The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Due to a personal financial crisis I have sold both my Boominator and my Roskilde ticket. So barring that I can find volunteer work (you're ll welcome to help me find some volunteer work at Roskilde if you happen to know anyone needing it) I'm not going to Roskilde for the first time since 1997. The Boominator is going to Metal Meet and Rock Werchter, btw.

The strong side of the Boominator has always been it's clear midrange with good depth and clarity on voices. It can cope with even layered brass music but a single piano could be a little better but then I'm comparing to my home speakers which are really good at that.

Due to a personal financial crisis I have sold both my Boominator and my Roskilde ticket. So barring that I can find volunteer work (you're ll welcome to help me find some volunteer work at Roskilde if you happen to know anyone needing it) I'm not going to Roskilde for the first time since 1997. The Boominator is going to Metal Meet and Rock Werchter, btw.

The strong side of the Boominator has always been it's clear midrange with good depth and clarity on voices. It can cope with even layered brass music but a single piano could be a little better but then I'm comparing to my home speakers which are really good at that.

Sorry to hear that Saturnus.. Set up some sort of account, and im sure people will pitch in, transfering some money for you to buy a ticket.. :)

I for one wouldnt mind sending you 100dkr for all the help you've provided me during my builds and im sure others would too :)

Im back with another stupid question, or it feels so anyway.

Is there any reason not to use 4 peaces of 6 volt batteries in a serie to get 24 volts? I can get my hands on Panasonic LC-R067R2P (6v, 7.2 Ah) rather cheap. Im going to use Sure´s 2x25w board and it should survive up to 32V. Will there be a problem if i also use 12 volts (2 of the batteries) for example USB chargers? will the uneven consumption result in problems? The plane is to use a ctek charger for 24 batteries.

Supersperm

I would say no, the 91db/w/m is probably to love for the SPA-10PA. There is some piezo horns that go down to 1.8 Khz that should do the job. looke a few pages back. But this is more a guess from my part.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone here can help me with a few questions :)

My setup is:
AMP9 Basic
4 x P.Audio HP-10W.
4 x P.Audio PHT-407N.

How would I ideally go about setting them up?

Saturnus told me to put the P.Audio PHT-407N in series with a 4 uF cap between them at both sides of the Boominator. Would this 4.7 uF capacitor be close enough?

The HP-10W are of course going to be paralleled for 4 Ohm impedance but I need to use a low-pass filter. Could I use this 2-way 250W 2.5Khz/12dB filter?

And lastly, how do I set the input cap on the AMP9 Basic to cut at around 800 Hz as per Saturnus' advice?

Thanks for any answers and inputs! I will definitely give a beer at Roskilde Festival ;)

@Smoothy I found post u where talking about, but they seem quite big and expensive. Is 4 db really that much? Or do the bass drown the Piezo totally? Me and numbers are like oil and water...

no promises here but i think so yes. look at this one SFS-V2 Aka Festivalstereobygge #2 - Minhembio forum i have been speaking with him and he thinks that it works perfectly, the limited "sound spread" you get by using a horn is, by him, not o problem.

Im the guy Smoothy is talking about. i found my Piezos on the internet again and here is the link if you want to look: HENK'S - MGR CH-5 A

Sensitivity: 95 dB.
Freq: 2000-20000 Hz.

They work well, outside they spread the sound nicely but indoor they have a noticable narrow sweetspot. If you have some sort of equalizer (in the iphone/mp3player) you can easily correct the difference in sensibility between bas-piezos. I also covered them in bitumen/bitumex so they are a bit heavier and there is NO resonance and harsh "s" sounds anymore. The bitumex or plastic padding cover is a must with these big plastic horns.

Im the guy Smoothy is talking about. i found my Piezos on the internet again and here is the link if you want to look: HENK'S - MGR CH-5 A

They work well, outside they spread the sound nicely but indoor they have a noticable narrow sweetspot. If you have some sort of equalizer (in the iphone/mp3player) you can easily correct the difference in sensibility between bas-piezos. I also covered them in bitumen/bitumex so they are a bit heavier and there is NO resonance and harsh "s" sounds anymore. The bitumex or plastic padding cover is a must with these big plastic horns.

It's a must on all plastic horns, no matter how big or small in my opnion. It does make a noticeable difference.

Thnx for the reply :)

Would this work then? Dämppapp, Bitumen - Biltema

isen´t 120Ohm a bit musch? I was thinking a 15-33 Ohm för the 1.8KHz horn.

He wrote 12 Ohm ;)

But I think that's too little. I'd recommend 33-47 ohm as a starting point for experimentation. For example, you could buy 4 100 Ohm, and then see what is best. With 4 100 ohm you can build all these values:

400 (4s)
300 (3s)
250 (2p2s)
200 (2s)
150 (2p1s)
133 (3p1s)
100 (1s or 2s of 2p)
75 (3s1p)
67 (2s1p)
50 (2p)
33 (3p)
25 (4p)