The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Siegfried Linkwitz told me that if it's not in San Francisco on the water it's not Burning Amp and probably wouldn't attend. Maybe back at the Presidio Yacht club? A great place for a get-together and auditioning stuff sequentially like we did the first couple of years. Will also check into places like the Firehouse at Ft Mason but the Ft. Mason people are being snarky about that too.

Thanks Wavebourne!

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've got some ideas. It isn't too late!

Oh:
Papa Pass wants to have it near Sea Ranch where his coastal house is! Sea Ranch is about 3 hours north of San Francisco. Fantastically beautiful area, but how many will drive up and pay for a hotel?

AR2, SY and I started the thing back in the day. Now I'm the only one actively involved and produce the show. Nelson isn't involved in the show other than showing up with lots of cool stuff to say and show which is a hell of a lot actually, everything in fact.

Mark :sarge:

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oh, he claims they do have some facilities quite a slog for those in Sunnyvale though!
There are some possibilities slightly south of S.F. too, which I'll consider. Not as cool in some ways but maybe cooler in their own way, with lot's of rooms, and even thick carpeting!
And closer for our "Valley" friends. If they come through then I can probably get everyone to come if the facilities are more conducive to auditioning..

Last edited:
Siegfried Linkwitz told me that if it's not in San Francisco on the water it's not Burning Amp and probably wouldn't attend. Maybe back at the Presidio Yacht club? A great place for a get-together and auditioning stuff sequentially like we did the first couple of years. Will also check into places like the Firehouse at Ft Mason but the Ft. Mason people are being snarky about that too.

Thanks Wavebourne!

+1

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I realize it's mostly a local event, so I certainly acquiesce to the guys who volunteer to make it all happen.

I will tell you that, as a person travelling in from outside California, my Burning Amp experience was great, but my San Francisco experience was ludicrously expensive and rather miserable.

Let's be honest, I was there to see Pass, and without him the event is basically a local hi-fi club, not an international happening. So, I can see where making the event convenient for him to attend is both practical and respectful, and that gets my vote.

Whatever you chose, you have my gratitude and support for putting it on. :)

how safe is oakland, these days? it used to have a pretty 'rough' reputation; as in, you want to be careful after dark.

remember, many of us will be bringing lots of one-of-a-kind gear, some expensive gear and we will be carrying things to/from the cars, maybe even leaving some stuff in the cars. the safety of the area has to be considered.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(also chased by a 250lb transvestite/sexual at night, huh)

ROFL

I stayed on the first floor of a two-star on Lombard. A big fight broke out right outside my room around midnight. I think it had something to do with a local sporting event called the "World Series" or something like that. So, I wandered out to get away from the noise and the rest of my night turned into Scorceses's "After Hours" :)

Note to self: Never leave the hotel room.

P.S. This is all in good fun of course. I wouldn't want any San Franciscans to think I'm SF bashing. It was one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been in. I'm just a country mouse, that's all.

Last edited:
How bout Half Moon Bay

My company is in Redwood Shores. Whenever we need a company offsite, we go out to Half Moon Bay. Short drive south of SF, right on the ocean, and pretty reasonable rates for conference rooms. Beautiful drive down the coast. 20mins from the airport.
Brew house next door, plus very good clam shack across the road on the docks.

Attachments

• HMB thumb.jpg
    HMB thumb.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 265
no photoshop..

Just a snap with my cell phone. Aug 23, 2014.

Go each year around late Aug or mid Sept.

Never fogged in yet but maybe just lucky. I know they get fog but maybe less at this time of year? :confused:

Attachments

• Phone back up Aug 23 2014 191.jpg
    Phone back up Aug 23 2014 191.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Phone back up Aug 23 2014 190.jpg
    Phone back up Aug 23 2014 190.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Phone back up Aug 23 2014 056.jpg
    Phone back up Aug 23 2014 056.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 264
There are a slew of hotels just South of SFO. I want to an audio show at one of them a few months back. Oakland will have the same business kind of hotels, but I was suggesting something like Jack London Square where there's night life and all the police. (of course the police might be more dangerous than the bad parts of town)
Best Meeting Spaces in Oakland, California | Visit Oakland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.