The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

to elwood625 #24798

Hi elwood625,

the APRILIAs are great machines! They won numerous titles especially in the
smaller classes.
The APRILIA RS125 is in Germany one of the young boys dream. Here they
can make the driving licence with 16 for driving up to 125ccm.
Also the Aprilias with the smaller displacements (50ccm, 80ccm) are very close related to the championship bikes.
There was a SP version of the RS125:
34 hp at around 11500 U/min out of 125ccm - that's a number!
This equals 280 hp out of 1000ccm.

Real good and fast italian bikes. And italian racing style!

Cheers
Dirk

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
besides being sucker for mcycles , sucker for loudspeakers ....... I'm also sucker for xformers ..... not just for tiny signal ones

newest arrivals , just to snatch them and prevent someone else using them for mains

24sqcm , 0.35mm lamination , 6.5kg each

who knows , maybe one day I'll go nutz enough to build GM70 SE

Attachments

• IMG_20190403_193230.jpg
    IMG_20190403_193230.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 267
besides being sucker for mcycles , sucker for loudspeakers ....... I'm also sucker for xformers ..... not just for tiny signal ones

newest arrivals , just to snatch them and prevent someone else using them for mains

24sqcm , 0.35mm lamination , 6.5kg each

who knows , maybe one day I'll go nutz enough to build GM70 SE

I have a pair of UTC LS-52. I bought them many years ago and used them to drive a DIY pair of Roger Sanders electrostatic speakers that took me about a year to build including the power supplies and step up. They sounded amazing to a budding audio nut. The transformers are in a box aging gracefully. The fact that they have a 1.2 ohm tap is rather unique in the tube output transformer world.

Attachments

• LS-52-2.jpg
    LS-52-2.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 221
And now for something completely different. My 2001 Aprilla RS50, 50cc water cooled, oil injected two stroke. I ride it from my home to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI to ride around the track when I'm racing my Porsche 944 turbo (another diy project). Also, Snake Rd. and the Kettle Moraine Scenic highway. It'll do 52 mph with my 6'2" 220lb body in a tuck.
Where other ride scooters from China, golf carts, I prefer Italian machinery.
I fill the fuel tank once a year, 62 mpg.

Italians make very stylish bikes. It looks like a very fun ride. It would kill my shoulder. My FJR killed my shoulder until I reconfigured the triple tree and handlebars with a German LSL adapter to allow me to sit upright on the bike.

Question for ZM (and others )

Hello ZM

I curious about the now available 2SK209 and 2SK2145 as a possible

1. complement for the 2SJ74. Assume for the moment that I can find some 2SJ74 parts reasonably priced but not the 2SK170

2. to be used in a Pearl 2

I am placing an order for some of both to put through the curve tracer and was wondering what you think of them. I know that you use the 2SK2145 in your preamp DIY design.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
-regarding 2SK209 ...... have no experience with them , simply because I directly hopped on 2SK2145BL

tiny buggers - using them as single you're getting swell xconductance and everything , but you need to take care of dissipation

I'm feeding them with 12V ( in Sissy cascoded to slightly lower) , taking care of big gate pads so cooling is not an issue

-if you're able to find 2SJ74 , you're lucky bastard ....... then you ought to find 2SK170 too , it's much easier and less costly

-in Pearl , as input stage ? specify

-regarding 2SK209 ...... have no experience with them , simply because I directly hopped on 2SK2145BL

tiny buggers - using them as single you're getting swell xconductance and everything , but you need to take care of dissipation

I'm feeding them with 12V ( in Sissy cascoded to slightly lower) , taking care of big gate pads so cooling is not an issue

-if you're able to find 2SJ74 , you're lucky bastard ....... then you ought to find 2SK170 too , it's much easier and less costly

-in Pearl , as input stage ? specify

For the 2SJ74, I do not know yet. I ordered some. When they arrive, I will run them through the curve tracer to measure Idss, gain and linearity and compare to the DIY store Linear Systems parts and compare to the Punkydawgs Toshiba parts that I have. If they appear legitimate, I will ask one of the members with the noise measurement rig to compare the noise floor to known good Toshiba parts. At the moment, just one of many attempts to find someone with a stash for sale at a reasonable price.

For the 2SK209 and 2SK2145, I am thinking of using them for the gain devices in a Pearl2. It may require 6 of them to equal 4 of the 2SK370. Does that sound reasonable?

I agree about cascoding the JFETs. I want to lay out a DIY version of a UGS. Before I do that, I need a reasonable stash of the JFETs.

There are also some supposedly Toshiba 2SA1837 + 2SC4793 on their way to me. Those also will go through the curve tracer to see how they compare to the datasheets.

I am hoping to have the parts to make a fair approximation of a PL UGS for some projects. I like my X2.5 preamp enough to expend the effort to make a UGS for my amusement.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not loosing my sleep regarding cascoding parts - 2SA and 2SC .... using (at least on this side of pond) pretty common and good-old BD139/140

interestingly , when you're getting them in quantity , they're ridiculously tightly grouped, regarding Hfe ......... not that I'm overly concerned even with that , for cascoding purposes

regarding small buggers in Pearl - why not ...... play a little with source resistors , to stay in safe area regarding dissipation , taking care of gain ..... if you lack gain , just add one JFet more in parallel ....... or two :)

to MaxHeadroom

Hello Max,

yes, I know manual advance. I have restored a Indian BigChief and a few older
Harleys (Flatheads, Panheads, one Knucklehead) all with manual advance.
Left handlebar grip adjusts advance of your ignition timing - early/late.

I also rode those bikes. I also have experience with backfiring kickstarters
if you adjust the manual advance the wrong way. Ouch!:bigeyes:

Greets
Dirk :D

Joined 2013
Paid Member
AXPONA 2019
First three photos are the EXPO section, including one row of just headphones and amps, another for turntables and record cleaners. Third were major vendors, Music Direct, Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 155
Joined 2013
Paid Member
PASS Labs and Firstwatt. This was one of the salon rooms. I like the stack in front of the door, no armed guard? This IS Chicago

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 73
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Not sure why some photos are upside down, they look fine on my laptop??
The Mac's and B&W is from a local store that is known for refrigerators. Nice to see they are expanding.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG