The Weather

I grew up in a house with a vestibule. Easily maintained a 20 F difference on entering. However no need to overheat the entire house, just the nursery when needed.

We have a vestibule at our Ohio house BUT the prior owners moved "improved" the bathroom above -- if you close the vestibule door the pipes in the bathroom will freeze during a cold spell!

Snowing lightly here in N NJ, 25F, but very slick roads. Glad to have Blizzak's on the Ford Expedition.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I used to get so cold on my Honda 900 I could feel my bones cold in the bath when warming up. I suspect that was dangerous. I always revived my hands with cold water as I had been told. Sometimes that really was painful. My Honda was my only transport at the time.
I remember getting home from a long winter ride on my Norton Commando. Got in a hot tub and the water was cold in 15 min. After a couple more times I didn't do that anymore. :)

Did look around a bit today for thinner finger gloves one can keep underneath the mittens, trying to find a glove that also works with touch screens so I can operate both camera and mobile, something like bicycles gloves, the search continues..
Even a slight breeze cools down the fingers painfully.

Wind chill - Wikipedia

Attachments

• Wind_chill.png
    Wind_chill.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 118
  • air-temperature-wind-speed-frostbite-chill-equivalent.jpg
    air-temperature-wind-speed-frostbite-chill-equivalent.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 116
Cal, hows your "local opinion" on -5c?
Our coldest ever is -18º and some years it never reaches -5º so ya, that's cold for us.
I’ve heard they’re pretty tasty but I wouldn’t know! :p
They're fine, nothing spectacular. Kinda like alligator. Not worth paying an arm and a leg for unless you just want to say you've eaten it.

Did look around a bit today for thinner finger gloves one can keep underneath the mittens, trying to find a glove that also works with touch screens so I can operate both camera and mobile, something like bicycles gloves, the search continues..
Even a slight breeze cools down the fingers painfully.

Wind chill - Wikipedia

I use ones intended to protect hands from cuts while working with sharp tools. They are modestly expensive, but the first ones were made of kevlar and quite expensive. They don't really keep the fingers anywhere near as comfortable as gloves. They do keep the fingers from sticking to metal! Also they still allow the gloves to work keeping the fingers warm as a group.

I also see your charts give you five minutes of skin exposure. (I forgot to mention 30 MPH wind. Sorry.) But I do not recommend skinny dipping in very cold weather!

Last edited:
Yeah, with Raynaud’s wind chill and ineffective gloves for touch screen phone, and it can take a good half hour after shopping in fresh air green grocer before the tingling/burning goes away and proper pressure sensitivity returns to fingertips. Sometimes my nailbeds turn purple while fingers are almost almond flour white.

As with tinnitus, so far I’ve found more anecdotal folkloric suppositions on causal factors and “treatments” . But at least dementia hasn’t fully set in, yet.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
People freak out over these thing like they’re the last dodo but as you can see there’s plenty.

I’ve heard they’re pretty tasty but I wouldn’t know! :p

I think it's kinda cute that people will collect nearly 5000 of them and keep an eye on them until it's warm enough to release. But they said they have a large loggerhead at the moment. If that gets peeved when it wakes it can cause some damage flailing around.

I did see a documentary on Florida manatees once that showed the pools where the gators collect in the colder weather and this young manatee teasing it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yeah, with Raynaud’s wind chill and ineffective gloves for touch screen phone, and it can take a good half hour after shopping.

I have a mild form of Raynaud's. In cold weather my hands are purple and sometimes my finger tips are white with no feeling for hours, which is a pain typing at work. I've yet to find a glove combination for cycling that really works.

Inherited from Paternal grandmother. My youngest has hands so warm I can feel them through my gloves.

All sea turtles in US waters are considered endangered and protected to the nines.....as in buried up under the jail just for looking at one while your hungry!
There was a feller down the road here that had a couple hatchlings he picked up off the beach and kept them in an aquarium in his living room....the turtle huggers caught wind of it and long story short after wildlife officers raided his house and took him into custody its cost him a bunch of money just to keep his freedom.

To help explain how carried away it is.....if your house is within eyeshot of a nesting beach (which most of the FL panhandle is considered) you have to have ‘turtle glass’ for your doors and windows, and ‘turtle lights’ with ‘turtle shades’ ! :eek:

I’m all about wildlife conservation but these things are crazy abundant.

Carl I fish the gulf on a regular basis we see these things all the time, there’s so many we accidentally hit them on a regular basis....wrecked a prop about 80 miles offshore one day took 10 hrs to get back in on one engine (should have took 2 1/2 hrs) staying on topic the weather was splendid that day!

