The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Are you sure silicone is gonna hold it in place?

Before I close the box I test it with everything connected and put the top piece in place without any glue or anything just to listen to it shortly. I've experienced that the top piece rattles.

Of course if you put screws in it also it will not rattle as much or hardly not at all. But like the idea of the box being absolutely shut apart from the port.

Not that it's me to answer, but I'm quite sure that no dampening material is used in the boominator.

Basically what Rubenn said. Except I must stress not to use silicone with acetic acid (the stuff that smells like vinegar) or you will need to open it up later and replace everything inside.

You must not use dampening material of any kind. This is pretty important actually. It will be a long theoretical discussion why it would be a very bad idea though so I'll leave that for another day, if ever.

Could you go into detail about what exactly is the problem with specific types of silicone?
Do you mean that the fumes could ruin the woofers even though the box is vented?

Not could. Over time, I'm 100% sure acetic acid fumes will ruin your drivers, as well as all exposed cables inside.

There's a reason why acetic acid silicone is completely forbidden to be used in or near electronic circuits.

Good, I already sealed the box with it and was really scared there for a few minutes : )

The boominator is playing, nothing is rattling in the box and its about 10 times better sounding and louder than the old boombox so Im happy.
Thanks for all the support along the way Saturnus, I owe you atleast a few bears, see you at the festival : )

Nahaz Boominator

Here are some pics.
I need to sandpaper all surfaces, the glue, uneven edges and the silicone and then paint it. But not long now : )

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 597
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 577
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 247
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 226
How nice to see everyones builds work out! I'm in the final stages of my own build and will post images when it´s finnished.

I remembered seeing only one boominator at last years Roskilde festival. It was places on a trolley at the beach situated ner the large pond, and had the Zoomax piezos intended for the original design.

Hopefully I will see ( and hear!) some more at this years edition of the festival!

Just for fun:

Beats™ by Dr. Dre™ Beatbox™ iPod® Dock (English/French)

Some similarities considering the layout och the elemtents. Perhaps they've seen the original design...

Here are some pics.
I need to sandpaper all surfaces, the glue, uneven edges and the silicone and then paint it. But not long now : )

Cool.. Looks like you are making progress :) Looks good..

Here's a few more pictures of mine now with the new tweeters and the last additions to my temporary compartment lid.. Can't make the lid I want as I don't have the tools necessary atm.. But i'll get there :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

@Saturnus

I was wondering.. Will it hurt my batteries to let my boominator charge without music playing? I've noticed that the voltage easily climbs to 15-15,5+..

If you don't remember, i'm using 2 x 8Ah sla's and 2 8v 5.2w panels in series..

I seem to recall you mentioning something about its just trickle charging the batteries.. But I do think the voltage is a bit high.. Need I not worry? :)

Last edited:
I seem to recall you mentioning something about its just trickle charging the batteries.. But I do think the voltage is a bit high.. Need I not worry? :)

You could have a 4 times larger panel and still not worry. As long as the effective charge to capacity is 1:10+, there's absolutely no reason to worry. Yours is 5: (2*8*12) ~ 1:40.

Saturnus posted a list a few pages back with all the sites that sells the HP10w.. Try checking out those places.. Should be manageable to find them somewhere :)

You should definitely set your posts per page higher :D I'm only seeing 27 pages.

Btw, Phaedras, what the precise dimensions of those tweeters? My specific questions are regarding:

Height, width, mounting plate width, depth from beneath the mounting plate, height of top of horn rounding over mounting plate, finally spacing from edge to beginning of horn rounding. Oh, and if you could estimate corner rounding radius.

Last edited:
Here are some pics.

Can't wait to see the final result. Btw, did my calculation end up being correct in that you could glue the magnets directly on the 12mm centerbrace and it fits in width? If so that's great news for making it even simpler for people to build.

No unfortunately not exactly, I needed to fill the gap with a piece of masonite or similar and fill up with glue. But its pretty close.

I wont be doing the actual painting myself, we have a artist (painter) in the camp and I gave him complete artistic freedom over the paintjob. So Im just as excited to see the final result : )

Last edited: