• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

This is what I've at the moment.
Tomorrow I can try a serie resistor.
Thanks for you help.
Guglielmo

Capacitive load could have peak in treble, but I find very low volume music strange, it could be impedance below 1khz is very high, but FirstWatt is little amp too, so I wonder about something else too:
A bridged amp can't have speaker negative to gnd. Is speaker negative separate from gnd on speaker pcb ?

Hello,
here you can find the link to the cells:
Mini Panels

They have a passive 12db/oct crossover and works from 250hz to the top end on my system.
I'm using with good results with Fetzilla and F2J amps.
Guglielmo
Got my suspicions that the panels basically look like a great big capacitor, and the Wiener for whatever reason isn't stable into the load. Try adding a small value resistor (2-4 ohms) in series with the outputs and see what happens.

If the amp goes into current or thermal limiting, it'll trip off for a couple of seconds (whatever the SU DLY pot is set to) and restart.

Current limiting on boards without Plimit is like a split second mute, a small gap in music, no pop or crack attached. With rising frequency you could see voltage rising quickly.
Found a diy esl impedance plot, could be informative, the series resistor(s) would raise entire curve

Attachments

• cone_vs_esl_impedance.gif
    cone_vs_esl_impedance.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 378
Setting for the modulation frequency switches.

Is there any sonic difference between the different modulation frequencies allowed by setting the AM0/1/2 pins ?

I know you can set them to avoid certain local over-the-air frequencies, but are there any benefits/detriments to any settings ?

Hello,
I tryed with the resistors (2,2 and 4,4 ohm) but no difference,
but there is something strange:
-No inputs connected and electrostatic or dinamic speakers connected, non noise on out;
-Inputs connected and dinamic speaker, no noise out and music
-Inputs connected and electrostatic speakers connected, noise on out;
-Inputs connected and electrostatic and dinamic speakers connected (One for channel), noise on out on both;
-Inputs connected only on the channel of the dinamic speaker and electrostatic and dinamic speakers connected (One for channel), no noise on out on both;
-Inputs connected only on the channel of the electrostatic speaker and electrostatic and dinamic speakers connected (One for channel), noise on out on both;
I hope this help.
Ciao
Guglielmo

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 373
Yeah. Ideally the audio source and the Wiener share a common power ground.

Though if the RCA grounds are connected to ground at the source (they most certainly are) and you ground the RCA shields to the power ground at the amp, you'll accomplish largely the same thing.

First wiener amplifier up and running.

Well, the first one is done. The box is custom made by Art Taylor, originally for the Charlize T-amp module. I gutted the Charlize out and put the Wiener to it.

Attachments

• SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Back_Top.png
    SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Back_Top.png
    907.2 KB · Views: 330
  • SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Front_On.png
    SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Front_On.png
    895.2 KB · Views: 306
  • SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Front_Top.png
    SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Front_Top.png
    924.2 KB · Views: 265
  • SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Inside.png
    SM_Wiener_Ampbox_Inside.png
    924.4 KB · Views: 201
Awesome! Let me know ASAP.

I've got kp93300's replacement board ready to send out, and inductors coming possibly today to convert one of my remaining 4/6 ohm boards to an 8 ohm board for you.

If it arrives, there'll be an extra 8 ohm amp available for someone else.

yep it's here. but...
it makes some rhythmic pops (more like finger snaps) on turn on, without signal.
and, when I turn off the source CD player, there's a hum which isn't present if the CD player is on.
I've got two power bricks for use as PS. the Lenovo (three prong) makes worse noise than the generic two prong brick. Both have the rhythmic clicks but the generic PS makes music. BTW, either of the two power bricks are alright with my other TPA3116amps.
I'd rather not try it again until I hear from you.

Could be.

The negative inputs on the Wiener card are floating, on most other cards they're connected to the board ground - I did it this way as it allows the card to be fed from a differential source. Unfortunately the differential inputs on the TPA can't handle any significant common mode signal, eg. a big difference in power supply ground between the source and the amp. If you plug the amp in using a 2 pin power adapter, the amp/source won't be grounded together and problems can arise.

If your source is single ended, connect the input RCA grounds to the board ground (the power negative ground, or the four mounting holes in the corners).

If you're using a differential source (say XLR's) connect cable shield and XLR pin 1 to chassis ground as well as board ground, and the differential pair to the differential inputs.