The Weak Links of Today's Audio

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well here is track with cannon fire in it:

File Name: 01 '1812' Overture, Op.49
Absolute Path: \\TV-PC\music\Early+Clasical\Tchaikovsky\1812\01 '1812' Overture, Op.49.flac
File Format: .flac

Just a question.
How is that .flac compared to the vinyl? The cd is pathetic in my opinion.

its a rip of the CD, have to admit a lot of LF boost is needed for the cannon fire to sound impressive.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Two channel stereo can create envelopment but it can't approximate concert halls.
If it's well done it doesn't need to. At least not the surround part. There is so much going on in front of you, the rest is inconsequential. Of course it's nice to add a little seasoning to the dish, but if the food is good enough you don't have to spice it up.

Throwing a lot of speakers at it is the easy was to achieve an effect. I have regularly used 9 to 12 channels of playback for theater sound design. Up to 200 channels for 1 special project. Or even 2 channels steered around to 24 playback channels to create a sonic space. All good fun.

But for the playback of >90% of recorded music? Astonishing things can be done with stereo and good acoustics.

It's not just the number of loudspeakers but the source material.

The Atmos article I linked to earlier broke but the key point was not that stereo is "ancient". The key point was engineers can mix one product that works across multiple platforms: headphones, two channel stereo, 64 channel immersive.

The big drive of music Atmos isn't to produce marginally better music. The big drive is to get their music into video games. The Future of Listening thread links to Harman's finding that video games are a powerful gateway drug to music.

If you own a music catalog and you want it to sell you need to make it sound good in video games. Most gamers use headsets. Now the headsets are including head tracking for spatial audio. Not just for an extra bit of enjoyment but because you need spatial cues to win in a game like Call of Duty.

People interested in listening to recorded music ($21 billion/year) will benefit from everything going on in the gaming industry ($180 billion/year).

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
when it comes to dynamic range, its double edged sword
too much is not good
i have cd which claims to be life recording of berlioz's te deum, in ny catherdral of st john with 400 musicians, delos virtual reality whatever, supposed to have very high dynamic range

when I listen to sting at normal level, and I put this cd at the same level into cd player, I hear almost nothing 95% of the time, then comes very loud music remaining 5% of the time which scares the hell out of me
almost unlistenable cd

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, some compression is a good thing, especially on most systems. :) I suppose that's why -18dB was settled on a long time ago for general interest recordings, with -22-24dB for classical and some big band. It still sounds dynamic, but is not crazy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
... it's weak and therefore adding more channels is the solution.
I know that you are poking fun, but there is some practical truth to that. Getting superb audio playback that makes you think "you are there" to an uncanny degree isn't easy. It means large expensive speakers and large rooms. Getting a semblance of that with multiple speakers and channels can usually be cheaper and easier. Not better, but easier. And importantly, in an off the shelf system that most people can afford and have the space for.

in an off the shelf system that most people can afford and have the space for.
If such space is available and WAF isn't in play, he can certainly reroute that fund and effort into better quality speakers and room acoustics. The importance of room acoustics isn't well spread in audiophile community including those who have been pursuing audio for 20 - 30 years. So many I've seen would rather spend more money on DAC, cables, amps and other snake oil products like cable lifters. Yes, they've been gotten by the marketeers.
Not better, but easier.
That may be the biggest reason why they've been gotten. Working on room acoustics is not easy.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Especially those of us who are considerably space constrained. I'm house hunting at the moment and the ability to have a half decent room for audio is high in the priority list.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only ( crazy) one out there! :D
I'm lucky as i found it and my girl accepted we bought it ( i love her): i've got a 40m2 living room with sloped ceiling ( 2,4m to 3,8m ceiling with 30* angle). Real issue is i have to share it with... a 5 and a 1,5 yo little buggers which likes to touch everything which have knobs on it or which rotate and produce sounds... :D