The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have found a "eco-friendly" way to get ZM to BAF.

Only a couple of problems to overcome tho
1) This aircraft is brand new technology - it runs on solar power - and so someone (I won't suggest any names - but it won't be me - will need to "borrow" ;) it from it's current owners for "awhile". :rolleyes:
2) It is a single seat aircraft - so ZM will need to get a pilot license - Note: to be a pilot involves occasional random testing for the use of non-prescribed drugs. Not that this testing would be any problem for ZM - but maybe for others. :cool:
3) This is not the fastest aircraft ever made - in fact it's pretty slooooooow - only 75K per hour - so it will take 5 or 6 days of constant flying - which is a problem when it comes to things like sleeping and eating - and getting rid of "residue". :eek::eek::eek:

Hey - Juz trying ta help out a little!!!! :D:D:D
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-...irst-international-flight?cid=NL_EETimesDaily

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will I be there this time ?

After so many attempts at trying to get to the BAF and thwarted by events out of my control , I might just be able to make it there this time ! I will also want to go to the RMAF.
I guess one has to fly down to Denver ? Is it better to stay at the hotel where the event is held or elsewhere ?
Any inexpensive places to stay close to the BAF venue ?
I'd need that only from the day before to the day after. After that I'd move over to friends homes which unfortunately are not too close to the venue. Might add that I do not plan to drive in the US . Most importantly we drive on the left side here and getting used to the right side just for a short while isn't a good idea !
Cheers,
Ashok

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ashok,

If you need a place the day before , during and after BAF, there will be various people in sleeping bags on my living room floor! We can supply the bag, but you need to decide if you want to rough it.

As far as RMAF yes, you should stay at the hotel where the event is. It makes everything easy. And the savings in cab fare makes up for any difference in price..

Mark

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the offer Mark. I don't mind sleeping one night in a bag on the floor.
Actually I am trying to get in touch with a friend who used to live right inside SFO. He wasn't too far away from the Golden Gate bridge as far as I can remember. He might have moved. Should know after a couple of calls this weekend.
If that doesn't work, I could get dropped at your place the previous evening and get picked up after the event. Will let you know in a couple of days.
As soon as this is clear I will start booking tickets.

I agree with you about staying at the hotel for the RMAF. I also figured out the same thing that commuting would be a minimum of $20/- if not more ( as mentioned on the web ) from another hotel. So staying at the hotel makes sense plus no travel time and associated problems.

I was considering flying in to Denver on the 14th morning and leaving on the 16th evening. Making that a 2 night stay. Does this sound OK?
I will probably get into the US much earlier. Don't want to go through these events while I'm recovering from jetlag.

Thanks,
Ashok.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The new thread for the logistics, room assignments, volunteers, etc. I started here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/190560-burning-amp-2011-schedules-info.html

now has a listing of rooms. Please subscribe to the thread, and post which room you want and what you'll bring. Also post to volunteer- its fun, and we'll need lots of you. Please post again evne if you've alread y posted on this thread about the subject.

General discussion about BAF and how great it is, and discussions about ZM using alternative travel,
should remain here in this thread. ;)

Mark

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
snapshot from my crystal ball

... Jaccovitty & Danskeboy , wasting Jacco's baggage , in AR2's attic , day before BAF

:p

( in same time - Mighty ZM is seeding black holes in "Papa's Pub " room .......

Attachments

• J & M.jpeg
    J & M.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Eer, anyone have a suggestion for a hotel near the marina ? (or a funeral parlor)

Hi Jacco,
I used to live 2 minutes from Fort Mason and although there are no hotels in the immediate vicinity, you have a couple of options. From Fort Mason, it is about a 15-20 minute walk (5min cab ride) to the Fisherman's Wharf area, which has multiple hotel choices.
If you want to save a penny or two, you can find a couple of pretty decent Hotels and Motels along Lombard Street. If you search on Yahoo or Google for "Hotels San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf" or "[..]Lombard Street" you'll get plentiful results.
The Lombard Street hotels are pretty much the same distance, just at a 90 degree angle difference... :)

It's hard to spend more than $15 on a cab ride between the Marina and downtown, so you could probably pick whatever you like between FM and - say - Union Square.
Stefan

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Although it was fun to see so many interesting electronic projects at the last BA, I think that it would a nice balance to get more speaker projects in the mix. I understand that in the past there have been more of that kind of thing, but at the last event things were pretty skewed towards amplification, etc.

For speaker demos, there would need to be an open space. Honestly, the room geometry in the Fort Mason Center and the fact that all surfaces are hard and reflecting, make it a poor place for listening. Adding sound adsorption here and there would be a move in the right direction, but who would pay for that? This stuff is not cheap or small...

Being a speaker guy, I am interested in seeing electronics and speakers come towards each other. I think that there are some interesting possibilities, e.g. active speakers. Perhaps there could even be some collaboration between the two camps for the next BA?

-Charlie

Ok we're interested in the other people with loudspeakers that you mentioned would be interested in showing at BA
We will have many moving blankets to damp the rooms. The way we'll use them should work very well

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.