The future of analogue sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I grew up in the 1950's and refuse to use emoticons.

Flat triangular dither at around 1/2 LSB gives a noise floor that's somewhere in the ballpark of an LSB measured on a plain AC voltmeter. I guess the exact amount can vary quite a bit with various shaping schemes and weightings. Or possibly I'm using too old-fashioned a meaning for noise floor - it could conceivably mean several things to several people.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 1012MSBfig06.jpg
    1012MSBfig06.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 92
I have pictures too. Example unditherd 504.644Hz 44.1/16 full scale sinewave. The odd frequency is because the tool does not have arbitrary N FFT's. To show the result of 44100Hz sampling and 65536 point FFT's without artifacts the frequencies should be multiples of the ratio 44100/65536.

Brickwall at 600Hz leaves perfect sinewave.

Attachments

• 500hz.JPG
    500hz.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 91
Sorry but you can easily do the exercise yourself with Audition/Cooledit. Take an undithered 500hz quantized sine wave with all the little steps like you see in the text book and brickwall it and you are left with a near perfect 500Hz sine wave. See for instance the AES white paper from Channel D on digitizing LP's.

As an additional comment with respect to LP's I would think the sample to sample uncertainty would determine the degree of self dither. That is the distribution of the total noise amplitude in the process sampled at say 1/fs time points. This is not a trivial problem but like all these types of problems the answer is somewhere in Rice's Bell Labs treatise on the statistics of noise. I know the answer is there for white noise bandlimited between two frequencies.

Well, at the 16 bit resolution I was speaking of, I doubt one could see 'all the little steps' when viewing the entire waveform, either before or after. But I've seen the effects of such post filtering on general smoothing & noise removal with a variety of signals with step function noise.

It's a very common observation, and as the years have passed, many folks (including me) also almost always prefer an earlier to a later CD version of the same music. Very strange, since the hardware for conversion just gets better; so shouldn't a newer "remastered" version be inherently better, rather than almost always worse?

There are exceptions (Columbia, for one) but the general rule seems to be that modern (post maybe mid 1990's) remasters of older analog material are being made by deaf idiots, not to put to fine a point on it. They're compressed, often digitally clipped, wierdly eq'ed, you name it - it's being done. No reason other than stupidity, as I see it.

All of the hootin and hollerin about analog vs. digital is apples and oranges without a lot more control than is ever mentioned. Yeah, Internet.

All good fortune,
Chris

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue; several versions on vinyl and on compact disc, including SACD, have been released.
My preferred one is on SACD, the latest one.

Now, they have been remastering LPs and CDs since the beginning of times, and some are now on Blu-ray Audio.

Some newer remastered LPs are selling between $40 and $80.
On CDs and SACDs (BD-A) they are selling between $20 and $30.
And you also have digital hi-res audio files (downloads) from online Wide Web World, at roughly the same prices as CDs and SACDs.

The digital proposition seems to be more affordable for "audiophiles" with a sense of awareness and wisdom.
The analog one is more complex and expensive and distancing itself from the common more affordable masses. ...As if LPs were made of diamonds and rubies.

There is trouble in some hi-res audio files derived from PCM and upsampled.
There is trouble also in the quality remastering of some LPs (record labels).

We have a choice, we do our research, and we pick our own poison, relative or irrelevant of price.

We balance ourselves the pros and cons of each format, and that balance becomes personal, and not universal.

It is a bit like some people prefer their movies on Blu-ray, and others like them on DVD, or Laser Disc or S-VHS tapes.

We already know what's best for us, and we don't want anyone questioning our decisions and ways of living.
No one has to follow the rules, the conventions, the standards of "superiority", the establishment. We are free to live in harmony with ourselves, and accommodate with all our surroundings, including other people.

Make no mistake; a better world is the one unobtainable.
...And some people re-explore and rediscover the R-2-R analog tape decks.
The tougher and the the more expensive it is to get the best music on tapes, the more exclusivity, the more pride, and the more passionate is the search and the find.

Owning something and listening to it are two different things, and the intensity level of each one is only measured by its owner and listener.
Nobody else can accurately balance that equation.

