The computer thread

Just some fun talk. I am rearranging / building/ converting my workspace and the most convenient machine I have to web search / research / and post this message is one of my old HP DL380 G6s. I must say that 8 SAS drives and 2 Xeon X5550s makes for a nice nerdy heater.

Also for fun just got an 811 score on Cinebench R15
OS is 2016 server enterprise.
Jeremy

Today my iMac experienced disk failure. After replacing the disk i started with a OSX install usb.
The install program gave me a menue where one was "restore from timemachine", which i choosed.
As it was connected via ethernet it discovered a few timemachine volumes, i selected the correct one, then
i had to tell which of the saved machines and finally which backup (1 per day), i choose the latest.
2 hours later the macine booted up in user mode and everything was on place. Some housekeeping was needed
( logging on to icloud as the machine-is probably changed) and google made some adjustments with mail.

This is how hard it should be to recover after a crash. Timemachine is a very nice feature and does it work
in the background.

Apple !

Just replaced the 256GB SSD in my HP Pavilion 17-ab240nd with a 2TB 970 Samsung SSD. Both were M.2 devices, but cloning was impossible because the mainboard only has one M.2 slot (like most laptops). So I made an image with the trial version of Macrium Reflect on a SATA harddisk connected to the mainboard. I replaced the SSD with the new one and was able to restore the image (in fact 4 partitions, HP’s default) on the 2TB SSD.

After rebooting I could use Windows (10) from the new SSD. However it was still only 256GB, with lots of unused space. I turned the unused space into a partition with a drive letter.

With IM-Magic - a 100% free tool - I deleted the recovery partition on the SSD. This was one of the 4 partitions. Partitions have to adjacent to be merged with IM-Magic. After this deletion I could add the free space to my C: driver and finally get the 2TB space (1.81 TB net value or 2.000.108.441.600 bytes).

Everything is running as expected, but it was quite a journey to find the right (free) tools to do this.

Regards, Gerrit

NB: I’ll leave it lik this for a few weeks and then I will put the old SSD in an external USB3.1 enclosure for fast external storage.

it was quite a journey to find the right (free) tools to do this.
Yeah, you'd think by now it would be automated by the OS itself by Windows 10. Not that anyone would want to ever upgrade their main disk drive. Like, to put on new tires, you have to throw the whole car away and start over; nice!

The kid garbled up the PC I gave him, complained it too slow even after throwing memory and SSD at it. (This is for college assignments mind you - everything on line) So I tried the Windows master reset after pulling some of his files. God knows where he's been on line with it. I'm shocked he went back after winter break with just his laptop; no backup PC? What if... Computer Science Major.

Windows reset didnt work on the SSD that Macrium free created.

Did work on the original 1TB HDD, still in the case. So then I dug, dug dug on line until I found "DiskGenius" from a nice Chinese software company. That made a booting clone, with all the OEM partitions; almost 1 click.

I had reduced one on the 1TB so it would all fit onto a cheap 240G SSD from Amzn. Other free stuff complained "cant do larger to smaller", even with the reduced partition and unformatted space.

Figure it out then; the Chinese competition did. From a "hot" image too, while W10 was running. Via USB adapter as - of course, to save money - the optical drive only had a suitable data cable, would have to buy a second power cable to get the SSD powered. At least the MB still had a connector where you could plug it in...

Pretty expensive for a license to do that at ~$75, for a "once a year" thing, IMHO -

I have fixed a few disk clones that failed to boot using the matching bootable "windows repair disk". You make such a CD using the windows backup utility, and it has to match the windows version that you are cloning (32/64, win7,10,..). Now that PCs are dropping DVD drives, you will want to have a USB DVD as well as the USB-SATA adapter. Maybe you can ~burn a thumb drive version from an ISO, I dunno.

Note that Ubuntu is now too large for a 4.7G DVD, and you need to use a 8G+ thumb drive and thumb drive ISO writer software. It's just as well because the Ubuntu boot thrashes the DVD drive for a long time. Also note that a thumb drive that has been ~partitioned is not supported by windows, and if you want to reuse it, you have to use a Linux partition utility. You can Gparted from a "trial" version of Ubuntu, ie no SSD/HDD install.

Clonezilla can do useful things, but it may not be clear which drive is which, which is very dangerous. The free version of Macrium Free is no longer available from Macrium and you have to get it from 3rd parties, ie worrisome. When you buy an SSD, the vendor usually has a clone utility download that is restricted to their own drives.

Macrium Reflect can create a bootable DVD (and that’s what I did). Booting with this DVD allowed me to restore an image on my D: drive to my new M.2 2280 SSD drive. IM-Magic can take care of the repartitioning (for free).

I agree you don’t want to do this too often, but this laptop is only 6 years old. The CPU is till very fast, it has 32 GB RAM, 4K display, USB3, etc. so why buy something new? With the new SSD I can use this laptop for another 6 years or so. I mainly use this laptop for daily developing software in Visual Foxpro, and it will take even many more years to fill the harddrive.

Regards, Gerrit

Macrium Reflect can create a bootable DVD (and that’s what I did).
I did that also. Worked, then stopped working next time out of the drawer - as if the software knew...today's date, the date of the CD burn and "nope'd" me. I thought I'd just use that Disc indefinitely, for my yearly or so migration efforts. Very dim memory of playing with the BIOS date to see if I could trick the trickster; unsure if that allowed it to work, unsure of the mechanism used to say "enough trial for you!".

