The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, you can evaluate subjectively in all. But the film cap smallest acceptable value depends on how much R is in the Vref. If its only leds and very little or no R it can be small. Like in DCB1. In others higher Vout with many leds and/or enough R it can be 10uF even. In general, telling me how is the Vref made, I can reply you least film cap value acceptable.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wich values film cap will be acceptable for:

+5.5V reg. Vref made 2 Leds 1.8V + 1 trimmer 200R

+-15V reg. Vref made only 8 Leds 1.8V without trimmer/diodes

+-24V reg. Vrf made only with 13 Leds without trimmer/diodes

Had a look. Fortunately in all those 3 cases, because very little or no R element is used, the loop gain will not suffer in the very low frequencies even with 1uF.
Of course the noise filtering is stronger the more uF and maybe it will be interesting to listen for a 10uF also in the many leds 24V case and evaluate if it is beneficiary subjectively. It may very well not be discriminating for any essential noise and the more compact 1uF win in all those 3 situations.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

I am afraid that so many Leds for a 45V may create more noise than the resistor+trimmer. But if you want to experiment it will be interesting, those are different Vrefs still. You will need 10uF in both cases. A couple of // compact radial Arcotronics or Rifa, Wima, with a Vishay MKP1837 bypass should be faster than expensive designer caps.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Had a look. Fortunately in all those 3 cases, because very little or no R element is used, the loop gain will not suffer in the very low frequencies even with 1uF.
Of course the noise filtering is stronger the more uF and maybe it will be interesting to listen for a 10uF also in the many leds 24V case and evaluate if it is beneficiary subjectively. It may very well not be discriminating for any essential noise and the more compact 1uF win in all those 3 situations.

Perfect I will try with these 1uF/630VDC Mundorf MCap ZN tin foil polypropylene & Auricap 1uF/450VDC metallized poplypropylene

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I had not the oportunity to follow all the las posts but I seem to understand that a led + film cap vref should be more silent than the resistor + EL on the V1.

Is this correct ?

Depends on the number of leds, the value of the resistor, the filter capacitor's value. The leds are stiffer and have different dynamic impedance. And there is subjective difference that you got to experience and evaluate.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@Salas

Listened with 1uF VRef, mine subjective opinion is that I prefer the 100uF lytic, seems (like always I change lytics vs films) films are more clear or without bass so the sound loss deep like more flat.

I have several possibilities:

-Add more caps to 1uF, I have Monacor metallized polypropylene 3.9uF & 8.2uF both 250VDC
-Substitute for one 4.7uF Mcap tin foil polypropylene
-Substitute for one 10uF 425VDC TRT Wonder Signature metallized poplypropylene

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Whatever floats better in the system context. In my experience the resolution and projection does noticeably better with MKPs there and so said everybody who substituted in the DCB1. No flattness, to the contrary. Same with 1.2 regs on the phono. Then again this is feeding digital circuits here and maybe works differently. Do you use any subwoofer suplementing the Wilson Cub pair by the way? I have auditioned that speaker a few times and seemed clean but ovedamped to me. Can be fighting with even cleaner tone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.