by any chance have a nVidia GPU? If so, you need to turn off the PowerMizer because it makes your life, well, mizer. nVidia is well aware of it but won't bother to release a fix for those already affected, maybe at most try to fix it with future GPU revisions.

If your GPU runs too hot after you do that, install the nVidia Performance utility and control frequencies manually or by using profiles.

Attachments

• dpclat1.jpg
    dpclat1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 110
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.