The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I didnt measure exactly, but guessing about 3 mm on 1 side and 1 mm on the other. (my middle braces were not perfectly alligned).
But that was using the hifi grills, the PA grills are a little thicker right? So with PA grills the gaps would be less.

Well with a PA grills, sealing band and perfectly aligned centerbrace I'd call that pretty darn close to perfect.

Btw, just so you know for next time maybe, or to new builders. The way to align the centerbrace correctly is to cut a piece of the innermost piece of the port/handle assembly that is precisely 132mm. The remaining pieace is wide enough for the port/handle, and the two 132mm pieces will make sure you align the centerbrace precisely in the middle. Just screw them in and remove them when the centerbrace is fixed with screws.

The slightly more complicated way to do it is to not fix the centerbrace before everything is assembled but not glued. The woofers themselves will then force the centerbrace into the correct position. And then it's just marking up the center line from the outside and start predrilling screw holes.

Last edited:
You can also get the HP-10w fromHIFI KIT ELECTRONIC AB - Högtalarelement HiFi Hembio Billjud/Marin Studio PA/DJ Kablage Tillbehör just search for it and it will show up. Almost the same price as ljudia.se to. I looked at the first hp-10w selling store-link that Saturnus posted and noticed that the dustcover of this version were pretty large compared to the ordinary version. Does this change the parameters in any way? Great price i must say but the shipping were not fun at all. Is there any chance of making a group buy in the future or even an order directly from P.audio maybe? Then we could have our own logo or maybe a different color on the cone just to make Saturnus design even more eye-catching=)?

Is there any chance of making a group buy in the future or even an order directly from P.audio maybe? Then we could have our own logo or maybe a different color on the cone just to make Saturnus design even more eye-catching=)?

That's a great idea, although why not opt for the Signature parts (P.audio PHT-407N and P.Audio SN-10MB Series II) if we can get them cheap enough? ;)

Have in mind it will take around 10 to 12 weeks for them to make Build To Order (BTO).

They're just using an old picture. The parameters and measurements listed match the new version.

If a group buy is possible we could probably tweak some of the parameters to be even better suited for the build. And a logo would be really cool too.

More pressing though is a group buy for the tweeters. Really annoying that those bubble tweeter keeps going out of stock.

If I even remotely had the cash to do I'd do both and sell it in sets with all primary needed parts, like grills, woofers, tweeters, resistors, and ok quality cable.

That's a great idea, although why not opt for the Signature parts (P.audio PHT-407N and P.Audio SN-10MB Series II) if we can get them cheap enough? ;)

Have in mind it will take around 10 to 12 weeks for them to make Build To Order (BTO).

There's also the possibility to have a custom made version of a cross between the Eminence Basslite CH2010 and the Deltalite II 2510 with correct parameters. I would cut almost 5kg of the Boominator. Coupled with a P.audio PHT-407N that would be really close to perfect while still being relatively affordable, ie. not much more expensive than the currently used parts.

Actually looking at the brand new Deltalite II 2510 right now, and it looks like it's almost specifically made for the Boominator. All parameters are pretty much perfectly spot on for this use.

Last edited:
You could have a 4 times larger panel and still not worry. As long as the effective charge to capacity is 1:10+, there's absolutely no reason to worry. Yours is 5: (2*8*12) ~ 1:40.

You should definitely set your posts per page higher :D I'm only seeing 27 pages.

Btw, Phaedras, what the precise dimensions of those tweeters? My specific questions are regarding:

Height, width, mounting plate width, depth from beneath the mounting plate, height of top of horn rounding over mounting plate, finally spacing from edge to beginning of horn rounding. Oh, and if you could estimate corner rounding radius.

Ahh thanks a lot.. The panels are working EXCELLENT.. I can easily charge something from the current they are producing..

Haha maybe I should.. I' seeing 130+ pages on this thread :p

I measured the tweeters, but did it with a ruler as I dont have a caliper yet.. its stuck somewhere between hong kong and Denmark :/

But I guess my measurements give a pretty good idea.. Sorry for the hand made pictures etc.. And btw, I had a brain seizure when I made the picture, so ofc MM is CM! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's also the possibility to have a custom made version of a cross between the Eminence Basslite CH2010 and the Deltalite II 2510 with correct parameters. I would cut almost 5kg of the Boominator. Coupled with a P.audio PHT-407N that would be really close to perfect while still being relatively affordable, ie. not much more expensive than the currently used parts.

