• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Wire LPUHP 16W Power Amp parts GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
indeed! yeah thanks for that mate, I agree theres little point to it, i think he just doesnt like replacing a standard unit with his rather than being designed in from the beginning. but i assured him that if anything being able to spec the secondaries voltage and current vs taking whatever is available in a can is an advantage, as we get that tiny bit more leeway and the regulators are built to handle more drop than we are throwing at them, as with current loading. So given they meet specifications the only thing that would be useful to check maybe is fit, but even that is pretty academic since its a standard can with tolerances.

D: 63mm, HT35mm and the leads exit 4mm up, which hes said can go up to 6mm and i think we should do that for making bending the short leads easier. though 4mm would be neater..... hmm

i reckon we're good to go, looking like i'll have to chase everyone up again though.....

Last edited:
well yes, because i'm going to have to get payment, in fact i would prefer to have money in hand before i send him the final order so i'm not chasing people up when they are ready and hes asking me for payment, i'm putting my name on the line, so may as well do that and the passives at the same time. chasing people up, because there has only been yourself, me, opc and bcg27 post in here for quite a while.

the cost with no expenses added at all is confirmed as the same

my cost is $49usd each, or $45 if we get 25. we were a bit shy on the 25 but I guess we'll see if he'll meet us part way
now that bcg27 is back perhaps hes OK to do the distribution from Stateside again? or Ed has too, can we confirm who is actually going to do that? I would expect them to all be ready to ship in 2+ weeks

Last edited:
cool, ok well i'll get on that now then so we have the numbers for passives. i'll get onto HYPERTUNE to see what we'll do about the sinks, as might end up being wise to put all of the kits together and send in a bulk shipment to the US ti keep costs down a bit, might even be able to spring for express between you all. standard airmail for a stereo kit wont be more than 15 including packing i wouldnt think, but it adds up with a few of you, so may be a good idea to throw in, we'll have to work that out, because there would be the cost of US domestic shipping added on top and the time for someone to label individually (the kits will be bagged individually already) then go in and post it. for those getting sinks anyway, adding the kits isnt going to add a significant amount to shipping those by themselves

Last edited:
ok guys still no pics of finished TX, but i have a few things to report. i managed to organize a few things for us to make things even nicer, unfortunately no black cans were available that size so we are stuck with grey, no big deal. we also have teflon dielectric on stranded leads, maybe even SPC if we're lucky. no extra cost afaik as this was a proviso for any changes as i didnt want to have to negotiate every upgrade here. all us here in OZ have wangled single 230v primaries and the other 10 units will stay with the dual 120; again no extra cost which is sweet. i do still have to ask about mounting hardware, i forgot last night, but since all thats required is a nut and bolt maybe its best we can source our own to suit metric or that other silly system.

ive priced it al out, i'm not dealing with any return shipping just now, we'll work on that either as a couple regional shipments to be distributed by volunteers, or on a case by case basis as there are people all over the place and bulk will be different for heatsink orders etc. so i'll just work that out later.

so does everyone have paypal? can people please send me their paypal and email details? i'll send the requests for the passives and keratherm out this weekend, then start gathering coin for the transformers during the week next week as shipping arrangements become less like mud.

have you guys sussed out your actives? did anyone on that side of the planet step up to the plate or are you guys all taking care of yourselves? we ended up paying tax even on the Australasian order, so it would have been stupid me doing it for everyone.

so i'll be making a mouser order soon too, did anyone want me to organize nice tweezers and suitable hakko solder tips for SMD? any of the other items i mentioned on the first page that people would like to follow up on?

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi qusp,

Can you clarify what the VA rating of the toroids is, along with the dimensions and the secondary voltage?

