The Ultimate Remote Control Audio Project.. Please Help :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, that looks good if you've got room.

Just curious, what is the approximate diameter of your fuselage? HD Theater channel's Air Combat program this morning was about the P-47 vs the FW109. They commented about how massive the TBolt was and how the pilots had to get used to it.

Since I'm in the planning stage, I can make the plane as big as I want / need it to be to accomplish what I need it to accomplish.

I think that's the benefit of building it from the sound perspective. A lot of other folks build first, then try to shove the sound system in.

I like that 5" driver, but with more than 3 db difference in sensitivity, it looks like I have to more than double the wattage as well as the amount of drivers needed. Trying to shove one big speaker, might also be easier than shoving 4 smaller speakers somewhere in the plane.

On to a slightly different topic; Aerosound sells an amp that goes 2 x 40 watts. Can I parallel them to make 80 watts? If I can, can I put two or more together in parallel configuration to increase the total wattage?

Thanks again guys,

Josh

No, you can't parallel amplifier outputs. (They will try to drive each other rather than the load and burn up.) One amplifier might be able to be used in bridge mode to get one output with twice the power - you'll have to check the specs or somehow find out if the amp is designed to work this way.

You might want to look for a car audio amplifier if you have 12 - 15 volts available. They are made in just about any wattage you want, up into the thousands. Check around and you will probably find one of a size and weight that will work.

That is usually because of the heatsinks or the fancy chassis (sometimes the fancy chassis ARE the heatsinks). By using a more efficient design, a class D, you can save weight and heat. Here's one that apparently weighs only 12 pounds: Hifonics BXi 1608D (available at Sonic Electronix).

Whatever you use, you can probably remove the case and maybe even modify or remove part of the heat sink if you duct air to it. Any power amp pushed hard will generate heat, and will fail prematurely if not cooled. In an airplane, however, this should not be hard to do.

What else is out there that can provide the kind of power you need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.