Just like when NOAA said the red snapper were almost depleted and just about shut down recreational fishing for them for 3 yrs (devastating the guide fisherman who relied on the tourist income from it).......we knew better, now they backpeddled and said there was a math mistake when calculating. Most of these people making the laws never leave the office.

Last edited:
Not sure about manatees but alligators knew suspended animation long before humans realized it.

I lived in western Broward county Florida for 37 years. Our house was about 1/4 mile from the flood control dike that separated "civilization" from the swamp (Florida Everglades). A drainage canal from the swamp passed through our neighborhood. Swamp creatures visited often. At least once a month I would catch a turtle in our pool and toss him back in the canal. iguanas were commonplace, and we would have to chase a gator or two away once or twice a year.

Ditto the semi-frozen iguanas. The teenager across the street dragged several large ones into his garage during a sub freezing night. They did a good job trashing the place once they thawed.

Iguanas and gators will seek the warmest place they can find as they begin to cool below their operating temp. South Florida can be 60 degrees on a winter day, but dip into the high 20's overnight. Often the warmest place for a cold blooded reptile is the middle of the street.

Manatees are warm blooded mammals. Long term exposure to cold water will kill them. They have to surface to breathe. Like turtles they hold their breath during sleep, but need to surface every 10 to 20 minutes for air while awake.

The warm exit water from the power plants at Port Everglades, Cutler Ridge, and Turkey Point make for a cozy place for manatees during the winter. Tourists often gather at a bridge near Port Everglades to feed them heads of lettuce.

We found this large orange iguana wedged against our warm steel garage door one cold morning.

This hawk got tired of eating swamp food, so it would fly east a bit and hang out on top of a telephone pole until a something would spook the legion of doves in the trees. Hawk would then catch the slowest one in mid air, take it to the ground and eat enough so that the rest could be taken to a nearby tree for a slow meal. This happened once a month or so in our front yard.

Attachments

• DSC07885_x.jpg
    DSC07885_x.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Quit_Looking_at_Me.jpg
    Quit_Looking_at_Me.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Bad_Day_to_be _a_Dove_1.jpg
    Bad_Day_to_be _a_Dove_1.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Bad_Day_to_be _a_Dove_2.jpg
    Bad_Day_to_be _a_Dove_2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 95
I have a mild form of Raynaud's. .

"Gambling, I'm shocked"

I have Dupuytrens Contracture -- also a genetically transmitted disease of the hand muscles. Most prevalent in Northern UK, Ireland, Scots most of Scandinavia and Northern Germany. I have all of the above in my genetic mixture!

There is a Dupuytrens Museum on the Left Bank -- named after the FR researcher who named the infirmity -- Museum is part of the Sorbonne I believe. Walked past it but never went in.

Carl I fish the gulf on a regular basis we see these things all the time, there’s so many we accidentally hit them on a regular basis....wrecked a prop about 80 miles offshore one day took 10 hrs to get back in on one engine (should have took 2 1/2 hrs) staying on topic the weather was splendid that day!

Just like when NOAA said the red snapper were almost depleted and just about shut down recreational fishing for them for 3 yrs (devastating the guide fisherman who relied on the tourist income from it).......we knew better, now they backpeddled and said there was a math mistake when calculating. Most of these people making the laws never leave the office.

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight over this because I don't know a lot about sea turtle populations - and it's only tangentially about the weather anyway. ;-) But as a one-time humpback whale biologist, I find it tricky when armchair biologists see a photo showing lots of an endangered animal and think there's no problem. I used to sit in a 20' zodiak surrounded by 60 or more humpbacks feeding within a mile radius of the boat. A quick video scan would make it look like the population was huge. But this was a tiny 600 or so square mile section of the southeast coast of Alaska and it's where perhaps a quarter of the pacific population of humpbacks spent summers at the time.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but fisheries biologists here in New England are bright and spend a lot of time on the water. For the most part that also seemed to be true of the S. Atlantic biologists. Fishermen spend time looking for and knowing where the populations of fish are. So it can look like there are a ton of fish when in fact there may not be. Good fish biology involves factoring these kinds of things as well as historic grounds and improvements in fishing techniques and more. Fishermen in NE used increasingly efficient gear and complained that they were catching plenty of fish so there couldn't be a a problem. Then the groundfish stocks, which back in the 1700s and 1800s were immense, collapsed.

Again, I don't claim to know much about sea turtles in the Gulf, but it's possible the story is more complicated than anecdotal evidence suggests.

Last edited: