The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes. More importantly though, you should measure between 5 and 6 volts across the LEDs.

My advice is to implement the exact schematic (using bc546) that I showed above, and if you measures very close to the values indicated on the schematic, then you have the CCS, a current limiter, working well. Only then move to the next section, the shunt part, without fear. Because no matter what happens in the shunt portion, your current limiter will not allow anything to happen in case of a short circuit in the shunt.

With battery as the pic posted measure 5,61V across the LEDs.

R1 & R2 can be 0,25W?

This schematic is for use with the PS or with battery, I suppose is for running with the PS, right?

Last edited:
That one will run +/-180mA if your Leds can reach 2V Vf for about 2.5mA. Else, about 150mA. R1 sets that. ICCS=(Vf3LEDStot-Vgs)/R1. Fix it given your actual parts. The trimmer gives you an adjustable Vout. Don't ask more than 65V out. You can use BF245A if you can't get 2N5457, don't use anything more than 3mA IDSS collector load, so to keep the error amp BC546B dissipating conservatively. Remote sensing is recommended. You have seen how on the one I showed for Merlin a few pages back. Good luck.

Salas,

Other than adjustablity, is there an advantage of using resistors at R6 vs a zener? Fairchild has 1nxxx zeners in higher voltages.

Ken L

Hello all,

I want to build a +/- 15V power supply for a phono pre-amp stage, and after looking around about the different projects in the forum, I'm inclined to build the circuit you're discussing here.

The intend to install the power supply (including transformer and rectification) in the same box as the pre-amp, which by the way, is the balanced outpur version of the RIAA phono pre-amp stage from Douglas Self.

As a starting point I would like if anyone could please indicate me which version (post?) of the circuit should I start looking at?

Thanks in advance,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello all,

I want to build a +/- 15V power supply for a phono pre-amp stage, and after looking around about the different projects in the forum, I'm inclined to build the circuit you're discussing here.

The intend to install the power supply (including transformer and rectification) in the same box as the pre-amp, which by the way, is the balanced outpur version of the RIAA phono pre-amp stage from Douglas Self.

As a starting point I would like if anyone could please indicate me which version (post?) of the circuit should I start looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Page #190. V1.2 Symmetric. Only an R-Core can be installed totally quietly in a single Riaa box is my experience.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Merlin: Focus on all remaining connections, see detail. Q5's Drain connects up to the 4k7 & 47 node. Trace your work carefully.
La Ode already runs a second circuit like yours in symmetric, this time integrated in his Pass D1 DAC analogue section. Hurry up, we got to compete with Asian productivity, else in IMF we ClubMed soon.:D

Attachments

• Detail.gif
    Detail.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 673
  • P1030923 copy.jpg
    P1030923 copy.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 682
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is 6mA on a 10R. Your Jfet CCS works. Your trimmer + resistor seems at full. By turning it off power and measuring across V+ Out and 47R/Jfet node see if your resistance changes when you turn the trimmer. If not, review your connections on it. You will need 7.4k total for 45V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.