The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

where ?

in other words - what ?

generally - with SMDs you need to worry about dissipation ability of part ; if part is dissipation-vise capable for position - you can use whatever package you want

for instance - I'm typing this on PC primarily made with 12BH7 and VT4C

myriad of them

:rofl:

Thanks alot, I knew, I could depend on this forum.
Yesterday I looked through my BOM and realised that I had misordered Fo and U,
switched them accordingly - UFo - now it behaves like a dish !

Francolargo

Agree that F5 tread is bit long but there are plenty of treads on it
6L6 tread may be much beter
I have Just finished my Mule F5 (no need to explain Mule is it) and already started to rediscover my record collection.

Zen Guide to biasing works a treat and even I can understand it.

Gain is a bit low forghet the 2 volts but is not that complicated to get over it.

Rack mounting and forced air cooling Canam Man got a couple of fans in his.

I have not at the moment.

If you skip the over current part (I did) you only need a couples of Mosfets and a a couple of J fets and few resistors
PSU and Trafos are ther to stay and andy for any other project.

Well worth triing and plenty of help from all of us

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is an old one for ZM - I think perhaps this was before his time - not that such a thing as time exist when you are in the ZenZone!! :D:D:D

YouTube - TRAFFIC The Low Spark High Heeled Boys

It the olden days the radio stations had real "live" DJ's that actually sat at a console and played records (or tapes) - not automated like today. Sometimes the DJ would need to take a little "personal time" (boy - lots of stories there. I will leave that up to your imagination as what sort of things could happen at a radio station at 2am in the morning with no one else around ;)) Let's just say that looooooog songs like this one usually resulted in the DJ having a big smile on their faces when they got back "in da booth"!!! :D:D:D

Holy Smokes - double hitter - back to back followed with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TGj2jrJk8
My air guitar is in pieces on da floor - where is my can of lighter fluid!!!!!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.......... No response from ZM - very likely he is in the ZenZone in front of his alter to Papa wishing for happy Santa...... :D

(Someone told me it's a gamble creating your own zilicon)
YouTube - PokerStars Tournament Sit amp Go

It's really simple: The Gate is on the left, the source is your wifes bank-account - and everything goes down the drain!

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hey Thomas, isn't your comment on late night DJ's the reason that Dark Side of the Moon was created? Or even more so, the full version of In-A-Goda-Davida?!

Peace,

Dave

I know guys - ooooops - I mean that I've heard stories - about guys lining up those looooooog players back to back - be gone for a looooooog time - and when they got back the record had been playing the "record over" kick out track (used to trigger the tone arm return at end of record). Dead air - now that would result in calls to the station manager the next day. If you were one of the "star" DJ's you might get away with it - but if you were a 2am puke the odds of you packing up your VW bus and hitting the road were pretty good.

I think that maybe ZM if off somewhere putting a fresh coat of grease on his "greasy rocks" ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
in this thread everything is OT :clown:

for more info - look for Babelfish J schm ( my small web site ), compare with Papa's original , think about ...... and build

OK, last pre-decision question... What about regulated power supply in an Aleph J? Do you know if it has been tried and reported here? The effects of regulated power on the few other discrete (line level) circuits where I've tried it has been really good. As much as I find a lineup of beverage-sized unregulated capacitors to be romantic, I'm still drawn the other direction.... I'm guessing it might only add 12-20 watts of dissipation per channel...

As ever, any thoughts much appreciated...

Frank

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As a 2AM and later opportunity puke, i recall shagging a lot of VW (and any other) van's shock/springs with Aussie plates. Most did cassettes, but some even had a TT inside.
Does that count ?

As long as you didn't knock the needle outta da grove - if ya know what I mean. ;)

Man - those were the days! BTW - I assume that you DID have a lava lamp and incense burner in the van. :D:D:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ya boyz are wakoo tonight ( my tonight , even if I know that I'm cascoded in time , comparing to ya lazy yanks :rofl: )
proper question is - what you're using tonight ....... gimme a little :clown:

OK, last pre-decision question... What about regulated power supply in an Aleph J? Do you know if it has been tried and reported here? The effects of regulated power on the few other discrete (line level) circuits where I've tried it has been really good. As much as I find a lineup of beverage-sized unregulated capacitors to be romantic, I'm still drawn the other direction.... I'm guessing it might only add 12-20 watts of dissipation per channel...

As ever, any thoughts much appreciated...

Frank

dunno - even if reg-ed PSU for power amp is nice thing to have , certianly atractive sounding in first time , I found it little lacking in snap - at least when you're using brute force approach - mucho VA and mF in dual mono PSU

YMMAMV , as usual