The Weather

The chill in USA has made BBC news this evening. -15F with windchill was bad enough when I lived in chicago. -50F with windchill doesn't bear thinking about. !
Mrs K said that today was supposed to be the coldes day ever in Chicago.

Today was also cold over here. I had to drive some 6-7miles into nowhere to see my spinal therapist and it was a wonderful drive.
All covered in snow and the fogs started to clear and drift away and sun was coming thru, trees all frosty white and the road was nice and slippery.
Love this weather - cold, lots of snow and clear blue sky.:p

Not too cold today here in New Hampshire (20F/-6C) but despite the 1-3 inches of snow predicted, we got about 6. Local schools closed (they are getting wimpier every year ;-D) but my daughter has a 2 hour delay at her school 30 minutes from us, and my wife had no delay at all (another 30 minutes in a different direction). These mornings get a bit hectic, but I'm sitting with a cup of joe for 15 minutes. Ahhhh.

I need a vacation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190130-075759~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-075759~3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 114
I woke up this morning at about 5:30 AM. looked out the window to see blizzard like conditions. I couldn't see the cars in the driveway due to blowing snow, so I went back to sleep.

About an hour later I got back up and it was lightly snowing with about an inch on the ground. I decided that it was time to sweep a path to my car and start it, to thaw the ice accumulation for my morning trip to the gym and post office.

Come on guys that ➖ 20 wind chill makes ya feel alive.

I'll have to pull a George and wear only a shirt for the afternoon walk.

Me, wear ONLY a shirt.....you don't know me do you? Despite the warnings on my phone and TV I did my usual morning routine, but I did stop at just clearing my car.

If the snow is done for the day, I often clear the whole 110 foot driveway, and sometimes my neighbor's too. He is 83 years old and can't deal with the cold any more.

My mother taught me to dress properly for the winter. We lived in Miami Florida, so that usually meant jeans instead of shorts, and maybe flip flops instead of bare feet....

You can take the boy out of Florida, but you can't take Florida out of the boy.

Attachments

• P2360422_x.jpg
    P2360422_x.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Snow_Broom_1-30-19.mp4
    6 MB
Any scientists among you frozen people? If so, can you comment on the following point and tell me if it is in anyway connected to this cold slap?

The North Atlantic Oscillation is in a state of flux and is approaching a null point. The change over takes place about every 40 to 50 years or so. It is significant here as the timing of salmon runs appears to follow the change in pattern. (Our Autumn run has collapsed and our Spring/winter run is beginning to increase)

Our season opens on Friday - to a lack of rainwater and low river levels and very few - if any - fresh salmon have been seen! SO I may actually do some DIY rather than get cut in two with the famous Scottish Borders windchill!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Not too cold today here in New Hampshire (20F/-6C) but despite the 1-3 inches of snow predicted, we got about 6.

Huh. We were predicted 8", then 6", then just as it started they backed off to 3". In fact it turned to rain and the half-inch of snow melted quickly.

People think Maine is cold, but I'm cozy at +19F looking at the insane temperatures even in Chicago, not to mention the northern edge of the midwest. My furnace is designed for -5F, and can be snug at -9F, but -20F is just too cold for my furnace and my need for warmth. We touched zero a few days ago, but expect +5 to +20F for the next several days.

It's "wet". At least the local weather-station factory web-site is showing "Relative Humidity: 254%". Relative to what? (A broken wire?)

The chill in USA has made BBC news this evening. -15F with windchill was bad enough when I lived in chicago. -50F with windchill doesn't bear thinking about.

In my 18yr. growing up in Milwaukee I walked to school at least twice in -30F actual air temp and once 6 or 8 people died in northern Wisconsin when the LNG froze at -55F. Down in balmy Fl. planning to drive up to Superbowl LIII.