The Metronome

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
marec said:
Here in the UK, for many people, live music is what the BBC OB department say it is... And, what they say it is, was for a long time dependant on LS3-5As.

People in this country have been burned at the stake for lesser heresy than yours.
]

I well know where i tred. I sold the BC-1s to my friemd brand new, and have sold many and owned a couple sets of LS3/5A

dave

Port Dims on these confuse me.

I'm blowing the dust of this one here. I've just scanned it from the begining and I don't belive I've found out what I was looking for.

Here's what I'm after. I am looking into making a folded Metronome (monilth) ,inspired by Dave's Milvena, for a bi-polar set of Pio A11s. After reading the Met. artical, It seemed that you take the 1/4 wavelength of the Fs for the line length. Then you Multiply the Sd by 4 (8 for bi-pole) for So(?) and since I'm doing a monilith, zero out the closed end. I think that's right. I've attached a pdf of what I think is right.

Now where I get confused is how you calc the port area and length. As of yet, I do not have access to Martin's spreadsheets so I do all this on my own. Other than some vague Bigger=less damping and smaller=more, I haven't heard anything on how these are figured out. Is there an equation? They don't seem to be tuned like traditional BR ports so what's going on?

If I'm missing something completely obvious. Feel free to smack me in the head with a slide rule. :)

P.S. I pulled the port in my drawing from the fe127 Met. doubled the area as it seemed the most likely candidate.

Attachments

• piometbipole-model.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 200
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Port Dims on these confuse me.

gurley123 said:
After reading the Met. artical, It seemed that you take the 1/4 wavelength of the Fs for the line length. Then you Multiply the Sd by 4 (8 for bi-pole) for So(?) and since I'm doing a monilith, zero out the closed end.

No. That is not how you do it. Somewhere i outlined the procedure for turning a Met into a Monolith... but (the short version) you start by modeling an appropriate ML-TQWT in MJK. Fold it so that the driver is at the top, then you ignore the "top" which opens up the space that leads to a point.

The length needs to be longer than 1/4 Fs because it is a TQWT and the Sd plays no role at all in the design (except for the somewhat general & coincidental relation of Sd to Vas)

dave

Ok, so delussions of grandure on my part then.

So without MathCad and the MJK sheets I'm stuck? I'm guessing the math for figuring the length, volume and taper are pretty involved and might just cause an aneurysm in the untrained like me.

The problem is that I don't have the jack to layout for Mathcad right now.(a quick search showed the cheapest versions going for $129.00) Plus it would be hard to justify that purchase to the wife.

Are there any simplified equations that could get me in the ballpark?

Hi Gurley123, nice drawing. If you don't mind my asking, what's your thinking in tackling this?

Have you sort of have ruled out simpler cabinet designs for a 4" bipole? Are you on a quest for more bass, perhaps? Or do you find the allure of horns and folding an exciting and seductive intellectual pursuit? I love bipoles and horns (though personally, I'm going back to very simple builds right now), and I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Attachments

• carfrae.gif
    carfrae.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 866
Thanks rjbond3rd

I have a simple BR bipole for these. I was just dorking around and looking to make a floorstander. Plus I really like folding those long lines. :D

I have two pairs of these drivers right now. The idea is to have a Bipole cab where I can modify the drivers on one side and leave the other side stock to evaluate the changes.

Slotted port huh? Can it come out the bottom? I want to keep the symmetry of it so I can just turn it around and have the output the same.

gurley123 said:
Just a heads up guys. It looks as though MathCad Explorer is no longer supported. They now have a 30-day trial. They also have a plug-in for excel. Anyone have any experience with this?

You can download MathCad Explorer from my site. If you follow the instructions under "How to License the Worksheets" on the Upgraded MathCad Computer Models page you can download and install the MathCad Explorer program and then run a sample worksheet to make sure it works on your PC and experiment with editing the worksheets.

Originally posted by rjbond3rd I believe it's a no-longer-made Carfrae with a Lowther. It looks like a Metronome that was literally folded, does it not?

It looks nice is what. I really like that big deflector.

Originally posted by Planet10 I'd suggest converting the cylindrical port to a high aspect ratio slot

Dave, I assume just make it equal area and length? Roughly 11" x .625" x 1.75"deep.

Hi Guys

I've just received a pair of well broken in Fostex FE207E with phase plugs.

After having read last year about Bill's success at the Burning Amp Festival with the 64 inch high cabinets, housing his Hemp 8 inch drivers, I have been wanting to build a bigger pair.

I'll post a few pics as the build progresses.

Steve