The Ultimate Blind Test - The whole speakers/system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mcintosh product are seriously flawed and not high end as their price tag would leave most people to assume...
transformer coupled output, this is ancient and quite poor design.

Try some Pass 0.8 serie, the big MBL or some Krell Evolution. (the parasound JC1 too)
your typical coloured, cheapo, energy efficient, class D won't even come close .
of course, you may stop by the bank o your way out...

I guess with the vitavox sale money, you could buy some real amplifier :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

Carver caused a stir in the industry in the mid-1980s when he challenged two high-end audio magazines to give him any audio amplifier at any price, and he’d duplicate its sound in one of his lower cost (and usually much more powerful) designs. Two magazines accepted the challenge.
I think they forgot to place their amps on a slab of concrete and spiked feet. :yummy:

This is going to be interesting.....

Try some Pass 0.8 serie, the big MBL or some Krell Evolution. (the parasound JC1 too)
your typical coloured, cheapo, energy efficient, class D won't even come close .
of course, you may stop by the bank o your way out...

I guess with the vitavox sale money, you could buy some real amplifier

ooh man, you're SO sure of yourself about audible differences between amplifiers... i like that, I LIKE THAT! :cheers:

The question is: are you ready to take the red pill, or you prefer to sleep a little more ? :cool:

that's gonna be so much fun to organize, this test... :p

audiocopy of a whole boutique system, which will include so much bulls*** mumbo jumbo AT THE SAME TIME :eek:

They'll be like:

''What do you think went wrong ?''
- ...ehm.. i think the Shunyata power cable was not quite broke-in yet
''oh no, you didnt!? I told you, Berthold! 1000 hours minimum!''
- I'm truly sorry, Oliver, *sobbing* i failed, it's all my fault!! *sobbing*

'' You're a shame for Audiophilia, Berthold, a bloody shame!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
ooh man, you're SO sure of yourself about audible differences between amplifiers... i like that, I LIKE THAT!

Jon,

Yes, I'm sure, more than sure. We could chat over this with a Guinness while you'll put your class D on Kijijii.

I won't haul my 95-110pound amplifier (I have 3 of them) though but I could bring some very very good DIY CFA amplifier. (have 4 of them, all differents schematic and different sound signature)
I already had the $10000 mcintosh MC302 beaten flat out by my $900 CFA amp...

I'll give you a shot when I go over to your Laval lab. (I already been there as SylvainP brought me there years ago and remember your acoustically sealed door)
of course, I do not remember the address but you could PM me for this and your phone.

you're dedicated and it's a very desirable attribute.

are you available next weekend?
I could drive down and also stop by to go hear Tomahack tpl150 as well. (i'm seriously considering buying them to replace my 70-10)
I ordered some transducer labs beryllium dome tweeter but haven't received them yet. hope they perform fine but I could return them if they do not perform as I expect them to.

we could do some tweeter "blind test" with all 3. my 70-10 is good but certainly not jaw dropping.

Already gave a head-up to tommahack that I'll eventually invite myself for his system in the next little while (haven't saw him in maybe 10 years)

Later

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the natural opponent to David's speakers would be the B&W 800 series ?

I mean: if you want to demonstrate fast food is bad for health, you take McDonald's as an example, right ? :D

or is there a HiFi Burger King that i'm not aware of ?

Jon,

If you have the luck to do it : one of the Class A Stereophile speaker should be your benchmark (but myself I found the Kef not so good after a listening in a huge room - at least the rom had no bass trap, etc-) ! Any South african speaker on hands ??:D

Page 1, first message:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...d-test-whole-speakers-system.html#post4813354

Hypothesis will be put to test.

The hypothesis is that one can mimic a complete ''boutique'' sound system (including HD music files) with some generic low-cost components, including a digital DSP/EQ and lossy versions of the music files.

I can assure you: all info/specs will be available and anyone would be able to replicate the test and get their own data.

This time it will be video recorded.

Don't use a boutique system for reference, use a system that the design was truly science driven.

Use the JBL M2's with their Crown I-Tech 5000HD amps. Just a simple two way with digital class I amps. I would love to see you mimic this system with cheap stuff and by mimic I mean on axis and power response, dynamics and imaging both really loud and soft.

I am not saying this to be contrary, I would really like to see if you could do it.

Barry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.