The Weather

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
We had snow for Thanksgiving (last Thursday here). Was 2"-4" but fell right at 32 F so it is mostly a glaze on the colder ground. Forecast is 25-35-25-35F for days, which will harden and polish the glaze.

I did not know west Canada or England could get that wet or windy.

I did not know west Canada or England could get that wet or windy.
This part of the world (southern BC / Northern Washington) was once the world's largest temperate rain forest. It rains a *lot* around here, and that keeps it green and amazingly beautiful.

Over the centuries, us humans have cut down most of the trees, and covered much of the ground in asphalt or concrete. Trees transpire - "breathe" water into the air. With fewer trees comes drier air. But it *still* rains a lot around here.

For instance, in the city of Chilliwack, an hours drive east of me, normal annual rainfall (statistically measured a few years ago) was a staggering 98 inches, or 2.5 metres!

What a contrast to Los Angeles, where I lived before moving to Canada. Annual rainfall there was 13 inches (0.33 metre).

But what has been happening in southern BC these last two weeks is something else entirely. A month's worth of rain fell in less than 24 hours on Merritt, the city where all 7000 residents had to be evacuated last weekend, as their city turned into a muddy, sewage-poisoned lake.

Chilliwack has been designed to cope with 98 inches of annual rainfall, but not even that allowed it to cope with the enormous amount of rain from one single storm last weekend. The city flooded, as many of you have seen on your daily news footage.

Climate scientists have been telling us for decades to expect this. Global warming results in increased average soil temperatures. Increased temperatures bake water out of the ground, leaving dry soil and drought-afflicted cities. All that extra water in the air is carried somewhere else by winds, but eventually precipitates out and falls as torrential rain, causing floods in some other city. So we get drier droughts, deeper floods, and both will occur more and more frequently.

Increased temperatures also drive stronger and more frequent hurricanes, which is what is behind Bill Shurv's current predicament.

The city I live in (Langley, BC) wasn't affected as badly as our suffering neighbours further east and north, but had its share of problems last weekend: VIDEO: Langley drenched by downpour – Langley Advance Times

As I write this, a street a few blocks from my apartment has been closed due to flooding. I guess I'll go park my car up the hill again tonight, in case my housing complex floods overnight.

This ain't your mama's weather any more, to put it in urban vernacular. "Life is like a box of soggy, mud-coated chocolates", as Forrest Gump might say today. "The rain in Spain causes flash-floods on the plain", as they might sing in upcoming remakes of "My Fair Lady".

-Gnobuddy

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s almost as if Mother Nature is reminding humankind who’s the boss; in short - not us.
As of the hour of writing this, Sumas has sounded again its flood alarm.

Gno; Tofino , that delightful little community that is one of Justin’s favourite junket destinations, averages 3216mm / 126in a year. But all those numbers pale to Mawsynram, at over 11,000 mm / 460inches.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
No snow, bone dry and -12.
If this keeps up electric power will have to be provided by foreign coal and gas plants this winter... Consumers total cost will peak at about 58 US cents per kWh today, not looking forward to february...

I did read there is some pressure to ban crypto mining in EU as that's using up a lot of the green energy. Not sure how successful that effort will be.

As far as I can see "climate scientists" have been ignoring the effect of aircraft trails in the sky.
While tending crops on my plot I for the first time ever had to wear a hat to prevent sun burn in the spring. Later in the growing season the solar energy went down as bush fires started and covered the sky with soot.
The aircraft trails keep some of the solar energy high in the sky away from the bare soil where it overheats cultivated plants.
The "scientists" just say that aircraft cause global warming due to CO2 and then ignore the con trails.
Someone who has no financial connection with climate change needs to make a full list of all the facts quick before misguided action is taken wasting massive amounts of resources.
We need to discover what the global temperature would have been without human activity. There is quite a long list of items that need to be looked at. What caused the ice ages? They took place before humanity.

Long term forests need to be replanted. Short term cover crops need to go in.

Well, one of the big contributor is cows and their...um...emissions, not aircraft...
Though aircraft also...
No need for a tin hat.
Just some answers to questions that have been ignored.
The meeter readings from solar arrays before and after the grounding of aircraft would be a good and easy start.
That would help us to work out if the overall effect of air travel is causing warming or cooling.
We still need to know what caused the global warming that ended the ice ages as that happened before humanity and can't have been man made.