The computer thread

I'm not gamer so I guess I'm not really affected but Internet speeds are largely irrelevant. 1 Gigabit is the equivalent of owning a Ferrari in the city. Your 'speed' is governed by how fast the server at the other end can transmit data.
Here 1 Gigabit is the equivalent of owning a Ferrari in a small area with well built roads that can allow it to roam at full speed. Those roads are connected to the larger city where all the businesses, shopping, restaurants, and other places you want to visit are by a two lane road with a gigabit speed limit that can accomodate all of the traffic that would flow through it if all the movement was evenly distributed across time. However this is not the case. Traffic on this road slows to a crawl at 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM because of the uneven demands for its use.

I'm not a gamer either, but my wife does stream a lot of 1080 TV through the internet via ROKU, and I often watch YouTube videos in 4K. I have tested the downloads during prime time and find that most of the time our service will support watching one live TV show in 1080 while recording another while also streaming two simultaneous 4K streams from YouTube. Most of the time everything works fine. Comcast does seem to favor certain streaming services over the ones owned by competing networks. Comcast owns NBC, so their Peacock streaming service always works, but Paramount+, owned by CBS takes several tries to get started and will stop to buffer several times during a show.

Wow, $250 seems a lot but I've always avoided bundles so not sure of comparison. Paying about $C95/month for gigabit internet. Upgraded internally to gigabit slowly over time, basically 3 used eero 6 routers, a $15 gigabit switch, and the cheapest ethernet cables I could find on Amazon because I figured out the cheap cables I had been buying on Aliex were only 100BaseT.
The same package costs considerably less in other markets, but we live in a rural area where there is no OTA TV reception, spotty cell service, and no 5G coverage at all. Satellite TV is an option for most people, but it gets whacked by rain and snow. We have a 300 foot ridge to our west and southwest which blocks some of the satellites. There are some satellite and OTA internet providers here, but they are pricey and slow. Attempting to pick and choose the few TV channels we do watch with a slower internet speed always costs more than the bundled deal, so we are stuck with several hundred channels we have never watched. Cell phone service is spotty here and highly dependent on the weather, so we need a landline that works. There are two choices, but Comcast is cheaper overall, and their phone service is more reliable than the 50 year old twisted pair service from the wireline phone company.

The infrastructure doesn't work that way. In the real world server output is capped. e.g. I download a lot of movies. The server allocates 400kbs to each file. My purchased bandwidth allow me to download 12 files at the same time but if I download a single file the speed is no faster.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I often watch YouTube videos in 4K.
!!! I would love 🤓 🤩 🥳 to see that!! (Sorry. I been following a channel where everybody speaks in emoticons.)

Just yesterday uploaded a dog-clip from the new cellphone. Half an hour to upload a few minutes. Not-RG8 is slow (when shared with the whole street). Then the first viewing ran at 360p, blurry. I know YouTube runs a long compression process and today I saw a blazing 1080p (for a minute, see rotary buffering in clip below). Considering all the film and video I shot over the decades, this is really quite good for stuff ordinary people can afford.
DogWalkClips-2023-01-22.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here 1 Gigabit is the equivalent of owning a Ferrari in a small area with well built roads that can allow it to roam at full speed.
Funny. We live in the mountains of Central America among the coffee beans and bananas and we all have Gigabit fiber available. It’s the best connection we’ve ever had. We backed ours down to 500 Mbps because we didn’t need the speed.

On the flip side the power here goes out a LOT. So a big UPS keeps the connection going for a few hours. It gets a real workout.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
in the mountains of Central America among the coffee beans and bananas and we all have Gigabit fiber available
I was virtually cruising street-view in Brazil and saw a billboard promising "fibre 200M R$199" which seems to be twenty bucks US.

The 50MPS cable here costs us $69+. They have lifted the throttle but it is shared media so we get 60 in early evening, 289-370 late evening.

1Gig-2Gig fiber is coming (they say) for $190, $55 for 50-speed. I see the loops on every other pole but I don't see the truck.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 50MPS cable here costs us $69+.
Sounds about right. I think we were paying about $50 for 20Mbps in Florida. That's the best there was in our suburban neighborhood. At least it was reliable, no complaints.

What I suspect here is a game of hopscotch. There wasn't any high speed over wires up here 2 years ago. The house was linked by a microwave dish to a tower on the mountain top. So when the ground based network got built out last year, we got the latest-greatest network. We hopscotched over existing installations right to Gigabit fiber. I've been told it will support 2 Gbps, which is about 5X what we need.

Just completed the latest sub-project of my cheap workstation, going to 6 heads, all 1440p or better.

Did the motherboard surgery to run 2 GPU's by cutting a slot in the end of a PCIe x8 slot. Didn't have a rotary tool with saw blade as is commonly recommended, so I improvised with...a soldering iron. Worked very well, well worth the effort of having to clean and re-tin the tip. Now running a GTX1060 in the x16 slot and a GTX1050Ti in the modded slot.

Cabling is actually a huge pain when doing 6 monitors on the cheap. My collection of 6 used monitors consists of 5 different models, some with some real quirks in which connectors support full resolution in a multi-monitor setup, and you need at least 2 10' cables if the computer is to one side. This was actually much more effort than expected but is now finally sorted.