I think some of this stuff was mentioned on here in various places, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Cheers,
Owen

its all in one place back when it was up for discussion and when i called for orders. its pretty limited to what we can fit in the can on the PCB. hes got more cores in than we ordered (25 and we ordered 16) so i may be able to add if i let him know in the next day or do a second order, but the TX GB is closed quite some time ago, i gave plenty of warning.

from what i understand, the ones for Australasia (single primary) are nearly done

• 34.5mm tall, 62.5-63mm diameter, 2 x 16vac (loaded) secondaries for a touch more leeway than the BOM trannie, 26VA

• Aussies are getting 1 x 230vac primary

• ROW 2 x 120vac

• leads are ~5-6mm from bottom, secondaries in the corners to match the PCB, primaries in middle for single and very slightly spaced for dual

• 5mm mounting hole, 7mm hex inset

source your own mounting bolts

after checking stock hes found the PTFE stranded he has is 18awg not 22awg as he thought, hes checking into quick availability of 22, but we might have to deal with standard TEW. ROW has to have TEW anyway and no SPC available for anyone =(

why? everyone it matters to should know the specs, i was pretty clear about them. I picked the can for good fit against the PCB and the result is better than the one it was made for. I sized output for slightly better voltage overhead for dropout, to account for worldwide and regional mains fluctuations and i increased the core size as much as i could within those limits.

unless you are getting late comers just now asking you whether its a good idea to get them, at the last minute? It's well after the GB closed and the order is actually under way; i'm about to call for payment. i stated all these details and the higher cost several times in case anyone missed out and to make sure it was clear what was being ordered so there would be no misunderstandings.

just to be clear any vibe in the above is obviously not directed at anyone (especially you), unless there is someone about to ask me just now if they can make an order, that wouldnt impress me much at this stage, i'm not sure what would be the case, whether they would have to wait till a second batch or whether he can simply add to this one using the extra materials.

Last edited:
fully encapsulated/potted in a can

for snippiness above, its 5.30AM here and i was about to crash

I was planning to just get 2 x 115v primaries for everyone and be done with it (covers the world better than 2 x 120 these days and we can cope with higher output better than lower output in this design), but organized 6 with 1 x 230 and 10 with 2 x 120 just yesterday as a better option without additional cost, i figured that didnt need to be discussed.

now after that i'll find its you that wants them lol

Last edited:
no problem guys, guess i gotta fire off a PM for passives and keratherm payment instead of relying on people checking here and sending me their paypal details. its never easy

HYPERTUNE: i've got your actives here too, i'll just hang onto it all and ship together unless you specifically want them now.

cool on the heatsinks for the guys, i guess hochopeper and i better finalize our chassis ideas

HYPERTUNE: i've got your actives here too, i'll just hang onto it all and ship together unless you specifically want them now.

cool on the heatsinks for the guys, i guess hochopeper and i better finalize our chassis ideas

I've still got the opamps for HYPERTUNE though :p

I've got the buffers and opamps for jacob from NZ here, ready and waiting for distribution.

Chassis you say? Well that one really had been on backburner hadn't it, I've had my head in headphone The Wire amps and DACs...

OK guys, i'll follow this up with PMs and emails. to cover shipping to me, credit card fees etc the passives GB will be $42AUD/channel (must be AUD otherwise i will pay the conversion fee when i transfer to my bank and some of you will pay conversion to USD as well) this includes contribution to shipping to me and conversion fees.

normally for the cart, which is everything except the 2 opamps and main heatsink (regs and reg heatsinks are included), would turn out around 58usd for 1 channel and a bit less for 2, plus shipping and taxes. shipping to you will for most if not all of you be offset by the shipping for the heatsinks from hypertune and/or keratherm, and if we ship regionally it should work out quite well. we'll talk about taxes... ;)

it will include the the VAS/gain for both 15 and 21dB for BAL OR SE input options. this only adds ~1.25 to cover both vs one option, so i figure its worthwhile yes? i cant remember did we have a concensus on this? from memory just about all of us are going balanced input? i'm happy to just make it balanced only, but we should cover both 15+21dB gain options i think

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.