The "Force 8" collaborative design

I think sticking with Rule 6 is important, as one of the aims is to see what can be achieved with modern components and methods. If we set out to have something that won't go as loud as the original then we're losing our way. It would be good to have something that could be fairly compared with the original.

Cheers

Doug

it will be better than the Gales, but the ultimate 8" for your size is Scan Rev.

I would use...

Beyma 8BR40/N
Vifa TC9FD-18-08
One of the ones recommended by system7 or HiVi Q1R

\M

Attachments

• Memory SPL.gif
    Memory SPL.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 160
  • CB Response Beyma 8BR40.gif
    CB Response Beyma 8BR40.gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 157
Scan 12M Revelator midrange and Scan D3004-660000.

possible xover @380-500hz and @2500-3500hz.

But 12M does costs nearly twice as much as the 5" BMS I suggested and was dismissed as too expensive.
Similarly the D3004-66000 at £105 +VAT might be a tad too dear.
And again the 8" Revelators start at £163+VAT and none seem have a Qts high enough to work in a sealed cab.

A Scanspeak Revelator stuffed box would come to about £500 (Aus$ 910) per speaker without tax or postage.

Last edited:
But 12M does costs nearly twice as much as the 5" BMS I suggested and was dismissed as too expensive.
And again the 8" Revelators start at £163+VAT and none seem have a Qts high enough to work in a sealed cab.

A Scanspeak Revelator stuffed box would come to about £500 (Aus$ 910) per speaker without tax or postage.

As far as the cost of drivers is concerned, what is readily affordable for one DIYer may be out of reach of another. This is why I proposed that we eventually sort the drivers everyone suggests into 3 groups ("Phase I, Phase II or Phase III"). Personally, I'm unlikely to build a Phase III, but I don't wish to deter another person from doing so. When & if we get to constructing something, I'd like to see a build log from each group.

cheers

Doug

There are few reasons :
1. Available in Australia (through WES)
2. I've worked with 12M and heard the D3004 and Scan 8" Rev
3. None of the 8 can work within his volume limits without EQ, when we apply EQ, the power handling drops significantly, hence we need woofers with stronger motor and more xmax (have a look at my simulation)

this is the ultimate version of Gale inspired speakers. I'm pretty sure there are few dozens of combo out there.

There are few reasons :
1. Available in Australia (through WES)
2. I've worked with 12M and heard the D3004 and Scan 8" Rev
3. None of the 8 can work within his volume limits without EQ, when we apply EQ, the power handling drops significantly, hence we need woofers with stronger motor and more xmax (have a look at my simulation)

this is the ultimate version of Gale inspired speakers. I'm pretty sure there are few dozens of combo out there.

1. Fair enough as I obviously have no idea what's easily available in Oz.

2. I've no doubt that they are good drivers, just a bit on the steep side but as Brisso said 'Phase III' candidates.

3. According to MrMag and my own simulations the Beymas do 50Hz without eq using factory data.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The GS401 is a W-MT-W 1978 speaker. Awards

The Sony SS AR1 TM-WW is a 2011 speaker. Awards

A great exercise would be to compare the two designs using the same drivers. How much sound quality do you give up for style?

"1978 style layout" versus "2012 performance layout"

Absolutely nothing wrong soundwise in the original design and layout if used in the correct orientation so SQ is always my priority. Or have I misinterpreted your statement.question??

Brisso There are so many 2Ohm stable amps around these days I don't see the need to it being a dedicated Tri-amp speaker and would have liked the option of helping design a passive XO when the drivers were selected

Absolutely nothing wrong soundwise in the original design and layout if used in the correct orientation so SQ is always my priority. Or have I misinterpreted your statement.question??

Brisso There are so many 2Ohm stable amps around these days I don't see the need to it being a dedicated Tri-amp speaker and would have liked the option of helping design a passive XO when the drivers were selected

Hi Moondog55

As far as designing a XO, you're very welcome to chime in as we go along. Perhaps we could have some (including myself) choosing to triamp, and others (including yourself) choosing to go "hard-wired". I don't see a problem in developing the two options.

cheers
Doug

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Doug that's all I really need at the moment.
"Another" project LOL
Crikey it takes me ages to just overcome the inertia.
With regard to -henrys- objection how loud do these actually have to go?
10mm nominal X is actually quite a bit as X-damage is at least +15% on these woofers so how much low bass boost were you thinking of henry??

GS401a Chromed Stands

For anyone who may be interested, I found a reference to someone who has (in recent times) manufactured a number of replica chrome stands. The stands have been bought by many Gale enthusiasts whose Gales were not sold with the stands. (They were options.)

Anyway, here's the links

New Chrome Stands? | galeaudio.com

http://www.vintagegale.com/

cheers
Doug

Last edited:
Doug that's all I really need at the moment.
"Another" project LOL
Crikey it takes me ages to just overcome the inertia.
With regard to -henrys- objection how loud do these actually have to go?
10mm nominal X is actually quite a bit as X-damage is at least +15% on these woofers so how much low bass boost were you thinking of henry??

the xmax is 3.5mm :)

Visaton W200S-8 8" Woofer with Treated Paper Cone 8 Ohm