The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Guys what would be better for bypassing the VSPS for AD797?

Get one 100nF cap between pins 4-7 in the socket with really short leads?
Or stick two caps, one on each pin 4 and 7 and send a longer lead to the ground?

Oh and does it make sense to replace one of the 100uF electrolytics with a 1uF tandalum? Again as per the datasheet bypassing instructions

I use AD797 on old VSPS boad as MC preamp.. in power supply after LM317/337 only got 1uF Wima MKS2, works without problems..
Since RIAA network is in feedback does not need any compensation..

Attachments

• PHONO.JPG
    PHONO.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 219
  • vsps17a.gif
    vsps17a.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 216
I have NEVER claimed that I know best. I just posted my findings. You said that the AD797 would work as IC1. Clearly is doesn't, as my findings show. However, you say it will work if a cap is added across R1..

I sad R2, not R1.. if you know anything about how opamps works, you understand why there.. before that, you supposed to wonder how is it possible that AD797 play worse than OPA27..

Things are very simple, if in some circuit twice better opamp works bad, you must find why.. always must be a reason and explanation.. in this universe, and with these laws of physics, OPA27 can be better than AD797..

Last edited:
I sad R2, not R1.. if you know anything about how opamps works, you understand why there.. before that, you supposed to wonder how is it possible that AD797 play worse than OPA27..

Things are very simple, if in some circuit twice better opamp works bad, you must find why.. always must be a reason and explanation.. in this universe, and with these laws of physics, OPA27 can be better than AD797..

I am the first to admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about how Op Amps work. I can follow instructions, and solder to a reasonable standard but give me a box of bits and ask me to make an amplifier, then forget it.

I don't dispute that the AD797 is better than the OPA27. I just posted my findings as previously stated.

Oh and has anyone tried the pin 8 decompensation thingy on AD797?

~50pF from output (pin6) to pin8?

It is supposed to significantly reduce output impedance and distortion on gains above 10 or frequencies above 30K (could be perceivable on lower ones too?)

We could also use C2 to slightly increase bandwidth even further, but it is supposed to have no significant effect on gains below 100

Page 15 of datasheet

The datasheet suggests

"Use of this feature improves distortion performance when the closed-loop gain is more than 10 or when frequencies of interest are greater than 30 kHz"

so I guess the first it is within the scope of our thingy?

It is a fairly easy test anyway. I am receiving my stuff today, so I will report back :)

imd of frequencies slightly above and well above the audio spectrum can fold back into the audio spectrum.

That means your amplifier should not distort signals that are still relatively strong but outside the audio spectrum.

Once you "KNOW" that all signals above 500kHz have been attenuated to 100dB below your wanted signals you can probably then ignore those HF signals.

But the signals below your brickwall filtering will still be affecting the performance of the amplifier and the effects of such should be minimised to preserve the wanted signals.

I looooooooooooooooove AD797 on my VSPS :)
I got it in there bypassed by 100nF TDK ceramics

Currently it seems a bit trembly but I will give it a few days.

Unfortunately I am a moron and ordered 5, so I cannot try them on the regulators... The LME49710 works very nicely though :)
And yes it did a big difference replacing the OPA27 there

Tomorrow I will try to get some more locally, along with some 47pF ceramics to try the compensation thingy

I m not talking about usual feedback compensation for stability.

I am talking about utilizing the special feature in pin 8 to reduce distortion, applicable for gains bigger than 10.

The interesting thing is that it is also suggested that if connected after the following buffer or capacitor, it can reduce its distortion as well

The special point worth noting for this situation is that the 50pF distortion cancellation capacitor should then be connected between the AD797 pin 8 and the output of the buffer (not the AD797 pin 6). This step allows the distortion correction to be applied not just to the AD797 internal circuits, but also extends it to include the buffer.
Source:
http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/39-05/Web_Ch6_final_I.pdf
Page 6.59

This actually allows us to implement something like Thorsten's suggestion to include C3 in the feedback loop, without actually having to modify the VSPS or PC3 pcb.

We just have to run a 50pF cap from pin8 of the output opamp to the output side of C3. Perhaps we only have to move the 47R after C3 to keep the capacitance isolation?

Last edited:
I m not talking about usual feedback compensation for stability.

I am talking about utilizing the special feature in pin 8 to reduce distortion, applicable for gains bigger than 10.

I understand what you mean..
But you do not understand me.. capacitor at pin 8 is the only additional compensation, and you have two caps already in the chip.. unnecessary in this case..