That sounds really compelling. A lighter, better sounding Boominator which is a bit more expensive. Set up a DIY shop ;)

Now we just need a group-buy on 3.3V 16Ah 20C LiFePo4 cells (the beefiest I've found yet), which would shed some of the weight too. 12V 16Ah LifePo4 battery weighs approximately 2 KG and 4 KG for 24V 16Ah (or 12V 32Ah configuration).

If we go really mad then a custom made self-adhesive solar panel from PowerFilm, or similar. These have amorphous properties with monocrystalline efficiencies, and being only about 0.5mm thick, and completely flexible meaning there are no solid parts that can break. A panel that would cover one-half of the Boominator minus room in the middle for contacts and such would have about 4-5W capacity and weigh about 100g.

If we go really mad then a custom made self-adhesive solar panel from PowerFilm, or similar. These have amorphous properties with monocrystalline efficiencies, and being only about 0.5mm thick, and completely flexible meaning there are no solid parts that can break. A panel that would cover one-half of the Boominator minus room in the middle for contacts and such would have about 4-5W capacity and weigh about 100g.

I would maybe be interested in this since i havent bought any solar panels yet :)

Just talked to Ljudia.se and the will receive new HP-10Ws in July/August. Although they are working on getting a replacement, whatever that might be...

I'm all in for a group order on both tweeters and woofers! :)

I can confirm this statement. I talked to Magnus from Ljudia.se (who btw is a nice guy) and he said that I bought the last 4x HP-10W. I can also confirm that they will receive new HP-10W in July/August and that the demand for these drivers in particular has increased to 4 times as high at Ljudia in the last couple of months.

I have not yet received the order so they have just sold out.

Actually looking at the brand new Deltalite II 2510 right now, and it looks like it's almost specifically made for the Boominator. All parameters are pretty much perfectly spot on for this use.

This sounds freaking awesome. They also have a little bit higher SPL (on the datasheet). Although depth is not the same, but that's nothing masonite can't take care off.

Also the whole thing about ordering everything custom made makes me smile. That's definately a great idea and will give a little more "community spirit" when showing off. :cool:

Would you recommend the eminence speaker in this design using same volumes or would one need to recalculate everything? :)

EDIT: Actually when looking at the frequency response on the paper it looks pretty weird above 1k hz. Any comments on that?

Last edited:
I can confirm this statement. I talked to Magnus from Ljudia.se (who btw is a nice guy) and he said that I bought the last 4x HP-10W. I can also confirm that they will receive new HP-10W in July/August and that the demand for these drivers in particular has increased to 4 times as high at Ljudia in the last couple of months.

I have not yet received the order so they have just sold out.

This sounds freaking awesome. They also have a little bit higher SPL (on the datasheet). Although depth is not the same, but that's nothing masonite can't take care off.

Also the whole thing about ordering everything custom made makes me smile. That's definately a great idea and will give a little more "community spirit" when showing off. :cool:

Would you recommend the eminence speaker in this design using same volumes or would one need to recalculate everything? :)

EDIT: Actually when looking at the frequency response on the paper it looks pretty weird above 1k hz. Any comments on that?

It's hardly surprising they're selling out of HP10Ws. It's festival season after all :D

The Deltalite II's, ie. the new version, is plug'n'play except for the depth which is fixable. Nothing needs to be recalculated but naturally they should be filtered. Probably a single coil with a xo fs at about 1300Hz should tame the rise and peak completely and make the real xo fs at around 2800Hz. The problem then is if the bubble piezo will go that low, and sound ok doing so. The standard square or round Motorola replicas certainly won't go low enough to meet the deltalite's. But given the price of those deltalite's maybe you should also go for the p.audio pht407n's in that case too. And it would probably also be a good idea with a 4 channel amp like amp9b and an active or pllxo then.

Are you considering the Deltalite as a replacement in the Signature? I'd say its a steep price climb from the ~30euro for the HP10w if its only a marginal improvement in sound :)

In sound quality it's somewhere between the HP-10W and the SN2-10MB. The Deltalite are actually quite highly regarded. But you're missing the point of them though. They're about 1kg lighter each. That combined with LFP cells instead of SLAs would mean a Boominator weighing as little 16kg including batteries.

In sound quality it's somewhere between the HP-10W and the SN2-10MB. The Deltalite are actually quite highly regarded. But you're missing the point of them though. They're about 1kg lighter each. That combined with LFP cells instead of SLAs would mean a Boominator weighing as little 16kg including batteries.

Ahh then it makes a bit more sense.. Because I was wondering what would justify a price tag 3 times as high for something almost similar :)

Did you see the measurements of the tweeters btw?