The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for the enthusiasm...

We need 4-6 listening rooms, which can be smaller than what we had at Ft. Mason for at least 8 hours, and a larger presentation room that will accommodate about 110 people for a couple of hours. We paid about $2500 for the space at Ft. Mason.

Points for an interesting/accessible place with easy parking. things like hotels or converted large houses could work well, as well as some schools. A bit less concrete than Ft Mason would help the acoustics. and an adjacent bar/restaurant would be handy too. Places that are used for weddings are generally way over our budget..

I wonder how the head-fi guys end up getting hotel meeting rooms, good parking and easy commuting every year, sometimes more than once a year?

I prefer the diyaudio crowd over the headfi guys, but I like going to shows so I go to every one I can.

I would not suggest having them at the same time and same place - but it might be worth some discussion just in case it does make sense. 2 groups could book and secure a better deal than just 1, right?

I have nothing against san fran, but its a hassle to drive there, its expensive and at the end of the day when our eyes are tired, driving thru the city is not the safest thing.

so, going into the city 'for fun' is understandable, but this is a lot more like work, for those of us who bring things, do table-duty and then pack up and drive our gear home.

and while we're at the event, we are not really 'enjoying the city' at all! we are there to see the gear, each other and it could be inside a totally enclosed dome and we would not know or care about the diff ;)

so, I 'get' that the city guys like being in the city, but the cost is MUCH higher and travel to/from the city is usually not fun. it stresses everyone out; I've never seen anyone ENJOY driving into/out-of san francisco....

I'll go where the show is; but I'd like to put another nudge in for a non-city location, for all the reasons I mentioned above.

and maybe it would make sense to at least have a dialog with the 'other group' to see if a combined event would even be sensible. their goals are not our goals, generally, even though a lot of people do frequent both sites.

Being an out-of-town traveler into San Fran to BAF, I very much enjoy the location, and use this as an excuse to visit the city. :) :D :) :) :D

Having it in some random hotel somewhere in the general bay area is not particularly appealing.

My $0.02

so, when you are at the audio event, HOW MUCH of the city are you seeing?

why can't you do the tourst thing on your own?

honestly, bundling the two makes zero sense to me. I'm here to see the audio stuff and the audio people, NOT the city that its hosted in. I could care less about the hosting city - I can see a city any time I want and I can make a vacation any time I want. so can you.

if you want to see the city, you won't during the show unless you are a half-day'er. you can see the city the day before, the day after, etc.

I really find it odd that people use the 'vacation in the city' as a reason to have higher priced venues - and we spend 100% of the time INDOORS!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Lol. Pleasant tone you have there...

I can't directly answer your questions, it will just torque me off. How I design my days around the event is mine to do.

I strongly enjoy the idea of continuing somewhere in the city.

Again, and as I said before, my $0.02

sorry if my 'tone' was not to your liking.

but to me, this event is all about one thing: AUDIO and sharing of info with each other (ok, maybe that's two things, lol).

you are free to book more days for your vacation plans. nothing about this audio event should affect that.

otoh, I'm being told that the 'vacationers' want to force the rest of us to endure extra hassle in driving, parking and venue pricing.

so, please do book extra time in the city and enjoy it. but this event is an indoors event and being in the city for an indoor event makes no sense to me. we pay higher prices and get to see indoors for the whole day. I just don't understand this.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I found this place online. It's a little off the beaten path, acoustics are okay, rates are cheap though. :)

Attachments

• bates.jpg
    bates.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 209
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
'Burning Amp' is Papa's baby, so I say if he wants one this year and isn't too worn out from RMAF, he can host it at the Pass Labs warehouse and campground! (visions of RV convoy to Sacramento)
Papa, are you there?

Papa is Papa , but I believe that BAF is a child between AR2 and Variac ( AR2 being a mother , at least to my knowledge)

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself. Don't ban me :)

Baaad Mr. MR

:clown:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
AR2, Variac, and I are all Pass disciples, so we'd find BAF much less appealing if Papa wasn't there. So we should make BAF arrangements around his wishes?
Also, Siegfried Linkwitz is another guru who I'd sorely miss if he were not there, so likewise we should check his availablity before setting a date?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.