The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

pardon my ignorance , what's Alpa ?

ZM knows Station , as usual

Hehehehe. We need to speak. :)
ALPAs - Very sexy and sort of limited. Beautiful looking, but essentially a metal frame that allows large format lens to be attached on front and digital back in the rear. Although it has really nice wood handles... :)
It might be interesting to carry it around, but the question is why. Sort of comparable to old Linhof Press camera but with no possibility to tilt or shift lens standard. If one is to carry it around, than I would rather do it with full bodied camera. Using large format lenses on it... hm, they are less sharp than lenses built for medium format. Many years ago Sinar made an architectural camera Sinar Handy, but with limited success. Linhof had better one that allowed for tilts shifts and swings on a classical but foldable L frames. As you know I love large format, and I do admire Alpas for their look, but from usability perspective I am not sold - too expensive for a metal frame.
Thank you for a nice Leica story.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well boyz , |I'm always here , as furniture

Big Cal .... whatever it is , I just hope it is in natural order ..... first older ones ........

AR2 , you know how amateurish I am regarding all technique , photographique included ;)

will stay with old trusty digicam from US of A ..... and le petit Olympus Pen EE to remind me of roots

AR2

Was thinking about the original 35mm slr types. I had them all from the 5 through to the 11Si..........they used extremely pure and thin silk blinds which rotted far too soon...otherwise very nice but quirky cameras and beautiful Swiss workmanship too

For really useful MF I would prefer a simple MF Arca monorail with a Good digital back.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
some of less scary AR2's drek

believe me , some other toy's I dared to keep in hands just for sec or two :rolleyes:

Attachments

• AR2.jpg
    AR2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 102
  • ZM.jpg
    ZM.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 102
AR2

Was thinking about the original 35mm slr types. I had them all from the 5 through to the 11Si..........they used extremely pure and thin silk blinds which rotted far too soon...otherwise very nice but quirky cameras and beautiful Swiss workmanship too

For really useful MF I would prefer a simple MF Arca monorail with a Good digital back.

Yes I know, 35s were nice. Unfortunately not any more produced, just like many others. Contax is gone, Rollei is gone, Hasselblad is plastic junk made by Fuji... Arca is very nice, love it. I am Sinar P2 with Phase 1, and Schneider when in studio. Short of studio it is Contax with Zeiss lenses and P1 or Canon. Do not take me wrong I love that Alpa medium, it is really cool body, just limited what it does. But if it fits ones needs than quite elegant solution.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
A video to Thomas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsgXFqdhhE
I do not know what to think.

Thank you for that video Gyuri!! My youngest new sister Felicia rescues dachshunds and has ten of them at her house right now.... :D:D:D

I'm swinging from branch to branch of my family tree and one of my cousins thinks that she might have located a sibling of mine.... We are still trying to figure out this puzzle because some of the pieces are wrong and other one's are missing. But it is very exciting!!! ;)