The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tripath's resolution is indeed amazing, better than any other Class D amp I've heard. but i did hear a discrete solid state amp that rivaled my AMP5 though, and was actually even more transparent. but it was very expensive to build and overheated one day, even though it was watercooled via a garden hose at full power.

Say it ain't so is right.

I recently got a Bel Canto preamp and amp for my home system. AFAIK, Tripath circuitry is still in the latest amp models ("e-series"), now have ICE Power supplies. Really amazing, but long break-in...
FYI I paid full, have no connection to Bel Canto, will probably get more amps for my mixing monitors. I used to build and partly design Essence amps (SS) and pres (tube), from Lincoln, NE, now defunct. Still like to dabble and tweak. I am really thrilled at the level I'm getting, curious about competitors like ARC, they've made some great gear.

it was a pure discrete class A amp based on FETs. if you must know, it's a high output modification of the Dynamite headphone amp, made to drive speakers, and even the headphone version already gets very hot. as far as i could tell, this amp was (not is, R.I.P. my poor blown amp) basically straight wire with gain. the difference between these kinds of amps and the Class D amps is that Class D does treble different. It's lighter and floatier, so I think the Class A amps still do treble more accurately. but what i like about the Tripath is that its midrange sounds like a S.E.T. amp, which is amazing. But now that S.E.T. amps have actually become cheaper than Class D, I'm going to go that route.

v-bro said:

Please show us, I would like to know what the price is and where...
Thanks Cotdt! :worship:

Especially interested in the transformers they use, does the lower price include them?

You mean the SET amps? well it's against forum rules to post links, but they're about $350 shipped from china (that's cheaper than my UcD's, a bit more than my AMP5), and there are many places to get them. they output from 3W to 8W depending on the kind you get, and everything is included. replaced with good NOS tubes, these are as good as it gets and makes one wonder why some people pay $10k+ for a SET amp. In general though, tube amps are becoming much cheaper and the prices are still dropping. sound quality is amazing and everyone i know has been wowed the first time they've heard a good SET amp.

back to topic about the end of tripath. well i know that there are huge stockpiles of the chips, so by the time we all grow old, they would still be available just like 1950's NOS tubes are still available today. I wouldn't hoard them unless you plan to sell them for exorbitant prices when you become old.

cotdt said:

back to topic about the end of tripath. well i know that there are huge stockpiles of the chips, so by the time we all grow old, they would still be available just like 1950's NOS tubes are still available today.

If Samsung or Toshiba or Panasonic don't buy them all in stock for their flat panel TV and car audio :(

Anyway there will be no more development in their way of making amps.

cotdt said:
You mean the SET amps? well it's against forum rules to post links, but they're about $350 shipped from china...

Offtopic:
For as far as I know it's not against the rules of this forum to post links, I don't mind others to do so....for as long as I have the choice to go there....or not.... it's still something WAY different than banners, I placed the link in my signature out of mere sympathy for Jan. I like his amps a lot and think the word should be spread for the sake of DIY audiofreaks on a tight budget...

Ontopic:
Jan is still quite optimistic about the future (see the 41hz forum), his only worry is the chips becoming more expensive. I don't really doubt the patents will be bought by other companies and another brilliant chip will arise, marketed in a smarter way...perhaps even constructed in a smarter way.... The alternatives will catch up..;)

thomaseliot said:

If Samsung or Toshiba or Panasonic don't buy them all in stock for their flat panel TV and car audio :(

Anyway there will be no more development in their way of making amps.

Darn, that would be sad...
:bawling:

I do think the developers behind Tripath will find another job...I'm not so worried about a research stop...

I know Jan purchased a couple of'em, so no worries for him in the near future...

Bel Canto unaffected

Just FYI, I spoke to a person at Bel Canto who informed me that that their products have not incorporated Tripath chips for some time, and will not be affected by the travails of that company.

Whew. If you've priced and heard the new Bel Canto gear, this is extremely welcome news.

Samsung LCD TV - 2020 CHIP

johnm,

"I know Samsung are using their TA2020 chips in their LCD TVs - lets hope demand for these chips keeps the company afloat."

How do you know this? Because if it's true that would be very good news! Samsung is huge! We already know they have increased sales to high volume IPOD/SIRIUS/PSP docking stations. They also had Sharp for LCD TV's not too long ago, if they kept sharp and added Samsung for LCD TV's, plus all of the docking stations, they just might make it? They probably have cut at least half of the employees to save cash. The question is did they cut enough and go profiable?

For 5.0M someone could grab a large chunck of this company! I keep thinking someone will grab it.

aimho

Thanks in advance,

I also hope they can survive!

v-bro said:
Do they sell kits?:rolleyes:
Otherwise +1 for Bel Canto, -1 for the DIY-er...:(
Not really. Bel Canto was the first high-end builder to use tripath's chips in quantity, and the acclaim of the products brought a lot of respect for FM amp stages (if that describes Tripath...). Also, the ICEPower supplies are really cool units and very green. I spoke to their reps at AES this fall, and they are a great choice for anybody who wants to skip fiddling with the supply. Details at:
http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp
John Stronczer of Bel Canto was away when I called, but I'll try to learn what they are doing (generally) with their gain stages.

Hello,

I hope tripath will survive, in french an electronics chop (named selectronic) is ready to sold his own class d amp based on tripath chip. The first feed was that this amp sound better than an cl3 gemincore (an other french manufacturer of class d amp) which is a very quality amp. (a review here , in french )

A question for thomaseliot:
I would like to wind a new coil for my amp5 just like you with a MPP toroidalcore from cws, could you give me the cws bytemark PN of your core please? (the ref of the core you use wich enable the possibilty to have 13µH with only 13 turns of awg16 wire)
Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.