Now I have the above referenced "DiskGenius" .zip on a USB stick. We'll see what happens next time I go to it -

Moore's Law at play here, but I just ran CB R15 (in WINE, running on Linux) on my $500 laptop, just out of curiosity, and got a score of 1682.
LOL, I never spend that much for a computer.
no gaming, compiling , or heavy handed cad work has its advantages. I did just get a "new" laptop. DELL Precision 7530 i7 6core , 4 dimm , 3 nvme, touch for $300. Got lucky on the touch screen as it was not advertised as such..

Jeremy

I just upgraded my desktop after 8 years, because i.e. EasyEDA was nagging about a to weak graphics card and kicad wanted Win10 to run (I still was running W7).
So i bought an AM4-board with the 450 chipset new for about 70€. 2x 16GB DDR4 3200 new > 65€, a 512GB .M2 System "disk" new > 30€, a used Geforce GTX770 > 35€, a used Ryzen7 1800X 8-core cpu > 35€. My loved Asus Xonar D2X could stay, also a few data-ssd's, the cpu-cooler, the case, the psu.
Purrs like a kitten. Maybe I'll get it a little newer cpu, if I find one for a good price, because the "summit ridge" UEFI won't allow running the 3200 xmp-settings. But hey it's still 5 times faster as my old socket FM2+ A8-7650, and as I'm not a gamer, I'm happy with it.

http://www.routerlogin.net. No response, just comes back with cant connect to 0.0.0.0. Yeah thanks, that helps. http://192.168.2.1; cant connect to 0.0.0.0. About then, I'd like to punch the guy in the face who came up with that one as a usable response. Tried flush the cookies and site data, played with ipconfig; nothing would let me get to the login page...

So full reset and start from scratch with a 10T cable; all settings from router password on up. Now both addresses immediately go to the login screen.

I quit when - using a 10T cable direct to the router - the ipconfig indication of the router address went to the cable modem. Unplug that input, nothing - apparently no DHCP to my laptop when connected via the wire. Now it says http://192.168.2.1, which isnt the cable modem anymore...

All because I connected this WD NAS to one of the network ports and simply wanted to see the assigned address in the table, hosted by the router's webpage. Can see it now, that I can get to and through the login. Why not before? What could have possibly happened?

Well, all I can say is that was a complete waste of my time and upset me to no end. All I can think of is the router got some update which caused it to do things a bit differently until tended to - "He'll eventually find out".

Joined 2011
Paid Member
LOL, I never spend that much for a computer.
no gaming, compiling , or heavy handed cad work has its advantages. I did just get a "new" laptop. DELL Precision 7530 i7 6core , 4 dimm , 3 nvme, touch for $300. Got lucky on the touch screen as it was not advertised as such..
LOL $500 CAD = $371.55 USD

So I spent $71.55 USD more than you did, got a CPU about 1.8x faster https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5403vs3247/AMD-Ryzen-5-7535HS-vs-Intel-i7-8850H, 32GB RAM, 2TB nvme, and an nVidia RTX 2050. I feel like it was worth the $371.55.

I envy all those nvme slots you have though!

Last edited:
My W10 Garage system stopped playing audio, even though shows clearly it's connected to the MAudio NRV10, channels 7 and 8, just like always. No sound. Windows media player says - for the first time ever on files I commonly play - "Cant play this media - try something else" An MP3 file.

I tried a "Jamlab" USB; said it was connected to that as audio output; no music from its headphone jack. Tried the PCs internal audio, doesnt even recognize it as present... Tried a 4th device, another common USB audio interface, that one produced a signal.

Sheesh - all I wanted was a quick (yeah...) audio source to test an amplifier just before shipping it. Windows seems to be a good reason to keep an old iPod around; at least that will probably be a simple turn on and play. Versus another Windows merry go round.

My W10 Garage system stopped playing audio, even though shows clearly it's connected to the MAudio NRV10, channels 7 and 8, just like always. No sound. Windows media player says - for the first time ever on files I commonly play - "Cant play this media - try something else" An MP3 file.

I tried a "Jamlab" USB; said it was connected to that as audio output; no music from its headphone jack. Tried the PCs internal audio, doesnt even recognize it as present... Tried a 4th device, another common USB audio interface, that one produced a signal.

Sheesh - all I wanted was a quick (yeah...) audio source to test an amplifier just before shipping it. Windows seems to be a good reason to keep an old iPod around; at least that will probably be a simple turn on and play. Versus another Windows merry go round.
What computer hardware are you using.? Something is going on that has more to it than just the operating system. I hate to see anyone much less a well respecting and helpful member of this community having so many issues with a system even if it is just a garage computer.

Jeremy

Thanks! I played with it some last night. Turns out selecting channels 1/2 for output works AND makes the ridiculous Windows claim that it cant play that type of music file go away. None of the other channel pairs work, out to 9/10; only 1/2 now. Its like the inanimate object says "I can do better - I'll make it even stranger for you this time".

It's been raining like h*** the past few days and the garage - while physically dry - is a terrible outside place to keep electronic equipment. I brought the mixer up to my bedroom to "dry out". We'll see if those other channels start working afterward. The PC I use failed last year during the winter - no video - and recovered after a drying out in front of an indoor heater vent for a week. Its been working ever since, including this year so far.

Obviously, all the stuff I use out there is on its last legs - Big 'ol Dell PC Core 2 CPU - the NRV10 mixer needs a heat gun treatment every time I turn it on, to get it to connect via Firewire to the Dell W10 PC. So it sits on a piece of plywood so I can get at the chip with the heat gun, which takes under a minute. I havent got around to drilling holes in the side of the cabinet to accommodate that trick yet.

After a good drying out, the mixer still has the same problem. In Reaper, the 7-8 output works, in MS Media player, not anymore still. Something changed in the software that handles audio on that system. Just what I need to spend time chasing down; I even disabled updates on that system to try and prevent something like this. Nope - still somehow changed between that last power on and now -