The Flying V, Cal style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Me neither; question's how rapidly the inverse pendulum vibrates back and forth. If the resonant frequency's above, oh, maybe somewhere around half the crossover frequency to the woofer I'd make it flexier, not stiffer. If the other way around then there's some headroom for stiffening.

Cal, if you are patient with modifying, i'd suggest to check out either way - I'd be surprised if you could not find any difference in sonic presentation.

The tricky thing with "inverse swings" is to find the point where suspension is flexible enough for low resonant frequency but also is stable enough to keep the speaker securely in place .

Michael

Last edited:
haha they look cool!
Thanks, even my wife who is happy with 2" speakers was a driving force with these even though it made her a speaker widow for a couple weeks.

(i hate pine,
Me too that's why I used spruce ;)

ARENT these more like Cals Headphones?
You guys kill me.

Ever thought of going to a 12 baffle step program?
That is funny. Thankfully she's not as worried about my speaker habit as some of my others.

Nice project, Cal !
Thank you.

Don't see it as a design flaw necessarily

I do but I am wondering what was swaying last time, me or the box? Today seemed to work ok. Very little back and forth.

With the front of your speaker cabinet rings being flat, you could put a mirror on the front?

Not a chance. The last thing I want to look at while listening to sweet music is me. :)

You have a compressor... Get a cheap or used spray gun, and experiment.

I have spray guns, my compressors are too small. They seem to be the only thing that doesn't have enough air around here.

You got plenty of speaker cabinets to play with hahahahahaha :D

Ya, no ****! Good thing I have another place to store them in.

Spray gun will yield better results. But even a spray can bomb looks fine with lots of elbow grease.......

Ya, I figure about 25 cans of textured paint should do these puppies.

How about black, with some crazy clear coat? Like a pearlescent metallic deep forest green clear coat. :D

Man, I don't like this, you actually got me thinking about finishing these things. Actually, if it's gonna happen, it will be in 3 years or so when we sell our other interests and get a real place for all this stuff. Then I'm gonna call on you guys to show me what a hack might do with these and all the others.

Finally.

Many things got in the way but I managed to get a couple hours of listening in with the system all active today. For music I invited Joni, Jackson, Joel, John, James, Jane, Jethro, Jordan and of course my ol' pal Jimmy to perform.

Once again I found out why I like big speakers.

The only problem I can see is that I am only 3m away from the speakers so they were barely moving when it got loud. I am only using the Tascam 30 watt amps but still...

Part way through I decided to have a beer. It's amazing what your attitude contributes to the environment. It went from critical listening to just enjoying the music. I had a buddy with me and the next thing you know we were laughing and joking and everything was fine. The music was what music should be, pure listening pleasure.

Cheers. :cheers:

I have noticed a flaw in the design though. I think I have to reinforce the woofer stand. There is enough flex in the woofer v's that there is a slight fore and aft movement of the box itself.
Don't see it as a design flaw necessarily -
I do but I am wondering what was swaying last time, me or the box?

And why is it you think "you do" ?
:D

Part way through I decided to have a beer. It's amazing what your attitude contributes to the environment. ...

Cheers. :cheers:

Many ways to Elysium to choose from...
:cheers:
Michael

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.