The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I run FA502 in BTL-mode first with my main passive speakers ATC SCM50 with EAR Acute III as a DAC and preamplifier. Normally with Densen B-175 amp. Tested with Nord nCore 500 amplifiers too. Nord was way more transparent.

I think the FA502 sound quality is just ok. No big flaws, there is really good dynamics and all. ADC/DAC/DSP could be better. Upper and midrange is kind of boring and flat. Definitely I could be using these plateamps in PA. Now I use these only with subwoofers.

The fan kick in when it should. I set three minutes no music shut down.

Again the fan noise.. Could you describe more about this? I have Crown XLS1500 amp and the fan noise kicks only when there is need for really big power. My experience with FA502 is that fan kicks even with really low wattage needs.

Last edited:
It is interesting to compare the last two comments.
One writes after a number of loudspeakers that it sounds very good and the other is just okay. One thing is certain, however, that the FA has not been designed specifically for the drive of passive speakers. If someone uses only with passive speakers, a large part of the amplifier's potential is lost.
Okay, they're not writing about the same model, but I don't think there's such a big difference.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I do run the 253 on passive speaker. It is still the ceapest option. I wanted a new amplifier and a DAC.
What would be the alternative? Get me an Coctail or Restek Amp for € 2000,- ?

With a pair Hypex i stay under € 1000,-.

The sound is very presice and i have an exellent soundstage in width and depdth. The Impulse epecially in the bass is spot on.

I am not an expert in computer programming so the HFD seems tho me a bit friggle

I do run the 253 on passive speaker. It is still the ceapest option. I wanted a new amplifier and a DAC.
What would be the alternative? Get me an Coctail or Restek Amp for € 2000,- ?

With a pair Hypex i stay under € 1000,-.

The sound is very presice and i have an exellent soundstage in width and depdth. The Impulse epecially in the bass is spot on.

I am not an expert in computer programming so the HFD seems tho me a bit friggle

To program the HFD, you don't have to be a computer programmer, just need to learn how to use the HFD.
If you experience the advantage of the FA, it's hard to find exact alternatives, if functionality and practicality are considered.
If the FA-specific functions are not needed, then only your wallet limits the alternatives, there are lot of good sounding amps/DACs.

Last edited:
Thanks @danibeni, any reason you don't just go straight to the Fusions?

I see there is no digital out on the NAD, so are you using the dac in the NAD and then the fusions are doing A/D-D/A again?

Yes, i use the NAD analog out.
I already had the NAD before i bought the FAs, so i decided to try with it.
A setup like this have some advantage. You have more input, the NAD have additional 2 HDMI and 1 USB which the FA don't. You can always see whats the input and at what level.
I automated the power on by a master-slave power strip, so if i power up the DAC the FAs get powered too immediately.
Additionally, i don't need to connect the FAs together.
I heard the FAs with digital input, but the ADC-free operation does not justify the added complexity and lesser functionality/comfort to me.
Sounded great/identical to me both ways.

Last edited:
Anyone know of an Atmos surround receiver with digital preouts at least for the two main channels? Would perhaps make for smoother operation with multiple sources ...

I don't think there is one, at least with volume control and stereo only (for multi channel) output.
Just connect the FA to the receiver's RCA pre-out and you are done. Yes, this means an additional A/D-D/A conversion, but life is much easier if we can accept it.

There is a test somewhere on the Internet where 8 times A/D-D/A converted files can be compared to the original. After the conversion, the final result was still fine, and without the A-B test, it might not be possible to say that we don't hear the original.

Does anyone use a miniDSP SHD Studio before the Fusionamps?
I think this may be a good option to keep the signal going digital.
There's volume control and input selection with a nice display, LAN streaming, USB input for PC audio, 2x digital stereo outputs (2x AES/EBU and 2x Coax), which means you don't need to connect Fusionamps together. Additionally, you get a Dirac license and the opportunity to select between 4 room-correction presets.
Although not cheap, it is good value in my opinion.

Add: it's pretty lame not to have an on/off button.

Last edited:
Would you not run the plate amps full volume and the SHD can control it digitally?

We used this for a commercial project (ran mixed down stereo to the outputs and had long runs of XLR between pre-amps and nCore amps) no Atmos though. Was about £500 perhaps a different model, but in the same pro-family.
Denon DN-700AVP Professional AV Receiver Preamp | Stage Depot

I was also eyeing up the new Schiit Freya for running balanced between the Fusions or just some nCore amps.

Would you not run the plate amps full volume and the SHD can control it digitally?

We used this for a commercial project (ran mixed down stereo to the outputs and had long runs of XLR between pre-amps and nCore amps) no Atmos though. Was about £500 perhaps a different model, but in the same pro-family.
Denon DN-700AVP Professional AV Receiver Preamp | Stage Depot

I was also eyeing up the new Schiit Freya for running balanced between the Fusions or just some nCore amps.

You can run the FA at digitally 0dB, and the volume would controlled by the SHD. The SHD not controls the FA's own volume, but has it own internal volume control like an analog preamp just digitally.

Even with a high quality preamp like this Denon, the limiting factor is not the FA, even with analog connection. The Denon's SNR is 90dB, the FA have 109dB with analog input and only 2dB better with digital input. I have doubt anyone can hear this 2dB difference in noise floor as it is already very low in level.

The specs do seem very good.

My mild annoyance is the idea of running an analogue turntable to then be digitised and converted back at the amp stage. But like you said if you can't hear a difference who cares!

Out of interest someone in this thread mentioned the Fusions are good enough to be able to do RIAA equalisation. Has anyone tried this? If there is no difference in analogue/digital it would be great to drop my phono pre-amp and simple have source & Fusions.