Enjoy the music ♪

So true ... I tried some experiments fairly recently of reducing the bit depth of a music track to very low levels, 16 bits down to about 5 bits or so - the 'quality' of the noise in the raw truncation was very unpleasant, and changed dramatically depending on dither type applied - using the 'right' dither made it sound very 'natural', one could imagine there was more to the sound then there actually was ...

Frank, I have a Rotel CD player, RCD-991, which has a "dither" button.
I can add several level of dither depending on the music recording.

I have three turntables, one linear-drive, the other belt-drive, and the last is motor-drive, auto.
None of them have a "dither" button, and my phono preamps don't have a RIAA curves adjust. ...Subsonic filter, that I got.

I grew up in the 1950's and refuse to use emoticons.

Same here (50's), but I let myself free of using some emoticon(s), or not.

Flat triangular dither at around 1/2 LSB gives a noise floor that's somewhere in the ballpark of an LSB measured on a plain AC voltmeter. I guess the exact amount can vary quite a bit with various shaping schemes and weightings. Or possibly I'm using too old-fashioned a meaning for noise floor - it could conceivably mean several things to several people.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, where do you see analogue sources say, twenty years from now?

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue; several versions on vinyl and on compact disc, including SACD, have been released.
My preferred one is on SACD, the latest one.

I have seen several discussions on other sites that start just like that. Without knowing the exact source material and mastering process I personally think the conclusions that you can make are limited.

It amuses me when I see people posting the latest stats on music record sales.

It's not what is selling that truly counts, it's what people are listening to these days.

Do you think it's from analog turntables and analog Reel-to-reel tape decks and VHS tape cassette decks and music tape cassette decks?
...Or more like from digital download audio files, USB sticks, iPods, iPads, iPhones, PS3s, MP3s, CDs, Blu-rays, DVDs, SACDs, Ethernet radio, ...?

Who's got the stats for that!?! ...The one that truly counts.

Yeay right, there is a new resurgence in vinyl, just check the sales!
...As if they were trying to convince you that analog is superior!
Get a grip, we live in a digital world, and analog is for the prehistoric emotional nostalgic sensitive type. ...A beautiful type of people for sure, but totally restricted in dynamic range, two-channel stereo, and full of phase issues and distortion, and very bad recordings with tics and pops and styluses you have to replace, and album's wear and tear, and record cleaning machines that are essential, and phono preamps, and expensive cartridges (for better sound), and liquid and brushes, and getting up of your chair every 20 minutes, and static and hum and feedback and sub-bass issues, and so many more calamities involved with analog listening, the full inferior experience, even for people who have invested more than hundred grands in it!

Yeah right, analog is more accurate and pleasurable! ...And you got all these great jazz albums and digitally recorded classical albums! ...Stuff that you'll never get in digital form!

Plus you need the RIAA EQ curves! Plus people who listen to albums are generally more peaceful and laid back. ...Like in the discotheques with the DJs spinning them albums backward! ...The future of analog that's exactly where it is; spinning them backward (in reverse)! :)

Have a read of this - makes interesting predictions for the future of vinyl.

The Vinyl Revival and the Resurrection of Sound | DigitalDreamDoor.com

Interesting.

I surprised myself, many years ago now, when the DAL audio cards (IDE buss!) appeared and I could no longer hear any difference between a vinyl source and the digital (red book only on these early cards) copy. That really shut up my griping about the evils of Digital. Times change.

Folks who listen to a lot of commercially made music from the pre-digital era, like me, have access to several generations now of commercially made reproductions, but none of us has access to the originals. But I don't believe it's that hard to tell what's right and what's wrong with the reproductions.

A carefully made honest reproduction is great, but the crap that Warner Brothers (and Rhino! Sob.) are selling lately is not great.

There's no technical reason that a plain old CD can't sound just a wonderful as the best vinyl record, and without the artifacts. But there seem to be non-technical reasons.

Thanks,
Chris

Analog music formats* are like vacuum tubes... there will be a niche market for the foreseeable future. (Into the next century wouldn't surprise me.)

*Vinyl specifically, because tape's reign at the top was relatively short-lived. A turntable might be nostalgic, but a cassette walkman is stuck at anachronism.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.