ThermalTrak Transistors have been discontinued

RIP ThermalTrak :-(
--Major amp designers have already completed lifetime buys.

DIY peons need a group hug :-|
--The JFET is DEAD! The ThermalTrak is DEAD!
--Oh Lord, Help Us rise above..... rise above.

...OK....OK...now... NOW we need a group think!! :)

1) select an epoxy package diode like the 1N4004 with a (guess) 4 C/watt "physically direct attach" thermal conductivity
2) slip teflon insulation tubing tightly on the diode interconnect leads
3) put high-conductivity epoxy glue around the diode
4) Wrap the bipolar output transistor collector output metal lead around the diode_body+epoxy (Clamp until hard)
5) use low electrical resistance, low'ish thermal conductance tin wire to attach/thermally_isolate this collector+diode lead to the PCB.

At least 3 genius audio engineers invested months analyzing ThermalTrak!
Where are they now? Where are they now after this market diaster!

Newark provider notified me of this information and the manufacturer Onsemi, I confirm that all models have been discontinued. ...................

The NJL3281DG NPN ThermalTrak, and the NJL1302DG PNP complement are still listed as active items on the OnSemi site,.............
This does not compute !
Who's pulling whose wire?

The Leach bias arrangement has the diode body pushed into holes in the heatsink. I found that clamping the diode leads to the heatsink via a Kapton insulator to be a much more thermally responsive access point to the PN junction.

Brian

Attachments

• Leach thermal diodes2.jpg
    Leach thermal diodes2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 516
I have not researched the matter to know if the ThermalTrak is really discontinued. As many of you know, I researched the ThermalTraks a great deal and wrote about them in my book, "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers". I had great success with them and felt that they made a great contribution to making BJT output stages competitive with MOSFET output stages in terms of thermal stability. I spent many hours characterizing the devices themselves and a prototype amplifier in which I used them.

It is true that some had difficulty applying them, including McIntosh. Also, the OnSemi App note was terrible and misleading. However, once one understood the devices and how to manipulate the design of the required bias spreaders (e.g., usually variants of the Vbe multiplier), very good designs were possible.

The mismatch in tempco of the Vbe to the diode was an annoyance, but readily dealt with by those who understood the needed techniques.

Having the diode monolithically implemented on the same die would have been great, but breakdown and isolation problems intervene. In practice, the sensing diode in the ThermalTrak is mounted on the same copper header as the power transistor die. This still gets it much closer thermally to where it wants to be. Attaching diodes to the case of the power transistor is better than to the heatsink, but a far cry from the thermal tracking performance of the ThermalTrak diode.

I don't recall having had trouble with any of the devices, but my sample size was fairly small. I do understand that there were some instances of reliability or defect concerns. If OnSemi was unable to such problems, it would be understandable for them to discontinue them. I seem to recall paying about $3 for them, which I thought was a great price. The 5-pin TO-264 package may have been a PIA for OnSemi.

Overall, I am very sad to see their demise, if it is true.

The Sanken devices, being Darlingtons, appear to lack the ability to have strong suck-out current for the output device. I have not had any experience with the Sanken devices, so I do not know to what extent this limitation interferes with good high-frequency, high-amplitude performance. This matter relates directly to dynamic crossover distortion.

Cheers,
Bob

Overall, I am very sad to see their demise, if it is true.

Don't be so sad, bob..

May be sanken just want to say that sanken bjt driver + sanken bjt op will have good sound, and it is their advantage since long time ago.
Most very good bjt amps (soulution710, dan'agustino, etc)
using the arrangement with its secret touch. I also try this touch to other bjt and it also work with some fast sanyo bjt.

Bob Cordell,

It is true that some had difficulty applying them, including McIntosh. Also, the OnSemi App note was terrible and misleading. However, once one understood the devices and how to manipulate the design of the required bias spreaders (e.g., usually variants of the Vbe multiplier), very good designs were possible.

Are you saying that a Vbe multiplier is still required? The application note shows only the diodes and electrolytic capacitor as the entire bias circuit.