The Weather

How's it going northern friends? We had a rather uncomfortable 41.9C today, but the forecast for some suburbs tomorrow is up around 45. So I'm hoping for some snow...

I have airconditioning and a pool now, but when I was a kid I lived further north so it was hotter, and we didn't even have a fan, or fly screens to keep mosquitoes out. Geez it was tough trying to sleep at night!

Vancouver's weather at this time of year is often governed by the arctic outflows and by the warm currents coming up from Hawai'i.
If I am correct, this is the first time we have set January records for both coldest night and warmest day, only a couple of weeks apart.
-14º to 18º
A swing of 33º
In January of all months.

Yes I know we are way behind some others who can talk much larger numbers. Heck right next door in Calgary, they probably have swings of 50º.
What I'm talking about is setting the record for coldest and warmest day of the month of January in the same year.

Much the same with records set/broke on several Island locations this month. Already hearing rumbles of concerns over the coming wildfire season. The combination of rainfall and excessive snowpack melt due to unseasonably high temperatures already causing flooding and risk of mudslides; then when all that debris dries…

3.0C here in northeast Ohio, it has been overcast for weeks.

That's as cold as it ever gets here, maybe one day in winter. The record is around 0C but that's really rare.

My son works for the Western Australian branch of a plant machinery company whose headquarters and manufacturing base are in Iowa. A very senior figure from there arrives today for a week's visit. I think he's in for a shock!

+6,6 and sunny around Oslo, but windy on the west coast last night. (In Norwegian https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/abm7wL/ingunn-herjer-flere-tak-har-blaast-av)
1706783343773.png

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Living near Lake Superior our weather is all over the place. Can be cold and gloomy until July and turn cold and gloomy again In August. About 10 years back we had a very cold winter, the inland lakes were still frozen over in mid May. This winter has been unusual, little snow and quite warm. It is more than a month to the Equinox though. No telling what will happen between now and May. Going to be spending eight days in Cancun shortly. Their weather is reliable.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh, I know just by looking at online photos! :) My family's from Aberdeen, so we've been mainly up that side, only to as far as Fraserburgh (and inland to Aviemore/Cairngorms ).

Scotland is just amazing.
We go up in April, and then again in September just after the school holidays. Magic place! Even our Kiwi friends were impressed and that's saying something!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe NZ has some stunning scenery too and no nasty creepy crawlies, unlike Australia!

A woman was bitten on the face by a brown snake the other day while she relaxed in her pool. Fortunately one fang hit the lens of her sunglasses and the bite was ineffective... Brown snakes are rather venomous so she was lucky.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...brown-snake-bite-with-the-help-of-sunglasses/

On topic, we had another 42C day today. It was pretty warm TBH. Bugger.