The computer thread

Any Opera browser experts?
I have reported this to Opera but no response yet.

Bookmarks do not always open correct URL.
Example -
Ebay.co.uk bookmark now opens Ebay.com.
However, if I open in 'new private window', it opens Ebay.co.uk correctly.

This is not the first time I have had a similar issue.
Others have reported similar issues in the past but I don't see a definitive solution.

Any Opera browser experts?
I have reported this to Opera but no response yet.

Bookmarks do not always open correct URL.
Example -
Ebay.co.uk bookmark now opens Ebay.com.
However, if I open in 'new private window', it opens Ebay.co.uk correctly.

This is not the first time I have had a similar issue.
Others have reported similar issues in the past but I don't see a definitive solution.
are you using desktop pc or android version?

Installed the gigabit switch I bought last week, 1 for 1 replacement of a 10/100 unmanaged switch with a 10/100/1000 managed switch (but left at factory default). Not much of an improvement, ping to ISP dropped 1 ms. I guess that's worth $15?
The biggest advantage would be internal network speeds. I have Gb switches and with all the use in this house they are crucial to a good experience.

The biggest advantage would be internal network speeds. I have Gb switches and with all the use in this house they are crucial to a good experience.
I'm more concerned about net connectivity speeds, there are basically 2 ISP's here, and they both suffer from intermittent slowdowns, no matter your service level, although bigger is usually better. Toying with idea of actually having accounts on both ISP's with a redundant connection to a server for my home business, which others have done for truly rural locations, but I have to get into black ink first.

I see.
We have a very reliable fiber connection at home, have the lowest speed available for the area and I frequently cross 30MB down and up speeds so that's at least 240Mbit. Down time has been perhaps a couple of hours in the last 3 years.

Are you talking about 2 different ISPS as in: requiring you to have 2 different means of connectivity?
I think we only get fiber here now, there are some remote areas that perhaps still get ADSL but that's very rare. Most remote new installations use 4G/5G network solutions.

Are you talking about 2 different ISPS as in: requiring you to have 2 different means of connectivity?
I think we only get fiber here now, there are some remote areas that perhaps still get ADSL but that's very rare. Most remote new installations use 4G/5G network solutions.
Yes, 2 physical connections to different ISP's. My house was built around 2000 and I am in a city, so all the houses have an RG cable and phone connection at a local "green box" where ISP's typically do whatever wiring that needs to be done. However, 1 of the ISP's is putting in infrastructure to actually have fiber run into individual homes for new fiber subscribers, so I am pretty sure I could get 2 ISP's without significant charge for running new wires. I have little faith that upgrading to fiber would solve the problem, it's obvious that the bottlenecks are occurring somewhere inside the ISP's.

It is possible that some of the bottlenecks will be reduced somewhat with a new fiber connection, though it is unlikely they will vanish completely.
Indeed. It is an easy business case to calculate, I am paying $84/month for 100Mbps account, if it becomes the redundant line and is deducted off business income at even a conservative 50%, then is avoiding slowdowns for a year worth $500? Answer unknown, but relatively easy to figure out by looking at business income.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
RG mostly went the way of the dodo
You would think. But we been on shared RG8 for a decade. In the last 5 years they magically boosted from 10M to 25M, then 50M, then 100M (some action needed). Then last month they said they would give us 200M just because they are great people (they aren't, but it was a solid 220M up, still slow ping and download). Then last night was a service break, and today I see 260M and 350M depending on where I test to. (Still uploads like it is 1999 again.) Since the same RG8 also carries a full load of (crappy) TV channels, and innernet for my whole block/town, I don't see how the bits fit.

The cable company may be running scared. There's a reel-trailer around town lashing something on existing phone/cable lines. It looks like fiber. If so, many months until they can bring it down to houses. And a speedy last-mile won't make up for the many miles the long way through the woods of Vermont (one track!) to a decent main backbone. It may really be to beef-up back-haul for 5G cell stuff, which is making inroads I never expected to see. (The bay is well covered but it punks-out when it touches land.)

Well, my old tech "super" computer is drawing to a close. Had some challenges, but not too bad in the end.
What it is in the end: dual Xeon 5675 3MHz, 48Mb DDR3 ECC RAM, 500Gb 2.5" SSD, 250Gb M.2 SSD, 600W PS, GTX1060 6Gb GPU. It's comically like a collection of the peak low efficiency components from a decade ago.

Not nearly that much DIY as my last budget project, not a single pop rivet involved. Snipped off some connectors on the PS to add a 2nd 8pin 12V connector for the dual CPU mobo. Had to hog out the bracket holes on a gaming CPU cooler to make it fit LGA1366 mounts. Had to solder new connectors on the Dell 4 wire fans to make them fit standard 4 wire pinout. Had to put a new connector on the front panel LED.

You would think. But we been on shared RG8 for a decade...... Since the same RG8 also carries a full load of (crappy) TV channels, and innernet for my whole block/town, I don't see how the bits fit.
It may not be RG-8. Most cable companies use a "hardline" that's about the same diameter as RG8 but has a solid aluminum outer conductor and a copper or copper clad aluminum center conductor. The dielectric is typically Teflon based and optimized for low loss. This cable is semi flexible and comes on large spools about 6 feet in diameter. We are two miles out of a small town on a single run of this stuff that goes on for about another mile, with several short spurs to serve clusters of homes. Somewhere, the other end of this cable gets turned into fiber.

Connecting a spectrum analyzer to the cable reveals a hundred or so 6 MHz wide TV carriers, some of which probably carry multiple channels at less than 1080P. There are a few 20 MHz wide channels which I assume are multiplexed internet data streams. There are lots of other signals out to almost 2 GHz, some of which are quite weak, and may be IMD products from the lower frequency stuff, but some are strong enough to be intentionally put there.

We feed Comcast about $250 per month for phone, a zillion channels of crappy TV, and "gigabit" internet. On Sunday morning I can see speeds close to gigabit down, but on Friday evening, it can be as slow as 200 Mbps. Right now (Sunday morning at 9AM) I am getting 947 Mbps down, and 41 Mbps up.

Wow, $250 seems a lot but I've always avoided bundles so not sure of comparison. Paying about $C95/month for gigabit internet. Upgraded internally to gigabit slowly over time, basically 3 used eero 6 routers, a $15 gigabit switch, and the cheapest ethernet cables I could find on Amazon because I figured out the cheap cables I had been buying on Aliex were only 100BaseT.