The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its alright because it is still under 100C in the chip core. That is kind of a safe service barrier. 71C + (3.5W times 6.4 RthH) = 93.4C. It breaks at 150C in there. Its just that the less C the better the chances for very long service life.

Thanks,

5 cm legs for the mosfet do not sound appealing ? My only concern is this device will be powered 24/7

Regards,

Davide

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks,

5 cm legs for the mosfet do not sound appealing ? My only concern is this device will be powered 24/7

Regards,

Davide

60C rule of thumb would be a measure to never fail due to thermal design that could have been much better. 80C for 24/7 operation would be the red safe line in this occasion I would say, so 71C on the 9610's body its not the end of the world. Keep a spare of this inexpensive MOSFET for when it fails after years. Just not after very many years. If when it ever fails powering the client circuit means not creating any other system disaster don't worry too much.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas I'm powering with Reflektor D a Flip Flop with LP filter to listen DSD without DAC but I'm getting high white noise mixed with the signal & I read some people is related to the PSU, that's the reason I ask your help.

Attached schematic of Flip Flop.

I'm only using the Flip Flop & LP filter, my system is Amanero USB-I2S + DIYINHK i2s ISOLATOR, Amanero is powered with BiB & the I2S isolator & the Flip Flop + LP filter is powered with the Reflektor D.

Actually I'm using only the LP filter direct from the isolator with any kind of noise and I'm very happy, I have tried Flip Flop to have more gain.

TIA
Felipe

Attachments

• flipflop filter amp mute V8-1_zpsuclcmz1r.jpg
    flipflop filter amp mute V8-1_zpsuclcmz1r.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Balanced DSD filter & mute.png
    Balanced DSD filter & mute.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I extracted some information from the thread "The best DAC is no DAC" http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html

DF96 posted
In either case you need a good supply rail for them, as you are listening to the supply rail modulated by the final gate

benb posted
As far as terminology, the 74HC74 as used is arguably a "dual 1-bit DAC", and indeed a good power supply is critical because the PSRR here is 0 dB. Any variation of the 74HC74 Vcc line directly modulates the output.

peufeu posted
Of course since your DAC is basically a logic gate, and its output is the product of its power supply and the digital value, it means you have to use a balanced output... for example you can use a 74HC flop with normal and inverting output. It should have a very clean power supply...

DF96 posted
You will still get noise IM, as it is the supply rail which sets the voltage gain of the output stage. The rail must be very clean, probably cleaner than usually required for normal analogue stages. Normal analogue stages have their gain loosely set by the supply rail; this analogue stage (yes, it is an analogue stage even though it uses 'digital logic') has its gain set directly by the supply rail.

Substitute LM317 / 337 'in circuit'

Hi Salas & others,

I would like to substitute the LM317/337 in a DAC with a Salas Shunt - just as a quick trial - without removing the LM317/337 in the circuit

If I disconnect the ac power to the LM317/337, leaving the inputs to the 317/337 'floating', and connect +15v/0v/-15 on the LM317/337 outputs, am I likely to cause damage to the LM317/337 or any unexpected / unwanted effects ?

diagram attached.

Thx !

Attachments

• LM317_LM337.PNG
    LM317_LM337.PNG
    101.8 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.