The Weather

Dear Mr. Gimp,
Most of the world uses the scale where 0º is freezing and 100º is boiling. Not sure where Mr. Fahrenheit got his idea but it strikes me that he put the numbers on his thermometer and then transferred his findings to paper. Hence the 32º and 212º Mr. Celsius on the other hand was much wiser. He witnessed the results and added the numbers accordingly.
If my underwear was showing 37ºF, I can assure you, my wife would be most distressed by this, as would I. Let's call it the Willy Nelson effect.
Other than that, thank you for your interest in my breeches. I shall keep this mind.

Aw..too bad the rest of you all in the northern latitudes...it's suppose to get to 28C here in a few days, I'll run some hot sand between my toes for ya all..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick..........

Attachments

• profilepic54531_1.gif
    profilepic54531_1.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 114
Not sure, could probably be some kind of fungus. Weird that it's covering the gravel and asphalt though.... Curiouser and curiouser...

You mean the blue light close to the road? Guessing that is a crashed spaceship.
If you happen to spot pink snow it is likely a toxic algae. Avoid that.

On another note, anyone else here happen to take clean snow and mix with Jello mix? Good treat for winter time.

Make that image bigger. I want to see if it comes anywhere close to my wife.

That image is locked away in "computer purgatory"...that particular place where dead computers are, hard drives removed & untold thousands of images awaiting being seen by human eyes again...
Sorry, but my recollection was of a very young (16?) woman with her boyfriend carousing in the shallow surf here, a long time ago...
That is a somewhat curious thing around here, you see a living doll here & you find their age ????what?
Imagine my surprise when an all-grown-up girl I'd been flirting with & buying vegetables from at the local store...she was 14!...Yikes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

37F would not be a "high" for Cal or anyone else in their underwear... 37C on the other hand would seem to be pre-Friday night beers for Cal. About usual in theory. Now, should he read his thermometer at 37.5C, it might be time for Cal to get off the GD forums and hang with his wife....

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....0º is freezing and 100º is boiling....

Are you SURE water ALWAYS transitions at those points?

In Fahrenheit's time this was not proven. Freezing varies with micro-contaminants. Boiling varies significantly with altitude. Purity and pressure checks were in infancy. Fahrenheit picked other chemical transitions which seemed less capricious.

Also he didn't get out much, and thought his freezing brine was as cold as any place ever gets. His "100" is body heat, redefined in later years to the odd number US moms know so well.

In Fahrenheit's time this was not proven. Freezing varies with micro-contaminants. Boiling varies significantly with altitude. Purity and pressure checks were in infancy. Fahrenheit picked other chemical transitions which seemed less capricious.

Also he didn't get out much, and thought his freezing brine was as cold as any place ever gets. His "100" is body heat, redefined in later years to the odd number US moms know so well.

LOL! When I read my thermometer at 97.2 I kinda freak out thinking I'm headed into hypothermia... :eek: :zombie: :no:

You mean the blue light close to the road? Guessing that is a crashed spaceship.
If you happen to spot pink snow it is likely a toxic algae. Avoid that.

On another note, anyone else here happen to take clean snow and mix with Jello mix? Good treat for winter time.
Yeah, that's it.

I think perhaps my favourite snow flavour is homemade blackcurrant syrup.

It's defined at ocean level. And it was the melting point, there have been some redefenitions:
Until 1954, 0 °C on the Celsius scale was defined as the melting point of ice and 100 °C was defined as the boiling point of water under a pressure of one standard atmosphere; this close equivalence is taught in schools today. However, the unit “degree Celsius” and the Celsius scale are currently, by international agreement, defined by two different points: absolute zero, and the triple point of specially prepared water. This definition also precisely relates the Celsius scale to the Kelvin scale, which is the SI base unit of temperature (symbol: K). Absolute zero—the temperature at which nothing could be colder and no heat energy remains in a substance—is defined as being precisely 0 K and −273.15 °C. The triple point of water is defined as being precisely 273.16 K and 0.01 °C.
Celsius vs Fahrenheit - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Also, just about the only country actively using Fahrenheit is the USA, just like the measurement system and 120vac on the power grid. :D

We know it doesn't and we also know why as Kaffi has pointed out. He didn't include evaporation is his quote but that's just another of the factors.
Also, just about the only country <snip> 120vac on the power grid. :D
And the world's second largest country. :)

The fun starts overnight tonight. From the NWS Pittsburgh:

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
inches.
* WHERE...Portions of northwest, southwest and western
Pennsylvania and northern and the northern panhandle of West
Virginia.
* WHEN...From 1 AM Tuesday to 7 AM EST Wednesday.

High temp for tomorrow is expected to be 33 F (less than +1C) low temp tonight 26F Tomorrow night, 20F. The expected winds are in the 10 to 20 MPH range making for sub zero wind chills.

Yesterday I made sure the show thrower and both generators were operational. I had to clean the crud out of the carb in the thrower. Our 80+ year old neighbors and ourselves each have 110 feet of driveway, and we live on a dirt road that must be cleared manually. The snow thrower throws rocks better than snow. That should keep me busy for most of tomorrow and maybe Wednesday morning.

Our TV, phone and internet will likely fail tomorrow. The pole in the picture rotted in half at the ground line back in June. Comcast simply hung it in the tree after cutting off those branches. It is still hanging in the trees today, 6 months later despite multiple calls, but now several more poles are in danger of falling. They won't fix anything that's not totally dead, but never fail to send us a $270 / month bill.

Once the trees are all white, there won't be any cell service here either, so we are on our own.

This will be the first major storm of the season and it has been raining for two days. The ground is soaked and several trees near the power lines are at risk of going down, hence the generator PM's, as we have only electric heat.

Attachments

• down pole.JPG
    down pole.JPG
    658.2 KB · Views: 79