• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Thanks Vunce. So I only have to use the trimpots of the positive rails in PS and measure in them R155 / R175 to equalize voltages? Sorry for my clumsiness, but then ... what are the negative rail trimpots used for?
When I am measuring I have the feeling that with the trimpots I regulate very little, on top of that the measurement fluctuates on its own at its whim and thus I cannot have an adjustment reference. Also when I turn off the source the LEDs of the negative rails stay on for longer than the LEDs of the positive rails.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The Hakuin requires a single rail positive power supply, it doesn’t use the negative supply rail at all. Thats why the neg. psu voltages are higher and the LED’s stay on longer, no load.
Like X mentioned previously, the trimpot does regulate voltage, it adjust voltage drop across the CapMx transistor.
Measure the positive voltage at +V on the Hakuin, not at Yarra psu R155/R175.
Adjust the positive rail trimpot so each Hakuin board is getting close to same input voltage. There is very little adjustment, that’s normal for this implementation.
Also, look over the Yarra psu schematic and follow the flow of electric :)

Hello, it seems that everything is correct. Finally I have 76.6mA in currents across the output stage and they are matched on both channels, (VR112 = 11.5v), great! :)Now it remains to try it with music.
I put some more photos ...

Regards and thank you for your tips!

A36C3BF1-1628-4764-A2EE-382106BF7200.jpg
9B091B5B-7FDD-4105-9946-E7935527BB7E.jpg
DFAB2A53-52FE-44AE-A623-1A17C1F88947.jpg

Thanks X! By intuition I think I would like it. Yarra preamp will be the pair of a DIY stage set of Russian 6c4c triodes that I have bought from a hobby partner. This set will amplify the middle and high part of a three-way speaker, the bass is fed in class D. The truth is that I want to hear the result. At first my idea was to build the Alpha Nirvana amp but I have plenty of power to use for the mids and highs. Nor would I have taken advantage of the stupendous bass that the Alpha Nirvana 39w seems to deliver.
Greetings

Ok I have most of the parts for the MKII power supply boards, went 18V on transformers 22V not available but should be fine for Haulkin. Still waiting for built up regulators taking forever from China. Not clear on what is to be done with 4 solder points marked "add solder to Orhan pads, I will be using LT4320 bridge (if I don't screw them up soldering them).
Bill

Hello! I am looking for a preamplifier to fit my needs, possibly Yarra could be the one? In all honesty, with my limited expertise I have a bit of a hard time judging whether I am in the right place. Perhaps you could help?

• The idea is to have a fixed gain, single input preamp in a system where inputs and volume attenuation (*) are handled by MiniDSP Flex, and Firstwatt F4 being the power amp, driving FHXL's with sensitivity of 88 dB.
  • Since neither of the Flex or the F4 provide voltage gain, that would be the main function of the Yarra preamp. About 15 dB of gain should do it.

My expertise level is such that I have built several amps and projects and trust my soldering. What I don't trust is my capability of modifying circuits or independently choosing components to fit the purpose. Which is why I'm sort of doubting whether the modularity of the Yarra concept is a bit more than I can handle. All projects I have done so far have had building instructions to go with them.

What do you think? Am I in over my head on this one? Is Yarra a good fit for my use case in the first place?

(*) This is something that I still have to think about. I hate the idea of having several volume controllers in my system, but on the other hand, I want to do it the best way. I would have a good-quality remote controlled stepped attenuator available for the project.