The Weather

We have -10 degrees F - that's -23 degrees C - temps today. Not the coldest ever, but cold enough to be dangerous and problematic. There will be broken water pipes and trouble running the commuter trains, as usual.

I did walk 1.5 miles today. I usually do 4 to 6 miles a day but this weather is dangerous to stay outside for too long. It looks like we're locked into frigid temps for the next 5 days.

Southeast is going to get what the west and north have been experiencing. I have to go buy bread and milk. In our region, it is a prerequisite before a storm.

I will harvest my Collared greens this evening as they won't survive through next week.

Attachments

• 10DayForecast.png
    10DayForecast.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 38
@davym
Yes I was in Argyll for a few days during the June heatwave - really hot but all my usuall wild camping spots were packed out.

My last summer as an Argyll resident was inn 2019 and the start of June was great then. Probably due to the increase in sunspot activity.

I was up there in the September heatwave too but fortunately as the season was almost over, I had no trouble parking up by Lochs Awe & Etive and Glen Orchy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hot weather is not normally an issue here 🥶 it could be warmer but I'd hate to live somewhere really hot.
Hottest place I've been was a ships engine room at 55C (130F) I could only work in there for ten minutes at a time and even that had me almost passing out.

A couple of days ago my shed was at 54C measured with a multimeter with probe hanging in mid air (the day it was 41C, confirmed with the same meter). I don't store drill batteries and the like in there, but I do stress a little about all the solvents and chemicals - turpentine, naptha, isopropyl alcohol, white spirits, petrol, acetone, brake cleaner, methylated spirits, degreaser, paints, you get the drift. It would really go up if it caught fire!

The worst thing is that something has died in there (probably a snake) and I'll have to pull everything out to find it, as it stinks...as you can imagine.

I did walk 1.5 miles today. I usually do 4 to 6 miles a day but this weather is dangerous to stay outside for too long. It looks like we're locked into frigid temps for the next 5 days.
Temperatures beating down my attempts at a brisk walk, even not nearly as bad. Bravo!

I will harvest my Collared greens this evening
Recently bought some at Walmart by accident intending to get turnip. Met with a nice tasty surprise!

I had to bring my beer in from the shop so it doesn't freeze. Whiskey is OK out there. It was about 10 degrees F in the shop this morning, felt warm after walking there.

High of 0 degrees F today, wind chill 10-15 below. I'm going to try to do 2 miles today. I'm way way behind in my exercise. Last week I had a nasty respiratory infection, no exercise and lots of bed rest.

First real snow of the season expected overnight. If they are right, the city will come to a halt tomorrow. No one here understands how to deal with a pile of snow.
I had a laugh a few years ago when my neighbour bought a Landrover Discovery.
He was so confident that it could cope with all conditions that the first snow we had and he was in a ditch on a nearby bend.

There is a common misconception that all wheeldrive means your cornering speed is much improved.

They fail to appreciate that the same front wheels as on a 2 wheel drive car do the steering so awd is of little benefit on bends. In fact if the rear wheels push the front too hard, lack of front grip will be exacerbated.

Well hopefully you will recover soon. Lung trouble and cold weather can be rather uncomfortable.

Thanks. I got real sick real fast, but seem to have made a full recovery in just a week's time. I went from coughing my balls off to no coughing.

I must be doing something right because seniors are dying from the bugs going around. I recovered from Covid in less than two week's time earlier last year. Taking care of myself has paid off.