The Good. The Bad and the Ugly Car Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my backup amps I have never used is a 4ch infinity, it is huge too. But if it really is 111wrms x 4 @ 4ohm, that should be hefty enough to run any high side I come up with including midbass drivers. No idea what kind of amp they are though, nobody says. Not a bad looking amp IMO for being half fancy but needs more fins. I'm thinking if I use it I may take the legs off that cover part of the sink. The guts look better than cheap amps and it is screwed together well. One could even rig a fan to blow inside the sink on each side.

I agree, I am getting tired of huge amps. I look at my rubicon and they are pretty compact and not exactly new. Class D are getting smaller but class AB not always. The new alpine mrp are pretty small and of course you can hardly work on it either if it ever needs something.

Good,
Old School Orion HCCA
PPI's
Early RF's
Older Zapco
Special Edition

Bad
JDL??
Rockwood
ect.

Ugly
New school Rockford Fosgate Crap

So far I've had the pleasure of owning 2 HCCA 250's, 2 HCCA 225's, 1 Cobalt 230, Several Special editions, 1 Zapco AG200.
So far I've ether sold or thrown away everything I didn't like!

I'm still searching for a Orion Power Supply though :(

jol50 said:
Pyramid pro - 160236969256 I already have the sansui version.

Oh man, I just got a Rockwood in a pile of junk. One 12v IC and it looks like it is actually blown up! A diode is toasty.

This blaupunkt looks better, I wonder who made it. 250242414484 I heard kicker made some.

I think the early coustic (ampxxx) was a great looking amp, much like a linear power. If I built one it would have the same sink, they were the best IMO.

I have a power acoustic plasma sphere here, now the sphere thing is corny but actually the rest of the amp has the coolest finish on it like brushed stainless. Whatever it is I really like it as I usually prefer black. Maybe the coustic black tall fins and case out of this stuff. The early LP brushed aluminum ends were not that nice.

Good find. I have a brand new white pyramid in the box version like that but its actually shaped like a pyramid and the same guts as that one. They have the same model number too, lol. Weird they made them long enough to make two different heatsink versions.

jol50 said:
One of my backup amps I have never used is a 4ch infinity, it is huge too. But if it really is 111wrms x 4 @ 4ohm, that should be hefty enough to run any high side I come up with including midbass drivers. No idea what kind of amp they are though, nobody says. Not a bad looking amp IMO for being half fancy but needs more fins. I'm thinking if I use it I may take the legs off that cover part of the sink. The guts look better than cheap amps and it is screwed together well. One could even rig a fan to blow inside the sink on each side.

I agree, I am getting tired of huge amps. I look at my rubicon and they are pretty compact and not exactly new. Class D are getting smaller but class AB not always. The new alpine mrp are pretty small and of course you can hardly work on it either if it ever needs something.

Believe me, if you use that infinity 111 by 4 for your highs you won't need anything else. They sound really nice, I wish we still sold those.

Infinity is good? That is reassuring. I also have the smaller 2ch that is 2 x 83 or whatever, but could not get a sub amp. 111x4 is a monster IMO, that will give a lot of old school stuff a run for the money. It is hard to find a 100 or more x4 at 4 ohm. Weather getting nice, going to trial a bunch of amps soon.

Pyramid- Someone on here posted pics of a nos one I think, some time back maybe you? It had a DIN inside the case and no hole to use it, plus the sink was longer than the board by a little ways. I thought mine was missing PS fets but I think those are for the DIN that is where my traces go to, my din is empty. Heck the outputs fell off my board and amp lost volume. Found it later, amazing it didn't torch bridged on a 12.

I still have not looked inside this Speco I have here, it looks exactly like a pyramid I had from the 80s, big thick fins on top with about 30 degree angles on the sides and all black. My 300 (pb300?) was not bad and close to an old coustic amp300. This is a 400w 4ch though. It has to be old. They have the board in the bottom so I can't see much of what is in there but its packed full.

jol50:
This blaupunkt looks better, I wonder who made it. 250242414484

You haven't seen it in person. That's about a 1989 model, nothing to brag about in looks or performance. A real pain to mount because the screws had to be fed in through holes that went through all the fins and seated against the bottom fin.

Made by Blaupunkt themselves as was most of their electronics, at least then.

Shortly after, they came out with the 5350 5-channel. I can't substantiate the claim, but the distributer/retailer I worked for then told me it was a Zapco design.

ppia600:

Infinity 111x4? Black oval amp with orange/red writing? Do you remember who made those? I can't remember and it's annoying the tar out of me.

the old PG 'M' series was good. Old Soundstream, PPI, HCCA...all the usual suspects.

TruTechnologies are killer in the looks department, I really like the Copper series... solid copper with the exposed transistors....drool.
TRU Copper Series

Nothing was as ugly as today's styling trends...chrome flames, spiders, lights....blah... and, send the blue LED straight to hell. The amount of aesthetic atrocities the blue LED is responsible for far outweighs any good that has come of it's existence.

Edit: Forgot link

tsmith1315 said:
jol50:

You haven't seen it in person. That's about a 1989 model, nothing to brag about in looks or performance. A real pain to mount because the screws had to be fed in through holes that went through all the fins and seated against the bottom fin.

Made by Blaupunkt themselves as was most of their electronics, at least then.

Shortly after, they came out with the 5350 5-channel. I can't substantiate the claim, but the distributer/retailer I worked for then told me it was a Zapco design.

ppia600:

Infinity 111x4? Black oval amp with orange/red writing? Do you remember who made those? I can't remember and it's annoying the tar out of me.

Black oval amp, with orange/red writing?? I'm trying to but can't picture it. Around when were they made? Did you check the ampguts site? What do you mean by oval? Like the ppi pc2350 or like the punch dsm amps?

sorry...maybe not made by tripath, but two weedy little IC's? You see that kind of thing in decks

Attachments

• inside1.jpg
    inside1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 448
ppia600:
Black oval amp, with orange/red writing?? I'm trying to but can't picture it. Around when were they made? Did you check the ampguts site? What do you mean by oval? Like the ppi pc2350 or like the punch dsm amps?

Oval in cross-section, 1st generation infinity amps... Maybe my memory is fading. I think tomtomjr has a couple in his stash pics. I'll look at ampguts, but that takes time on dial-up access!

benlebow:
btw, wasn't old Fultron stuff US made?

The company (Arthur Fulmer) was in Memphis. I don't know where the stuff was built, but it didn't matter. They deserve to be grouped with the 80's Korean garbage.

flyin11:
I don't think Profile amps are built in Korea..???

In the 80's many things were different!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.