The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
btw. where is our funny 'Talian ?

quit smoking , quit poking ?

:clown:

whatever - I'm always forgetting to write - interesting origin , to know from where his fave BSabath had more than influence - Turkish melos ....... Erkin Koray - Full Concert HQ (Yedikule - ?stanbul) 2005 - YouTube

it's more than in my genes , Serbia being in Otoman Empire for almost 6 centuries

Erkin Koray - old geezer , fiddlin' with e-guitar from 70ies

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Last I heard he was moving house...........perhaps he is still at it....brick by brick.

The moving is only the 1st gateway of hell. The rest comes when SWMBO wants to repaint all of the rooms - move the furniture "over there" about a half dozen times and then do some landscaping of the yard and surrounding countryside..... Then there are the house repairs that the last owner didn't do that now need to be properly fixed.....

This could take a couple of years....... :eek::eek::eek:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tann sweep for Buzz , according to Mighty ZM

Cone Dia - 8" (recent history) , 10" , 12" and shrinked 12" (10" iin 12" basket with broader rim ) , 15" ; 10" are jewels , but I prefer either 12" or 15" , having more oomph and authority

-Cone material : paper , plastic ; paper is good on all iterations , plastic ones are impeccable on 10" variety ; paper ones are made with and without to back of cone glued reinforcing ribs ; me no like ribs

-magnets - AlNiCo , ceramic ; both good

-surrounds - corrugated paper, integrated with cone (earliest ones- read mucho greenies! ) , Tannoplas (with goo treated neopren , good for 10yrs max) - I hate them , Butyl (good !) , corrugated cloth (probably needing some care , as explained in my blog - http://tinyurl.com/pph5moq

- baskets - they're all good ; (those having pressed steel (even if they're coax ) are of newer - FiFi production , and in my book they aren't worth looking ; they're mainly 8" and smaller )

- two types of WG for HF driver - old one , called Pepperpot , having regular type of inverted dome compression driver with back chamber (convex side of dome pointing to back of speaker) .... and newer , called Tulip - having noninverted dome compression driver , with convex side of dome pointing to your nose , through Tulip

Pepperpot are having integrated magnet with bass unit , while Tulip ones are having separate magnet , smaller in size than main (bass) one

so - combination of any member of these categories will cover all coax Tanns made , without trouble of looking at exact type ; as I said - safe bet is 15"(or12") , ceramic magnet , paper cone , cloth surround , no ribs ( then all possible ones are with Pepperpot) ........... or newer ones - 15(12)" , ceramic magnet , paper cone , Butyl surround (then all possible ones are Tulip equipped)

you know where to look for more specific info - Yahoo Tann Group , Hilberlink Tann , etc.

Last edited: