The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

@Bon 's assessment that under platter damping does not effectively damp platter ringing is correct and can be verified by playing some music (CD or streaming etc) and place a stethoscope on the platter mat. The program music can be clearly heard in the platter indicating the platter is vibrating. Doing the same with the POM platter there is no audible music radiating from the platter. The stylus will hear this acoustic feedback and mix it with the signal.

There is a reason top TT manufacturers like Clearaudio and Thorens are using POM platters.

@PKI I have the Wyn Palmer phono preamp and it's a good one. Sota are selling this Wyn designed phono pre for about $500US
Actually $300 in the US. $400 in the EU,

Reactions: 1 user
I just received a pretty clean SL1000MK2 yesterday and after getting it set up, early impressions are fantastic, but a few questions from a novice:
  1. The strobe is visibly flashing/blinking at a steady rate. I assume this is a good indicator the power supply could use a re-cap (and hopefully not something more serious)?
  2. The anti-skate dial on the EPA100 is quite stiff but allows for very fine adjustment. I'm used to my old SL1200 which feels like a toy in comparison, but how firm is the anti-skate supposed to be?
  3. The aftermarket DIN --> RCA cable the seller supplied is faulty (R channel drops out when using a moving coil, but will work if I touch the ground lead to the barrel of the R connector (the chassis is separately grounded to my phono preamp through the grounding lug). The cable works fine with moving magnets, I assume because the signal returns are tied together. I'm going to put together a replacement cable myself - does anyone have a recommendation for a DIN connector they like that will work with the EPA100?
  4. The power supply is missing the toggle cap; does anyone have a spare kicking around they'd sell me?
  5. The platter probably hasn't been removed in years. What's the best way to remove it gently?
  6. The rubber tonearm gaskets are pretty hard. Anywhere to get replacements?
And finally, just want to say it's amazing that you all have put together what must be the definitive resource on this turntable. I've always wanted a MK2 but was really intimidated to take the leap but I am very glad I did. Much credit and thanks to you all!

1. Likely the neon bulb is failing.
2. That's grease turning to glue - it shouldn't be stiff at all. Careful the plastic gears.
3. Coils on an MM shouldn't be tied together. The generic style like the Zavfino/1877 TAD classic works fine.
5. Remove the screws and lift straight up. Shouldn't be an issue.
6. The mounting gaskets? No that I've seen. Easy enough to make from sheet stock.

Most difficult part for some would be disconnecting and re-soldering the arm wires from the din connector. Other than that the most important bit will be keeping the gear relationships correct.

You wont be able to clear all the old grease from the gear that houses the AS spring (and the spring itself) without taking the gimbal apart, which I wouldn’t recommend doing, but it’ll be good enough. The biggest problem spot is the gear under the dial.

To get the spanner out you can cut the ends off two poster pins, hold them in the spanner holes, and grab them with pliers. A bit fiddly, but it works.

Just go slow when moving that dial. Too much force can crack that gear. It will continue to get worse, but may take years before it’s critical.

exactly, if the knob of the a.s. it is hard, it could be that a gear has broken longitudinally; insisting too much can only get worse being made of plastic material.

gear epa 100.jpg