"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wolfsin,

I'm still not seeing any problems. The parts in the schematic line up exactly with the BOM.

The BAL-BAL version does use a different op-amp in the front end, is that throwing you off?

I've checked twice and everything is correct.

Cheers,
Owen

I described its purpose in the post; its a multiple low noise regulator for everything, plus it also has a digital volume pot to control sabres volume registers, a toslink/optical input and a battery voltage monitor, so when it gets low it first lights a warning led and then when really low it shuts the regulators down into a low current sleep state so its effectively off and lights an led to tell me to charge which stays on till the charge is higher than the threshold voltage.

its a pretty chunky 2300mah ~14.2v LiFePO4 rechargeable battery (can rapid balance charge it in about 1hr, limited only by the wiring), gives me about 8hrs as it is and the only difference in parts if i'v using the bal-bal wire vs what i'm running now, is the buffers, as the IV/headamp circuit i'm using uses a pair of opa1632dgn (same as the wire input opamp except in a different higher dissipation package) so we'll see how much battery life i get, i dont run any voltage gain as i dont need it, well actually i run about 1.3x differential gain, so about 4vrms swing, so its just a matter of how much current the lme49610 will use into 28R or 300R will have to suck it and see; if its >4hrs i'll run with it

Last edited:
Hi Owen,
Well I have just spent the last few days going over this link and digesting all of the information on this great headphone amp. I am certainly no expert in regards to DIY Audio and have built many amps in the past mostly class A MOSFET designs. I have recently purchased my first set of descent cans being of the AKG variety and have just started a tube headphone amp and am looking at this for a build also. So please Owen put me in for :-

One full SE SE kit
One full PS kit also

Thanks again this looks awesome

Take care
Archie

Hi Owen,

I expect you're very busy with the amplifier thread that I've just read as well as this one, but did you get my PM?

If you can't do that then it's cheaper for me to by the bal bal kit parts over here.

So I'd just want one BAL BAL board then please.

Otherwise the kit.

Thanks.

Also, could I connect the BAL BAL to a single ended input by just grounding the -ve input and driving the single ended into the +ve?

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bernie,

You are correct. Those should be 1K resistors and not 7k50. I'm not sure how they got swapped around, but I'll be sure to fix them up. the supply should look exactly the same as the one for the original wire on the first page of this thread.

Cheers,
Owen