• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Clearest Line Stage of All

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 898
It is a solution for low budget or where tranformer with 110/115v and 6v secundary are not available. With 6v sec. of the maintransformer connected to the 9v sec. the primary of the second transformer generate 110/115v. This solution cost for the 2 transformers about €22. The schematic can handle between 130 and 170v anode voltage.

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Unfortunately not. Here's the article, fairly detailed description, but I have not been able to find the schematic.

THE CLEAREST LINE STAGE OF ALL

I think I have all the Vacuum Tube Valley magazines, and I can't recall that line stage being mentioned. However, I certainly don't have a photographic memory - though I did go through all of the issues in the last couple of months.

Not the schematic from the article but the clearest tube linestage as stated by a lot of builders.

Call it a wire with gain.

6N16 12x preamp srpp/cathode follower with printed circuit board design.

This is very interesting - I've been looking for a buffer for a DAC and this is exactly what I'm after. I assume it's the topology rather than the valves themselves that make it so clear? I ask because exotic valves aren't easy or cheap to come by in South Africa, but the more common ones are. I have an E88CC in mind....

This is very interesting - I've been looking for a buffer for a DAC and this is exactly what I'm after. I assume it's the topology rather than the valves themselves that make it so clear? I ask because exotic valves aren't easy or cheap to come by in South Africa, but the more common ones are. I have an E88CC in mind....
Do you not have ebay in South Africa? The 6n16b-v tubes cost about $1.50 a piece from Russia or Bulgarien.

Do you not have ebay in South Africa? The 6n16b-v tubes cost about $1.50 a piece from Russia or Bulgarien.

The problem isn’t ordering and buying - our postal services are in a shocking state and it can take 3 months for something to get into your hands, and sometimes it never arrives. The solution is expensive courier services which ends up costing a lot. I can get the ECC family in a day or two quite reasonably

ECC 88 etc do not work well in SRPP stages.

6N16 is more crisp.
You will like it,i do.

Koifarm,nice to see your still around :)

Back to topic.

The Clearest Line Stage of All

Yep, it was a 4P1L, DHT
But a hell to make,lots of howling tubes to silence.

Now working on a 6V6 preamp with fixed bias ,it is close to DHT and much easier to make.(the last picture)
YouTube

Attachments

• c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 318
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 319
  • TKsch 2.jpg
    TKsch 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 343
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.