The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Nice instinct, trying a push pull alignment! I'm enjoying the black side and resulting visual asymmetry.

So if someone wanted to reach 25hz with similar THD (thanks to spiral absorber) using 8 or 10" drivers would the cabinet be twice that size or does it not require a doubling in size/volume (iow, what kind of factor scales this design?).

...going were no foam core has gone before.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice instinct, trying a push pull alignment! I'm enjoying the black side and resulting visual asymmetry.

So if someone wanted to reach 25hz with similar THD (thanks to spiral absorber) using 8 or 10" drivers would the cabinet be twice that size or does it not require a doubling in size/volume (iow, what kind of factor scales this design?).

...going were no foam core has gone before.

If you want to use the spiral absorber, recall that it acts as if it were an infinite back chamber so need to use high Qts driver with low fs. A lower Qts driver can be used but to reach low freq and have a smaller volume but will require equalization and lots of xmax. Something like a Alpha 12a might work as it is designed for OB. A 10 in driver with lots of xmax and moderate Qts might also work - a subwoofer driver like a Lab10. I will have to run more sims to get a feeling of how it scales. However I have seen that it doesn't always need to use the recommended box volume. I think having the push pull isobaric driver arrangement lets you cut the volume in half.

spiral absorber

387956d1387194269-nautaloss-ref-monitor-cochlear-3.png
Given that this speaker appears to measure very closely to an OB, I would say that the spiral is doing its job of acting like an infinite cavity by absorbing all the back wave without any reflections. It is a fun and easy quick build. Give it a try if you are looking for a cheap but accurate speaker. This will make an excellent top for FAST system. Cheers,
Xrk971

Hi there X: The left picture, prior to attaching the side, shows a spiral and a hole in the middle. Does the hole connect somewhere? Another quick fantastic project from
you-X ....regards, Michael (I posted the wrong ref picture, Sorry, Mike)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
387954d1387194269-nautaloss-ref-monitor-cochlear-2.png

Michael,
Thanks. :)

The "hole" at the center is just a tube or square structure that I used to center the spiral to give it strength and a starting point. It does not connect to the spiral passage. The spiral is a sealed TL. If it were vented a the middle it would indeed behave very differently - not flat at all in response and more bass extension.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Meas. at Listening Position - no XO

I don't have a XO built yet so this is running full range on both the tops and sub. It ended up integrating kind of nice - very listenable. The room-effects really start to mess with the inherent flatness of the freq response. REW would really help here.

Merry X-mas folks!

Attachments

• Nautaloss-System-Tops-plus-Bottom-Listening-Position.png
    Nautaloss-System-Tops-plus-Bottom-Listening-Position.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,178
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nautaloss Tops & Bottom Sound Clips

Some sax jazz, male vocals, and jazz stand-up bass for you all to get an idea of how this sounds. Notice the crisp dynamics of the plucked strings of the bass. I am really enjoying them now. It is nice to have a speaker that I can use as a reference. You really get a sense of how other speaker designs compare to what is recorded. Oh, and did I mention that this speaker system cost a total of $47? ( $20 drivers + $2 foam core for the tops plus $20 for drivers + $5 for the foam core for the sub).

Attachments

• Nautaloss-System-Tops-Bottom-Sax-Clip.zip
    950.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Nautaloss-System-Tops-Bottom-Sax-Vocals-2.zip
    936.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Nautaloss-System-Tops-Bottom-Standup-Bass-Clip.zip
    969.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Corner Placement for Sub is Awesome

Since I am running a single sub in mixed-mono, I needed a boost in SPL and I put it in the corner with some open cell foam opposed to the drivers to absorb some of the HF that may leak out since running full range.

Well, it sounds awesome. This is the BEST sounding speaker system I have built to date. The crispness of the attack, the articulation in bass lines, drums (especially bongo drums), bass guitar, the imaging, the clarity of the highs, its all there! These are the best I speakers have heard in a long time. It makes many of my older recordings that were just so-so really pop and come to life. I am really enjoying some Blues on them. Listening to Buddy Guy's "Black Night" is just sublime. :D

Here is a photo of the system in the FC Lab and corner loaded. Don't let the low price or the light weight fool you - this has to be heard to be believed.

390066d1388171070-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-fc-lab-01.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
come on xrk what's going on!
wooden stools!
i would have thought that by now you'd have made speaker stands out of foamcore!
nice gallery collection shot!(hey where's the horns?)(is that the edge of one on the left?)

Ok, here is a more complete family photo. Still missing 4 sets as they are currently in use in other places (BIB, micro-BIB, 14 in Cornu, Wall Mount Flat MLTL).

Attachments

• FC-Lab-All.jpg
    FC-Lab-All.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,639
Last edited: