The Weather

Except that HOT period coincided with massive extinctions...

Not Really

"The Cretaceous, which occurred approximately 145 million to 66 million years ago, was one of the warmest periods in the history of Earth. The poles were devoid of ice and average temperatures of up to 35 degrees Celsius prevailed in the oceans. "A typical greenhouse climate; some even refer to it as a 'super greenhouse' ," explains Professor Dr. Jens Herrle of the Goethe University and Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre"

The Cretaceous was the about the peak for dinosaur diversity. There was a mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous, but it was from a large asteroid and the actual extinction was brought about by extreme cooling.

Some of the worst years for humans, the "Dark Ages", coincided with The Little Ice Age from the 1300s to the mid 1800s.

It's also worth noting that from a long term perspective, we are coming out of the end of the last Ice Age. Yeah, the Earth is warming - as it usually does coming from an ice age.

Really well when it's clean. But then it doesn't stay that way for long. :worried:

Mine is of an atomizer type. Once a year cleaning seems to be fine. Really quickly raises the humidity from 25% (too dry around here) to 35% (adequate) and even to 50% (almost a sauna!)

Also depends on the mineral content of the water you put in it!

I just prefer not to have nosebleeds. My humidifier cost less than three bottles of good nasal spray antihistamine.

Last edited:
Not Really

It's also worth noting that from a long term perspective, we are coming out of the end of the last Ice Age. Yeah, the Earth is warming - as it usually does coming from an ice age.

What I have observed by looking at things written by geologists is that as we left the last ice age stone age people started burning wood to cook with adding soot to the atmosphere. This began to block sunlight holding the temperature down a bit. As we progressed further away from the ice age we had the bronze age and the iron age followed by the industrial revolution adding much more soot to the atmosphere causing the temperature to remain roughly constant since the stone age with just an odd glitch every now and again.
It was the 1950s when we began to sort out the soot problems and then as the soot cleared over the next 10 or so years the sunlight has got stronger at ground level causing all the doom merchants to say that almost every rain drop is due to man made global warming.
They are still blaming air craft for the warming.
Then in 2001 they grounded all the flights over the US for a few weeks in late summer and the ground temperature shot up due to the lack of con trails.
It happened again and this time the sun almost scalped me here in the UK in 2020.
This time the flights were grounded for most of the summer over a more world wide area. It was the first time I actually had to wear a hat to prevent the sunlight burning the top of my head. My skin normally tans readily so that I rarely need sun tan lotion as long as I take my shirt off early in the spring.

The natural global temperature must be higher than what we are now measuring with the air craft up there but 2020 gave us a taste of what we will get if we reduce soot and con trails too quickly.
At the moment if we don't want global warming we will have to put up with dirty air. We will not get something for nothing.
The clean air would be nice if we can find another way of screening the sunlight off.

Last edited:
What I have observed by looking at things written by geologists is that as we left the last ice age stone age people started burning wood to cook with adding soot to the atmosphere. This began to block sunlight holding the temperature down a bit. As we progressed further away from the ice age we had the bronze age and the iron age followed by the industrial revolution adding much more soot to the atmosphere causing the temperature to remain roughly constant since the stone age with just an odd glitch every now and again.
It was the 1950s when we began to sort out the soot problems and then as the soot cleared over the next 10 or so years the sunlight has got stronger at ground level causing all the doom merchants to say that almost every rain drop is due to man made global warming.
Then in 2001 they grounded all the flights over the US for a few weeks in late summer and the ground temperature shot up due to the lack of con trails.
It happened again and this time the sun almost scalped me here in the UK in 2020.
This time the flights were grounded for most of the summer over a more world wide area. It was the first time I actually had to wear a hat to prevent the sunlight burning the top of my head. My skin normally tans readily so that I rarely need sun tan lotion as long as I take my shirt off early in the spring.

The natural global temperature must be higher than what we are now measuring with the air craft up there but 2020 gave us a taste of what we will get if we reduce soot and con trails too quickly.
At the moment if we don't want global warming we will have to put up with dirty air. We will not get something for nothing.
The clean air would be nice if we can find another way of screening the sunlight off.

Well, one of the big contributor is cows and their...um...emissions, not aircraft...
Though aircraft also...

Mine is of an atomizer type. Once a year cleaning seems to be fine. Really quickly raises the humidity from 25% (too dry around here) to 35% (adequate) and even to 50% (almost a sauna!)

Also depends on the mineral content of the water you put in it!
Still a hassle, picky choice of water or demineralizer is needed. I've tried it and realized how much of its white dust accumulates on (and inside) my electronics. :eek: I returned it within a week and got the warm mist type.

Main controller of earth's surface temperature is the water vapor also known as clouds, not the soot.

Still a hassle, picky choice of water or demineralizer is needed. I've tried it and realized how much of its white dust accumulates on (and inside) my electronics. :eek: I returned it within a week and got the warm mist type.

Tap water here works fine.

Side benefit is with higher humidity you can drop the thermostat tempetature setting and still feel warm.

Kaffi, that looks awesome......reminds me of the winter camping we used to do in scouts.
Yeah, it's really nice, that first pic is us in the garden next to the house, we went to the neighbours field with some toboggans. Keepin' it simple.
I know the deep south of the United States took a beating with real snow this week.
10 inches in Huntsville, Alabama. How big of a deal is that?

Normal weather coverage:
View attachment 910986

11c and they have to tell people to put on a sweater over their t-shirts...
What has the world come to?

-21c today, was out skiing, but it was too cold to take off my mittens and take a picture, the touchscreen also gets a bit unresponsive when it's cool-ish.

Edit:
Disagree. This place is a lot of contrarians. Discussing "heat" on a "cold" thread is perfectly on-topic for this place.

Agreed, discussing heat in a thread about the cold is almost a bit like adding blessed crystals to a cable thread...?!

0:600 it was 8º.

Once again, no pants.

I feel sorry for you Scandinavians. You too Finland!

Who are you feeling sorry for? It's all good over here! So nice and dry outside, no slush, no rain.

Last edited:
About "Baby, it's old out there" thing...
Scandinavian Mountains - Wikipedia

Scandinavia is one of the most densily populated northern areas, because of Golf stream warming it up. But variations here are dramatic, the Scandinavian mountains and Baltic sea make a mess!

Here in Finland we have almost continental weather with slow changes and freezing temps, ice on lakes and snow for 5-6 months a year. Coastal area is different naturally. Some exceptions of course, and winter 2019-20 was the warmest in measurement history! Last Friday we had -30C and now on Sunday only -5C here in Central Finland.

Global warming means more variations and more rain in Scandinavia. Birds are the first to react, but humans will always complain about the weather...

Attachments

• slk.jpg
    slk.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited: