The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Approximately whatever a F5, F4 or Aleph would cost, plus the cost of the Jensen transformers... Which will probably be $35-45 each.

Chassis, and to a certain extent PSU is always the biggest cost, and also the biggest variable. There are chassis from China for $100 that would work. (Not counting the $80 for shipping it ...) There are people who can build amazing things our of heatsinks and some angle bracket, and there are people who will buy the wonderful Deluxe chassis from the store.

But If you forced me to throw some numbers out, I would estimate the following -

$120-170 for the PSU including PCB
$100-150 for the amp circuit with transformers and PCB, maybe more depending on were you source the Jfets
$25-100 for all the random little stuff that you never think about but goes into the amp
+ Chassis

Again, that's just an estimate. There's a lot of variables and it will be different from person to person.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I am sure that if put in the store a lot more poeple would buy them than just those that said they would here.

Absolutely. The responses gauge the initial rush.

I'm interested in boards and transformers. Would like to know what the price will be. Will they work with the SemiSouth parts?

The PCB will probably be about what the other amps cost, $25/stereo pair or thereabouts. No idea yet on the transformers. Yes, they will work with the SemiSouth parts, the bias voltage needs to be a bit less, that's all