The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you'd like my help search the schematic, post it here and show the values of any capacitors and resistors that you've changed, then I'll ask you to measure some voltages around the circuit.

161034d1267733290t-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-salasshuntregpsulowmcph.jpg

R1 / 10ohms, the rest of caps & resistors as the schematic.

Last edited:
You mean how you can remote sense any V1.0 I guess. Forget V1.1 when there is 1.2. It was an intermediate step. Here is an example of your 46V V1.0 for Low MC for how to apply sense wiring. That is for just any V1.0 who somebody wants to apply sense wiring. V1.0 is not picking up noise from the sense wiring as easily and it can be done with a twisted pair, same type as the main output force wiring taken from Q4/C4 nodes.

Salas,

Thanks so much for all your work and help to us neophites. Can you post the negative version of this schematic. I've made my negative version and it seems to work in simulation, but, just want to make sure.

Thank

Ken L

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
161034d1267733290t-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-salasshuntregpsulowmcph.jpg

R1 / 10ohms, the rest of caps & resistors as the schematic.

The image is too small, what was the post number please?

But, if the LEDs are not lit up then the CCS mosfet isn't biased properly. Check the two bjt on the lower left side of the picture. With the DMM on diode test you should read something between B-E and B-C pins, one way only, and the reading should be close in value.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Are you using a single heatsink for both mosfets ?

Yes I am using the old chassis of an Audionote DAC as heatsink for the 4 mosfets.

If they aren't insulated, bingo! Here is your problem. Use your DVM, you must not see zero Ohm between their middle legs. And take out that 150R. Its overloading beyond CCS setting even if when it will work. Find something around 1k to 2k. Or leave it unloaded. I wrote again yesterday.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,

Thanks so much for all your work and help to us neophites. Can you post the negative version of this schematic. I've made my negative version and it seems to work in simulation, but, just want to make sure.

Thank

Ken L

You want the over 40V one capable in symmetric that LaOde uses for D1 and first was used in Italy on EB class A kit amp driver stages?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If they aren't insulated, bingo! Here is your problem. Use your DVM, you must not see zero Ohm between their middle legs. And take out that 150R. Its overloading beyond CCS setting even if when it will work. Find something around 1k to 2k. Or leave it unloaded. I wrote again yesterday.

The mosfets are properly insulated. I used mine DVM & I not see zero Ohm between their middle legs. I only have 1k 5W to load the reg. it's ok?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The image is too small, what was the post number please?

But, if the LEDs are not lit up then the CCS mosfet isn't biased properly. Check the two bjt on the lower left side of the picture. With the DMM on diode test you should read something between B-E and B-C pins, one way only, and the reading should be close in value.

Newbie question: I have to read both BC546B with the power on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.